Winds Of Freedom; Journey To The Heart Of The Storm

Evil has hidden themselves beyond a newely impenetrable hurricane hoarding adventure from those who seek it. Do you dare to dive into the eye of the storm?
Fate I
Drifter

Re: Winds Of Freedom; Journey To The Heart Of The Storm

Post by Fate I »

(Die Rolled to Show structural damage. When combined die rolls reach 30, the corridor will permanently collapse.)

The battle between the major and leviathan raged on, shaking the underground Prison like a toddler toying with his hamsters cage. Yet despite the sensation of being tossed around and knocked to the ground from the Major battle, there was no sounds of concern or panic within the prison. I'm fact it was suddenly very quiet. No soldiers moving around, no screaming innocent souls, just a deafing silence-briefly interrupted by the war being fought by the major.

Yet despite the danger, our adventures most persist and fortune has favored the observerver. A slightly chewed map detailing the location of both treasures and the prisoners had floated into their hands. The map had several markings on it, most of which looked drawn by hand. Poorly drawn diamond marked the location of artifacts of interest, which was poorly written in the notes 'sTil BForR LucH.' The treasure were much deeper within the prison and notable past all the prisoners cells. To the left of the adventures. Lie a solitary cell, completely separated from the rest of the prisoner cells and close by. With no way to tell where their friend was, the heros would have to decide rather to investigate the closer, lone cell first, or travel onward to the greater cells to the right.

Weighing their options against how much of a beating this corridor could take, as signs of damage was beginning to show within the foundation. Getting to the cell closest to them wouldn't take much time, but clearing the corridor would take a mighty spirit. (1 post)

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

"Cass, should be back by now, that action outside is way above our pay grade. Where's that map say your friends are?"

Haylin stuck close to the cavern walls to keep out of the way of any more soldiers, though it seemed they all made their way outside to face whatever death was coming from above. Inside, it was quiet and gross now and the ceiling started taking damage. Haylin was overjoyed to have just barely avoided the chaos unfolding above them, but he knew that whatever lie deeper in this cavern might be even more treacherous. He kept his wits about him and looked back to see if Cass had made it back yet.

Roll for Cass to catch up again...
1d20

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Post by Shabuto Venkage »

The battle outside raged on, shaking the cavern with a rumbling. Fortunately, the structure was still sturdy enough to hold- for the time being.
"Cass, should be back by now, that action outside is way above our pay grade. Where's that map say your friends are?"

Haylin stuck close to the cavern walls to keep out of the way of any more soldiers, though it seemed they all made their way outside to face whatever death was coming from above. Inside, it was quiet and gross now and the ceiling started taking damage. Haylin was overjoyed to have just barely avoided the chaos unfolding above them, but he knew that whatever lie deeper in this cavern might be even more treacherous. He kept his wits about him and looked back to see if Cass had made it back yet.
He looked at the map and saw the long cell. It was closer, but he could not tell who or what was locked away. With time not on their side and Haylin's increasing worry about his friend Shabuto, there was little time to move. They would press onto the room with the lone cell. With it being so close, it wouldn't take much time. As bad as Shabuto wanted to search for the artifacts, specifically the one he was here for at Beneva's behest, they could focus on grabbing the artifact once they recovered his friends.

"Looks like there a cell over this way; it's a single one in which the larger groups are deeper. Without knowing if they separated them, Let's make way for the closer one first"

He said as he rolled the map and handed it to Haylin. Shabuto, with his impeccable memory, had already stored in his memory. He moved, this time with far more pep in his step. Like a phantom wisp of wind, the young Venkage moved through the dungeon hurridly to the area where the long cell was hoping to find something or someone of merit.

"Mara, Zane, hold on. Were almost there"
"I had forgotten...What the tone of liberty sounded like"

"To think the path to freedom. Would be soaked in blood"

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

(Cass's bird found the entrance to the prison destroyed and is currently searching for another way in.)

