Winds Of Freedom; Journey To The Heart Of The Storm

Evil has hidden themselves beyond a newely impenetrable hurricane hoarding adventure from those who seek it. Do you dare to dive into the eye of the storm?
Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Re: Winds Of Freedom; Journey To The Heart Of The Storm

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Haylin and Cass leaned into each other as the staff’s light show went on and Shabuto monologued on its importance and his history. It was unfortunate to hear he was taken from somewhere and barely knew anything about his past. Haylin could remember the stories he was told of generations before him in addition to his immediate family’s own intimate history, it baffled him thinking of a situation where he couldn’t remember those who came before him.

“The only good that comes from knowing that someone tried to separate you from your loved ones is knowing that you’re worth isolating.”

Haylin found himself often leaning on silver linings on storm clouds. He set out from the Highlands in search of a new paradigm, something his forefathers sought from The Crucible, a chance to take destiny into their own hands. Shabuto’s story was supposedly laid out before him, but he looked ready to take the narrative into his own hands. At least he had a good story and some friends he could lean on in his travels.

“Beneva is definitely a weird one. I try to stay clear of her.”

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Post by Shabuto Venkage »

“The only good that comes from knowing that someone tried to separate you from your loved ones is knowing that you’re worth isolating.”
"Heh, well that's definitely one way to look at it"

It was almost comforting in a weird way. Whatever the reasons despite it all Shabuto was still here alive and well. All things considered, despite the turmoil of his former life what he held in front of him right now was the freedom to go whichever path the winds told him. Feeling like a bit of a debbie downer though he decided to take the focus off himself AFter all he had been itching to hear Haylin deal with all this. How the hell did he wind up on this island a decade ago?
“Beneva is definitely a weird one. I try to stay clear of her.”
" Understatement of the year if you ask me. The locals love and adore her. They say she is almost single-handled taking care of the health of Erosia. She never requires anything in return and no one can remember when she first came to the land. How I've heard it...she's just always been there for them. Though if you ask me, there's something unwelcoming about her. I can't name it but I know something is up with her."

He said looking down at the medallion she gifted him.

"So, you and Cass. How'd you two wind up here anyway? Where is home?"

He inquired as the glow from earlier remained in his peripheral.
"I had forgotten...What the tone of liberty sounded like"

"To think the path to freedom. Would be soaked in blood"

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

“She’s a prime example of everything that’s wrong with this place.”

Haylin started in on his assessment of Beneva, pacing next to the river while recounting the decade he’s spent lost on this island. Beneva was one of the first people he built a relationship with and the first for him to break off from. She was one of the few staples in Erosia, a small collective of merchants, innkeepers, and businesspeople that keep the city running in the midst of permanent, prevalent peril. Myra turned out to be one of only 3 individuals Haylin felt were worthy of his and Cass’s trust.

“Of course she says she doesn’t require anything in return, but this island always gets its due. Nobody does anything for nothing and I wouldn’t trust her as far as Cass could kick her.”

Cass cooed and shook its head confidently.

“And they’d launch her to kingdom come.”

Cass held one of its feet up and Haylin lifted his own to meet the fowl’s in a lower body high four-five, the force resonating from their meeting like two boulders knocked together in midair.

“We’re originally from the Gafren Highlands on the Jaida Coast, you’ve probably never heard of it. I got here through a portal someone opened back during The Fall. All I remember was a shaking, then people started screaming uncharacteristically, then Cass shielded me from something behind us and we got sent through the portal to this god forsaken place.”

As he recounted his decade of trials and tribulations, Haylin kicked a pebble into the river, following it shortly before it disappeared into riverbed, absorbed into the textured pattern and almost indistinguishable from the pebbles already resting there. He found it ironic, a single pebble cast into moving waters becoming invisible underneath the flowing surface reflected a lot of his own experience on Rudral, from his arrival to his day to day, his life was absorbed into the flow of the island, another pebble on its riverbed. The difference rested in his own desire to be set apart so that one day he might return to homeland.

“Fast forward 10 years, add a few close calls, and you get to right now. Everything else is history.”

Haylin turned to Shabuto, heaving a swelled sigh as he looked into the newbie’s eyes, his own showing a tiny bit of dread from recounting his own adventures away from home.

“But I’d give anything for a comfy bed and a night without the stench of death creeping into my dreams.”