As the two travelers pressed forward through the oppressive darkness of the underground prison, their hearts heavy with concern for both their captured friends and their own lives. The very foundation of the prison seemed to shake and groan as the Major continued his bout with the leviathan. Yet as they stepped closer to the lone cell they were met with a stark contrast. Amidst the damp corridors and stone walls, a single white beckoned then forward with an eerie allure. The smell of fresh flowers, clean water, seared hog and a nigh endless plethora of pleasing aroma's permeated the air

Following the map, their intuition and their nose they would find the source of such wonder within the confines of the lone cell they sought to investigate. The would find a woman bound in chains, her hands tied to the ceiling and her feet shackles to the floor. Her presence, as unexpected as it was captivating, was clad in the scant attire of torn robes, leaving nothing of her chest and lower half to mystery. Her body was twice as intoxicating as her pheromones, exuding an aura of undeniable allure. Her head rose to meet the eyes of the two men before her, one noticable older than the other.

Chained Woman: ...You eyes covet what you know you can't touch. Haven't enough of you died in your selfish and devilish quest to please YOURSELVES? Wait....you're not a seed operatives.
► Show Spoiler
The foul stench that had pervaded the prison's air, a putrid reminder of its grim purpose, was now completely overpowered by a far more intoxicating scent. Her perfume, mingled with the unmistakable essence of her...femininity, enveloped the travelers in its seductive embrace.

Chained Woman:I don't know who you are, but Ive been in this prison for years. If you're lost, I know the way. If you're searching for other prisoners I can disable the traps that bind the lost souls to their cells. I can help in many other ways, assuming force isn't your forte. My gifts...though dangerous when surprised are often described as 'to die for,' Just ask them. *She said with a tone fitting of a siren. Nodding her head at the corpse's on the floor that appeared drained of all their fluids, their bodies withered away like raisins;but, the distinct smile coated each of their faces.*

It was as if the very air had been transformed, infused with the tantalizing allure of the woman before them. Despite their urgency and the perilous nature of their quest, they found themselves momentarily entranced by her presence, drawn inexorably closer by her beauty and the promise of untold secrets.

Chained woman:release me. I beseech thee. You'll find that corpse has the key to my shackles, which also unlocks every door and cell in this facility. You just need to acquire the key, which....I know is inside my cell;BUT, don't break the cell doors. You'll alert the major if you do.

Beneath the veneer of allure lay a sense of unease, a nagging suspicion that all was not as it seemed. Her sultry demeanor and the enchanting aura that surrounded her belied the danger that lurked beneath the surface. With a voice as smooth as silk and as beguiling as it was deceptive, she spoke of promises and temptations, weaving a web of seduction that threatened to ensnare their very souls.

The doors to her cell were made of a thick and rare metal, one that boasted an incredible high resistance to Naten and greatly damped psionic energy. Yet, the witch didn't lie about the keys to her cell lie behind her door, nor did she lie about the alarm being connected to her door. Along the way one could see wires running along the walls headed to her cell door.

Chained Woman: Their should be a button to release my door, once you press the button you'll need to enter a five digit code....which sadly I only know 3 of the numbers. A seed operative comes to my cell daily and silently watches me, sometimes bathing me- He's a nice guy and carries around a hideous and old satchel. I hope he survived the ruckus I heard earlier as he's the only one with keys to the prisoner cells other than the Major. He said he wrote the password down, stating he forgets the code everytime he sees me;but, finding him would be difficult and judging by the cracks in this areas foundation...i wouldn't be alive when you returned.

She returned her head to the ground, knowing that no stranger on this planet would go through so much effort for a stranger. Whatever was happening above the surface was going to destroy the area in a matter of moments.

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

As they neared the chamber housing the singular cell, Shabuto smelled the aroma shift from a musty, murky cave to a sweet, almost alluring scent. As they continued, his steps slowed, weary of the sudden change. Slightly drowsy, he felt almost welcomed to be here, his judgment slightly being considered. Then, he laid eyes on the one he assumed the smell belonged to—as she was the only thing alive, surrounded by a slew of bodies.
It was as if the very air had been transformed, infused with the tantalizing allure of the woman before them. Despite their urgency and the perilous nature of their quest, they found themselves momentarily entranced by her presence, drawn inexorably closer by her beauty and the promise of untold secrets.

Chained woman:release me. I beseech thee. You'll find that corpse has the key to my shackles, which also unlocks every door and cell in this facility. You just need to acquire the key, which....I know is inside my cell;BUT, don't break the cell doors. You'll alert the major if you do.
Shabuto felt his urgency impacted, but seeing the drained corpses around her cell returned him to reality. His word did not fall on deaf ears, not entirely anyway. Her speech about the satchel enlightened him about the other things he found inside. So that's what those numbers sired about on the paper were. If Shabuto wasn't completely sure that this being would kill him and Haylin just like the others, he might've been inclined to help her. But as it stood now, he would not afford himself the slight chance that this...creature was benevolent.