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

He wondered how it felt to have been raised in a culture of love, one that shared a bond of community and appreciation so deep they could forge connections with the wildlife around them. Shabuto considered himself knowledgeable in many ways when it came to nature. Though in many others disconnected. Since he joined the dark guild he was constantly been surrounded by steel metal, blood, and bone. It was just being here on this island and being able to smell the breeze and feel the mist of dawn on his skin. It was truly comforting. He wondered how it was to live a life like that and have it all taken from you in the blink of an eye.
Haylin turned to Shabuto, heaving a swelled sigh as he looked into the newbie’s eyes, his own showing a tiny bit of dread from recounting his own adventures away from home.

“But I’d give anything for a comfy bed and a night without the stench of death creeping into my dreams.”
He would not patronize his new companions with constient verbal promises but their story fanned the flames of passion in his heart. Despite this place being a haven for him for the people he was starting to solidify bonds with it was hell...and he wished to do nothing else but help them obtain their freedom. Shabuto whipped the map back out to double-check, they were in the right spot.

"Then we've nary a moment to spare, we're near the borders of SEED territory, The Shrine isn't far off. One more thing though"

He said as he faced Haylin.

"It's very likely we will encounter some heavy residence, I mean this is one of their most prominent strongholds. That said, we should reveal to each other our skill set. Whatever you're willing to share. Normally I'd say let's spar but I don't want to trigger any potential sensory mumbo by releasing too much naten."

That said for him it was fine if they stuck to just the basics, naten nature and signature strengths, and any weaknesses that could potentially create unexpected impacts. He wasn't expecting Haylin to divulge his weakness he doubted he had too much more trust in him than when they first locked eyes a few days ago. Nonetheless whatever he shared would help Shabuto's plan on how to handle getting into Seed's lair.

" As a gesture of good faith, I'll go first. My natures are wind and water I can resonate with currents that travel the planet. I'm still learning how it works, to be honest, but each day I feel myself grasping a better understanding of it. I, can also shape my bones into weapons, mostly arrows, and regenerate them rapidly. I am primarily a long-range fighter a bow being my chosen weapon but I'm no stranger to hand to hand if it comes down to it."

Shabuto on the other hand did not mind sharing what he had. For him, it was important for at least one of them to know tangible details about the other. Hopefully, they could either act well in sync or should they get separated be able to hold their own respecitly until the goal could be met. Either way he was ready to get to the meat and potatoes of this operation.

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

"Our skills? We can get pretty fired up."

Haylin shot Shabuto a wry smile and Cass snapped his beak proudly. The pair were well suited for combat, Haylin was raised on the Jaida Heights, living among the Cassowaries and hunting in the high grasses. The time Haylin and Cass spent together allowed them an instinctual bond, one that transcended the ability to be explained in simple words.

"The Gafren Cassowary is worth 10 men in brute strength all on their own. Me and Cass, Not even The Fall could keep us down.I've come up against SEED a few times before, but I never know what to expect. Even the grunts are in the same outfit, but their Arbiter Houses are all over the place. I hate it."

Haylin took a deep breath, stretching his body wide as he turned away from Shabuto, giving his body a once over shake off. Cass mirrored him, leaning his head low to the ground and extending his legs and flapping its little wings. They grunted in unison and relaxed, and a steamy haze lifted off their bodies for just a moment before the gentle winds carried it away.

"If you wanna hang back, let me and Cass get in and blow off some steam, that's fine. We're just trusting you not to ditch us."

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

"If you wanna hang back, let me and Cass get in and blow off some steam, that's fine. We're just trusting you not to ditch us."
"Heh depending on the layout that might not be such a bad idea."

The comment about them trusting him not to ditch them lingered in his ears a bit. There was a fair amount of pressure on his shoulders now as it was not just the two lives of his friends on the line, but two more now hung in the balance.

"I doubt Cass would let me get far. Right, Cass?"

A smirk, one he hoped conveyed that the thought was far from his mind. He brought them here, he would stand his ground.
"The Gafren Cassowary is worth 10 men in brute strength all on their own. Me and Cass, Not even The Fall could keep us down. I've come up against SEED several times before, but I never know what to expect. Even the grunts are in the same outfit, but their Arbiter Houses are everywhere. I hate it."
"...Originally I was sent here on a mission to infiltrate SEED. I was to join their ranks learn all I could and report back to my... Grixas"

He dared not use the term Lord nor master anymore. Shabuto was steadily embracing freedom and the ability to choose.

" That didn't go as planned obviously. Grixas didn't account that the storm would kill the vast majority of the slaves brought here...including the general who was orchestrating the exchange. A double agent loyal to him."

"Long story short Mara and Zayne also survived and saved my life as well."

He looked at the map a final time

" The secret entrance is supposed to be around here
A series of smaller mushrooms their hue all a series of blue that seemed to faintly echo in and out of brightness. They arc around as if forming some circle. How curious...
Shabuto looked around trying to pinpoint the spot Beneva told him about, the one that would lead to the caverns just outside of SEED's underground base.

What was it she said again? Something about a meeting place of the fae.

He pondered a moment while he looked around trying to decipher the slightly cryptic hint she gave him. As his eyes scanned the nearby landscape, at a relatively close distance of roughly 3 meters or so, he noticed the shimmering cloister of smaller mushrooms that formed a circle. The soft blue light they emitted gave off an almost inviting presence. Shabuto could feel the hairs on his arms stand...there was a presence here.

"Heh is that what I think it is?"

He made his way toward the formation. It was a very large arrangement of 6 mushrooms that varied in size color and if he looked closer.

"I met a farie once. Mischievous and capricious creatures who often make games of screwing with people. The little bastard almost got me killed Odd, these look like a cluster of several different types of fungi. Normally they are more... family-oriented. "

He squatted next to the circle, curiously tracing over the shrooms, his eyes watching the glimmers of light around them ebb and flow. The way the light swayed was almost rhythmic.

"I feel them here as well, similar yet different than the ones before. I wonder if I just..."

Shabuto would close his eyes his hand hovering over the plants. He would breathe in deeply and upon doing so feel a rush of pressure flow through his body like a mildly furiously gale. His body felt like air as if he could lift off the ground at any moment. His spirit was like a turbulent maelstrom no doubt reflective of how anxious he was right now. As he exhaled he tried to settle the storm in his heart bringing the chaos to a simmer. When he did this it was like Shabuto and the winds around him shared a wavelength his breaths matched the ebb and flow of the streams around him leyline.

"Sometimes it feels like I can hear the breath of the planet itself. Like we're breathing together"

As the naten began to coalesce around him Shabuto was able to see them, minor wind spirits congregating around both him and the circle. However this time there were other spirits that he had yet to see. What could they be?

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Shabuto Venkage wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:08 am

"Heh depending on the layout that might not be such a bad idea. I doubt Cass would let me get far. Right, Cass?"

A smirk, one he hoped conveyed that the thought was far from his mind. He brought them here, he would stand his ground.

"...Originally I was sent here on a mission to infiltrate SEED. I was to join their ranks learn all I could and report back to my... Grixas. That didn't go as planned obviously. Grixas didn't account that the storm would kill the vast majority of the slaves brought here...including the general who was orchestrating the exchange. A double agent loyal to him.

" The secret entrance is supposed to be around here."

Shabuto looked around trying to pinpoint the spot Beneva told him about, the one that would lead to the caverns just outside of SEED's underground base.
"I guess we'll mess around and find out."

Shabuto was almost right in that neither Cass nor Haylin would take more than a second to abandon this blank mission if Shabuto decided to turn tail. He'd have to be lucky to make it out of the fray without a Cassowary talon planted in his back, running him down to overtake him on the way out. Up until now, Haylin was slightly skeptical of the mission he was sent on, but Shabuto revealing the nature of his ordeal up until now softened Haylin's gaze. There's no point in comparing trauma, Haylin hadn't seen his family or a familiar face in ten years or more so he definitely related to his new associate's drive to reunite with his compatriots, especially considering the rest of their crew went down with the ship. Cass cawed and cooed softly while they chatted, surveying the surroundings and keeping vigilant.
Shabuto Venkage wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:08 am

"Heh is that what I think it is?"

He made his way toward the formation. It was a very large arrangement of 6 mushrooms that varied in size color and if he looked closer.

"Odd, these look like a cluster of several different types of fungi. Normally they are more... family-oriented. "

Shabuto would close his eyes his hand hovering over the plants. He would breathe in deeply and upon doing so feel a rush of pressure flow through his body like a mildly furiously gale. His body felt like air as if he could lift off the ground at any moment. His spirit was like a turbulent maelstrom no doubt reflective of how anxious he was right now. As he exhaled he tried to settle the storm in his heart bringing the chaos to a simmer. When he did this it was like Shabuto and the winds around him shared a wavelength his breaths matched the ebb and flow of the streams around him leyline.