This was Rudral; after all, everything wanted you dead. Guiltiness gets you killed. Shabuto didn't need a sharinggan to know that this creature was death incarnate and fully fed.

"Thanks for the tips, but..."

Shabuto said, steeling his resolve and not daring to get any closer. While he was grateful for the nuanced information she was so willing to give, she should know the land they stood on. Trust was a waiting currency, and unfriendly to her, Shabuto was broke.

"I am no ones hero. Haylin let's go. We know what to do now, and we shouldn't keep Cass and the others waiting"

The time to move was now. Rudral was full of traps, lies, deceit, and death, all of them intricately interwoven. He had taken a high enough chance even coming here and would not gamble with his life or that of his party. With impressive speed, Shabuto about faced and headed hastily to the area where the other cells were, knowing that Haylin would not be too far behind. His worry for Cass must've been growing by the moment; there was no time to waste.

"I'd rather take my chances with the Major than that fucking thing"

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Whatever form of succubus inhabited the cell in front of them only added to the list of reasons Haylin wanted to get off this island and fast. Ten years of some of the most dastardly people and events surrounding you would wear on anyone's spirit and Haylin wasn't feeling very generous.

"Yeah, no freakin' way, let's keep moving." Haylin said, following Shabuto out of the cell and back into the other block. He knew Cass was searching for a way in, but only hoped that the creature occupying the Major and SEED's forces didn't have a taste for poultry.

Roll for Cass
1d20

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

(Haylin's bird found another entrance to the prison, but it's far away from your current location. The bird, probably familiar with your scent, is now inside the prison looking for Haylin.)

The air is heavy with the weight of despair as the siren watched the two men do everything in their power to avoid touching her. The woman's once defiant spirit, now shackled by chains of betrayal, softly wept in solitude. Her eyes, once filled with relief and determination, now betray a sense of resignation as she watches the flickering candlelight, the only companion to her solitary confinement. With each passing moment, the echoes of her own voice, once filled with hope, now reverberate through the cold stone walls, mocking her trust in those who wielded her vulnerability against her.

Her gaze drifts to the ceiling of the cell where the rusted chains bind her wrists, a cruel reminder of the bonds that now hold her captive in body and soul. The memories of the strangers who had come seeking solace, their faces etched with false sympathy, replay in her mind like a twisted melody. She had dared to believe in salvation, had dared to trust in her disillusion of freedom. Yet now, as the reality of her betrayal sinks in, she is left to grapple with the bitter taste of their prejudice.

The weight of regret settles upon her shoulders like an invisible burden, crushing her beneath its unforgiving pressure. With each passing moment, the chains that bind her grow heavier, digging into her flesh with a cruel reminder of her naivety. And as the minutes stretch into hours, and the hours into days, she is left to confront the harsh truth that she had been nothing more than a pawn in their ambitions . With a heavy heart and tear-stained cheeks, she resigns herself to her fate, knowing that the scars of navie nature run deeper than any physical wound could ever reach.

In the silence of her prison cell, she finds solace in the knowledge that though they may have stripped her of her freedom, they can never extinguish the flame of resilience that burns within her. For even as she sits shackled and alone, she knows that her spirit remains unbroken, a testament to the indomitable strength of her soul in the face of adversity.

The support beams snapped under the weight of the Major final blow, the adventurers needed to flee immediately or risk being trapped in the same cell of the abandoned siren, leaving them to face her sorrow and regret alone. A pathway opened up and with swift action, they'd be able to clear the corridor without complications, leaving them with only one mission- to locate the other cells. Now equipped with the keys to release their friends and the map to locate them, the need not remain here any longer.

"....What did I do? Why would they leave me to die?"

The siren mulled over her thoughts in pitiful reflection,her eyes never strong enough to meet the two men directly.
Even as the stone pillars of the prison collapsed around her, her mind never wondered from its confusing.

"I helped...them. "

The prison cell was the first to be crushed by the collapsing debris and only the weight of mud and rock was enough to silence the pained whispers of the forgotten siren.