"Sometimes it feels like I can hear the breath of the planet itself. Like we're breathing together"
"I can't even start to think I know what you mean by family-oriented, but I do know a thing or two about breathing exercises."

Watching Shabuto do his thing dealing with the fungi put Haylin in the mind of the highlands and their cascading hills of green undulating in the gale winds. Although the Jaida Coast was known for its warm and humid climate, the topography of the Jaida Heights and the Gafren Highlands made for some frigid cold nights when the skies were clear. Those nights were special and the Gafren practiced shared breath exercises with the cassowaries to emulate their strength and warmth. Haylin never actually got to practice with Cass, they only found each other just before setting out from the hills, but he remembered his family's practice with the cassowaries like a fond fever dream. He took a deep breath and sighed, waiting for an event or door to emerge.

Fate III
Drifter

Post by Fate III »

Naten danced around the young Venkage ebbing and flowing from him into the winds around him. As he inhaled he could feel the girth of the planet's leylines resonating with his being twisting and swirling around him. When naten exists in great deposits its fleeting essence can clump together creating spirits. Minor spirits were small wisps of particular natural energy given shape. This was not Shabuto's first time encountering spirits of such nature. Wind spirits filled the mighty tree of Azlan, however, water spirits were the ones that Shabuto did not recognize. As his presence grew the spirits would almost resemble little faeries dancing with each other before ultimately combining producing another type of spirit.

Storm Spirits

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

The trio of what appeared to be high ranking militant officers emerged from the horizon of the island. They carried with them a formidable presence with their matching uniforms and exuded an aura of discipline, unlike the careless and rash nature of their lower ranked members of the organization they was pliaging the hidden islet.

Each officer bore the same attire, a form fitting linen shirt, covered by their dark red jacket's that were covered in red and gold jewels. Their approach was silent, not so much as a yawn or drip of conversation was exchanged between the three. However, the distinguished figure among them, adorned with a cascade of medals, hinted at a history of valor and exemplary service, setting them apart as a leader of exceptional merit. As they returned to the entrance, their synchronized movements and formidable appearance left an indelible impression, one that couldn't be overlooked.

At the center of the approaching unit was an imposing and awe-inspiring male office whose pale white skin was a rare find on Vescrutia sunlit lands. He commanded attention with his robust physique, boasting a broad chest and massive arms that seemed sculpted for strength and imposed envy and fear on all who looked upon him. His towering presence instilled a sense of authority, as if his sheer physicality alone could uphold the balance of order and chaos. Clad in a crisply tailored uniform, he exuded a commanding aura, making it clear that he was not only a figure of power but also a force to be reckoned with.

While at his right and left were The twin female officers, tall and slender with snow white hair. They radiated a captivating beauty that belied the dangerous and lethal aura they effortlessly exuded. Despite being dwarfed by the hulking mass of muscle who led their party, it was impossible to overlook the magnetic presence of these formidable women. Their sharp gazes hinted at a depth of skill and determination, accentuating their graceful yet formidable demeanor. Their garb, differed from their commander, boasting skirts that just barely cover their upper thigh, leaving just enough mystery to encourage any testrone driven fool to overlook their lethality in warfare. In the shadow of the brawny figure, the twins stood as a striking testament to the fact that danger could manifest in the most alluring forms.

Hanging over the human titan's shoulders were several, barely conscious, bronze skinned women and one much darker male. He must've been towing close to a ton in human weight and unbeknownst to his hidden observers, had carried them on his back for countless miles,Trekking from deep in the fungal forest where many of the Akuma had chosen as their hiding grounds from their current Oppressors- Seed.

The silence was broken by an ark of red lightning shooting from the ground, blowing the cover of the hidden entrance high into the air and Out poured SEED grunts, scrambling from safety as of being chased by the devil himself.

Grunt: Outta my way... I don't wanna die here.