--

The adventurer escaped the collapsing tunnel way with little time to spare and take a moment to collect their thoughts and breath. The dying words of the chained woman leave the adventurer with a sense of guilt, wondering if they had made the right decision to leave the shackled creature to perish.

They don't have time to look over their decisions forever and are forced to keep pace, for the collapsing structure has alerted the attention of the seed grunt force. You make your way deeper into the prison, the map was clear about the location of the other cells and your friends weren't going to save themselves.

As you venture closer to the cells, you enter a room thats filled with weapons:swords, short knives, shields, and armor of all sizes. These items litter the walls and shelves, of the room and you can't help but notice the room is abnormally cold and the door, both in and out, and similar to door you'd find in a walk in freezer, keeping the frigid temperature insulated. The weapons aren't uniform in size, or craftsmanship at all and you've never seen grunts with these types of armaments.

You begin to wonder why the room is kept at such low temperatures when there isn't anything to preserve, no meat nor other perishable are located in the room. As you get closer to the weapons you become aware of the source of the chill air. The gear lining the walls of the room is freezing, so cold that touching it directly would be disastrous.

As you ponder about the armory your ears detect the sound of human voices, their angry and demanding fresh water, their plea is met with laughter. You can tell you're close to the prison cells but before you can rush to their aid you hear a noise so loud you feel it throughout your entire body. A beastly roar echoed through the air, reverberating with primal fury and menace. Its bellow was guttural and layered, roaring like a symphony of echoes, each tone blending seamlessly with the next to create a haunting melody of power. It wasn't the sound of the leviathan, nor was it a cry from the major. This was something else entirely.

You tip toe to the exit of the armory and gently opening the door, to see if hallways are clear. The previous laughter of the seed grunt has fallen to panic and the come rushing from the prison cells and towards the door you're hiding behind. Their so terrified they don't notice your eyes between the seal and will run directly into the door for sure. They want to escape something;but, you don't see anything behind them;but, the sound of the beast, roaring through the cave doesn't seem to be it. You can't unhear the cry of the beast, but you're certain it's not in this hallway.

Before the seed grunts gets to the door you hear the sound of familiar voices. One of your allies shouting and Cass coming around the corner wit eyes of fury for the fleeing seed grunts.

Seed Grunts: Is that fucking bird again!!!!

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

He continued on through the murky cave navigating it's twist and turn his sense of urgency being worn on his sleeves. A part of him for a moment felt like that siren might've actually meant...well.

"So sense in second guessing now.

The rumblings that was the cavern shook the cavern putting a bit more pep in Shabuto's step. Before coming here Shabuto swore to close off his heart not risking making himself a martyr of justice at the beck and call of whatever poor unfortunate soul the might be trapped in the SEED prison. His sole goal, the only reason he risked his life was the value of the promise he maid to his party. He wasn't a charity worker, nor did he consider himself altruistic by any means. It's just, as bad as he wanted to flee he wouldn't be alive if not for his friends. For some reason, even with the degree of selfishness he moved with, keeping his word...that to him was something worth dying for. His entire miserable life he's done nothing but the biding of other, pawns in the games and schemes of whoever tug his leash the hardest. For the first time, he was deciding to risk his life on his own terms.

He was a vagabond yearning for freedom, a bird craving to spread it's wings. What he chased...the fears he needed to face all awaited him back on the island. Where he has resolved to return back top his homeland. The Archipelagoes he hailed from, home of the Venkage Clos.

"Heh...guess his story hit me harder than I thought"

He had been mulling over what he might do ultimately should they make it back to the mainland. His freedom would be short-lived should he wander aimlessly giving his former lord time enough to capture him once again. Mara and Zane both outcast with nowhere to return to both might go to traveling the world as mercs still like they planned. Work in which Shabuto was disinterested in, if he managed to make it out of here, he didn't want go back being under anyone's thumb, in no kind of capacity. Listening to Haylin talk about how long he had been away from home , the family he once had. It made him want to try and reclaim what was taken from him.

"We're just about there- wait do you hear that?!"

Shabuto said as the came across the opening to the larger area. Over the edge of it he saw a gang of what he assumed were henchmen

Sqqqaawk!

"Is that....CASS?!"

They must've found another way in and had been causing mayhem no doubt trying to get back to Haylin. Peering over further Shabuto saw the cages over in. His friends!

"This is it!"