Said a few of the grunts in horrifying unity. Several of them crawled outta the hole in the ground and scurried in different directions, rushing past their commanding officers as if they were mere flies on a wall. A second, jolt of red lightning came hurtling from the heavens and was quickly accompanied by the harrowing screams of dying men last breaths. Outta the hole came a dozen Prisoners all clearly of Akuma descent, but one of them, much younger than the rest with eyes full of rage and electricity locked eyes with the Officers and their 'luggage,'

???: Bastards! You won't stop until you've rounded up every last one of us!

He shouted, his voice eeriely reverberating despite being in open space. Behind him lie a dozen or more Akuma, none boasting the rage, nor the youth of the willful fighter

Akuma group: It's the major and his lieutenants, were dead. Should've stayed in our cells where it was safe.

???:Just leave! I'd rather die alone than be gazed upon by you cowards.

He said before rushing towards certain defeat,charging towards the Seed Officers who looked lessed than enthused by his heroic banter. Those who had escaped with him turned tail and flew, using their blinding speed to exit the scene in a flash of lightning, not once looking back at the boy who would inevitably give his life for them.

Lieutenants: Your orders, Major

Major: Kill the boy and deserters. Capture the others.

As the boy rushed to certain defeat a clear and once in a lifetime opportunity to infiltrate the base revealed itself. Neither the twins nor their commanding officers could see you sneaking into the vault..a choice must be made. To either fight alongside the willful youth or seize the opportunity to sneak into the base. Your escape is guaranteed but to save the boy you'll need roll a d20 and obtain a number higher than ??

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

As the spirits began to gather and dance around him, Shabuto could feel them amassing around him and within him. As if welcoming him and encouraging him even, as this resonance continued Shabuto would feel a heavy orange of nostalgia, something about channeling these spirits reminded him of something. Something that felt so very close to him but so far away. He tried to push through whatever block was preventing him from remembering but as he did he felt the stinging pain of his living scar activate for the first time since he arrived here. He nearly forgot the horrid pain of the curse his patron left on him. Its absence nearly fooled him into believing he was truly free. Whatever was hidden behind this veil in his mind was done so by Grixas, something so important that even here leagues away from him his magic persisted in its opposition to Shabuto. The channeling was interrupted He grabbed his head in pain however he had no time to dwell on it as he sensed a massive menacing aura of the fiil air with an almost maddening sense of dread. It was solid firm powerful. Like contained fury that was just about to burst. They were a ways away from the man behemoth and his assistants.

They were strong...all of them.

Shabuto looked to Haylin as he quickly retreated behind a massive mushroom encouraging with his eyes for Haylin to do the same.
The silence was broken by an ark of red lightning shooting from the ground, blowing the cover of the hidden entrance high into the air, and Out poured SEED grunts, scrambling from safety as if being chased by the devil himself.
Then the crimson lightning came bursting from the ground exposing the hidden base of their enemies. Men and women came scurrying out of the hole like a lightning storm of red spewing from the earth. A lot of the others ran leaving one courageous fool to try and free the others with nothing more than his rage pushing him forward. If only for it to be snuffed out by SEED. As moving as his bravado might have been seen for Shabuto all he could see was a fool charging into death. A death thought that created the perfect opportunity to infiltrate the base unseen. Shabuto looked over to Haylin, was the young Venkage willing to let a kid die for the sake of gaining the upper hand?

You damn right he was

Shabuto's moral compass was constantly fluctuating as if fighting what his instincts told him versus his programming as a slave. His life was one filled with bloodshed having seen many a comrade and enemy lifeless carcass littering the battlefield. In many cases he had left folks behind, the weak had no place in war and he was not a noble defending of the frail. He was here for one reason and one reason only. To save his friends and by extension protect Haylin and his fowl. Shabuto was fully prepared to leave this kid behind in order to keep his promise. At least he was,

Until he say Haylins face, brimming with the desire to save the boy. Shabuto mind was in a flux. A tug of war of his will. Haylin was not a long time friend and there was nothing to solidify they would be so even after they escaped. However one thing Shabuto was…

A man of his word.

“Fuck”

He rolled his eyes

“I say we leave em, I didn’t come here to take down SEED. I doubt your gonna go for it so what do you wanna do cuz I don’t know if you can tell but their power is nothing to scoff at. The big guy looks like a boss.”

It was now or never depending on what Haylin chose to do Shabuto would follow suit. They only had mere seconds to act before the baddies decided their course for them. Shabuto feet were firmly planted ready to dash either towards the exist or jump into the fray.

Return to “Islands of Rudral”