He said drawing his bow loading it with an arrow that he would enchanted them with the Ur a Silvan charm of lightning endowing the arrow with it's elemental properties. He aimed making sure his draw ring was in prime position increasing the strength of his pull. Into a group of enemies the part of the group closet to them Shabuto would fire the arrow which upon contact would release a sizzling field of electrifying force 3 meters wide. Immediately after firing it he took off towards the cages with full confidence Haylin would do his own thing now that he and his pal were reunited at last.

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Shabuto Venkage wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:32 pm

"So sense in second guessing now.
“None at all.”

Following behind Shabuto carving his way to his friends, Haylin was preoccupied with the location of one of his own. As the base crumbled on the head of the woman left bound in the chamber, Haylin felt a pinge of guilt rack his bones for a split second. The thought of the highland air gracing his nostrils again instantly pushed them out of his mind, focused on a greater objective. The events that brought he and Cass to this accursed isle took more than just a cursory acquaintance from him, and the economy of the island threatened to take more than that from everyone who resided here. Haylin focused squarely on relieving himself of this cursed burden of Rudral.

They found themselves in a cold armory, adorned with strange weaponry a few grades better than what he’d seen SEED grunts utilize most of the time. Their ornate style and placement deep within the stronghold led Haylin to believe these weapons were reserved for the most capable of their operatives, responsible for the more heinous missions they carry out. SEED’s subjugation of this island knew no measure too drastic, and these weapons, clad in a thin layer of frost might have some of the same characteristics.

Haylin looked around while Shabuto consulted the map. Swords, shields, diet cola, all manner of weaponry was represented and many he had not encountered before. SEED Seemed to have much time to research and develop their own special brand of violence. Haylin’s discerning eye caught the glisten of a particular large weapon, about as tall as him. It looked like a staff affixed to the wall, but around it were imprints like fossils in sandstone, a large pattern resembling a majestic leaf.

Why not mete out some poetic justice?

~~Spend Oasis Point~~

Haylin reached for the glistening weapon with a hand dripping in flame. The Gafren were adept in many survival techniques, the most simple of which is conjuring fire. No matter where they found themselves, their reverence for the flame kept their hearts light and spirits free. Even when lost in the wilderness, even the most humble abodes can be enhanced with a touch of flame. He intended to release the frosted weapon from its bindings by warming them, assuming the weapon could take the sustained heat. They looked the part, but only time would tell if they could sustain his fire.

1d20
Shabuto Venkage wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:32 pm

"We're just about there- wait do you hear that?!"

Shabuto said as the came across the opening to the larger area. Over the edge of it he saw a gang of what he assumed were henchmen

Sqqqaawk!

"Is that....CASS?!"

They must've found another way in and had been causing mayhem no doubt trying to get back to Haylin. Peering over further Shabuto saw the cages over in. His friends!

"This is it!"
“Awwwww yeah!”

Like a lantern in a midnight forest, Shabuto immediately turned up the heat and let loose an electrified arrow into the barely parted doors. Haylin was still trying to wrest the weapon from the wall, but if Cass was on the other side, the cavalry arrived. It seemed he was pressing the SEED grunts there in his quest to rejoin his Urizen. With an excited screech, Cass’s mouth produced a lick of flame that matched the fiery gaze in their eye, their body ignited as they dashed towards the grunts in front of the door keeping them from Haylin. He heard the classic battle cry and knew they were formidable by themselves, but a force to be reckoned with together.

“Hunting! Rushdown Rush!”

Haylin felt a surge of energy with Cass nearby again, letting it course through the weapon he intended to claim while casting a Gafren hand seal in Cass’s direction. Cass’s powerful talons were clad in fire as the 8 ft tall bird lurched forward with a powerful kick poised to blast open the doors left ajar. Cass had corralled the grunts into the corridor anyway, knowing that anyone in that getup was an enemy of theirs, having its own miserable memories of the Major and the past ten years on its mind. Even for the Urizen bird, the thought of being in familiar pastures incensed them to go the extra mile for the cause, running down any grunts left in the wya as he applied his explosively powerful kick to the door. With them stunned by Shabuto’s shocking arrow, they might as well have said their prayers.

Roll to break the doors open with Cass

1d20

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

(Post Calculation)

First Roll for Haylin to release frozen weapon

Second Roll for Cass to Break down the Armory Door

Return to “Islands of Rudral”