Rhugris’s Gamble: Horus Aftermath

Ancestral home to all Hellgates near and far.
Ovan Hellgate
Drifter

Rhugris’s Gamble: Horus Aftermath

Post by Ovan Hellgate »

“Man, those fights were harrowing. I don’t imagine how people can just elect to do that kind of thing all the time.”

He wasn’t a big fan of fighting, but his travels took him to places he needed to be able to protect himself well. Ivan practices his physical martial arts only about as much as he needed to retain the foundational skills, and anything beyond that took energy away from his real passion, charting the stars. Ovan’s particular set of skills happened to grab him a passing mark at the Crown Jewel, something he didn’t even expect of himself. His countrymen that fought alongside him and the last pair he saw face off with his own eyes especially dwarfed his own combat prowess, but his brain was his most valuable asset and he seemed to have been the only individual to actually gather the necessary keys and cross the threshold of his forefathers.

“So much for fighting for your rights, hehe.”

Ovan twirled the set of keys around his finger, enjoying their dulcet jingle as icing on the cake of his eventful day. It filled the chamber he was in like a song while he waited for his guest, the Horus Crown. It had been quite a long time since they last shared a conversation, at least a century, and Ovan wondered what the Crown had to say about his triumph. It wasn’t as flashy as his brothers’ and sisters’ but he completed each trail with as much tact as he could muster. Thassigur’s Maze came in as his favorite trial as it involved a way less heavy lifting and a lot more cunning Those spiders let up for nothing, so the Horus Anthem, Lens of Truth, worked like a charm keeping him out of harm’s way. Satisfied, he mused over the ten keys, jangling in his hand, and partook in the small refreshments they had waiting for them. The Crown was on their way, but Ovan didn’t know what to expect.
"You collapsed under the weight of idealism, nothing to be ashamed of. Happens to all of us, not just the best of us. " - Sorith, Horus Crown

Ovan's Attire
"Ovan's Theme"

Fate I
Drifter

Re: Rhugris’s Gamble: Horus Aftermath

Post by Fate I »

A hushed murmur fell over the room as the door swung open, revealing a man whose presence carried an enigmatic air. His eyes, an ethereal shade of snow white, seemed to hold the secrets of an ancient realm. Yet, they were ablaze with an unusual, simmering anger, an emotion that flickered like a tempest within his aura. Each step he took sent ripples through the atmosphere, resonating with an intensity that hinted at a power beyond mortal comprehension. It was as if the very fabric of reality responded to his presence, leaving everyone in awe and trepidation at the mystery he embodied

"Ovan..."

He said softly, hiding his anger that carried over from a meeting he'd just left. Ovan was a known face within the community, perhaps not by all, but certain by the Upper management of the observatory. His family, especially his mother, were supportive of the observatory mission.

"Ovan?! I'm sorry you had to feel that, I wasn't expecting you for another few hours."

He said, knocking on a seeming normal wall and revealing a secret entrance, to which he invited Ovan into. They stepped through what appeared to be a dimly lit stone cavern and traversed a minimum number of stairs along the way, ending
Their short journey at the control room for the observatory.

"It's probably not the first time you've heard this, but we..., myself and many other senior members of the crowns, don't favor the method of evaluation that is currently the Crown Jewel. I'd wager your father has shared a similar idea with you and it's one we share in earnest. Judging the youth solely on its capacity for violence doesn't reflect the whole of a healthy society. Not all, if not most, problems can't be solved with violence. Though your opponents were like titans to your own destructive abilities l, you still survived all the jewel had to throw at you and even formed an alliance with the enigmatic daughter of the vesta crown. You make a positive impression on strangers and survive against the odds- those are qualities you can't buy.

-Ovan and the Horus crown entered what appeared to be a control room for the observatory. Inside, a meticulously designed control room hummed with activity, adorned with cutting-edge technology and displays that showcased the universe's wonders and just outside the window were countless numbers of the telescopes of carrying sizes that were perched atop a mountain peak that bordered the Desert kingdom northern boundary.

The array of telescopes stood like sentinels, reaching towards the vast expanse of the cosmos. Its gleaming metallic dome, a marvel of modern engineering , housed a colossal telescope with a lens so massive that it seemed to drink in the starlight. The exterior shimmered with a sleek, metallic sheen.. The observatory's location, far from the city's light pollution, ensured a crystal-clear view of the night sky, unveiling a breathtaking tapestry of stars, planets, and celestial phenomena that sparked wonder and inspired the pursuit of the unknown.-

"Though you lack the "rank," to take over as crown today. I would like to make it clear that you are to be the next Horus crown, which I assume you desire."

Ovan Hellgate
Drifter

Post by Ovan Hellgate »

The Crown’s aura blew into the room before he even cut the corner, Ovan watched it spill in the doorway, soaking in through the walls before the door burst open and his full spectrum arrived. Ovan squinted a bit, he wasn’t expecting him to come in so hot, incensed by whatever the post ceremony festivities had in store for him.

“It’s fine, I’m used to everyone seething all over the place.”

He followed the Crown through the wall into the observatory’s sanctum while his monologue carried on. It was a wild setup, one that this desert and these ruffians definitely made him miss. He finally felt like he was back at home, a strange feeling to feel so othered in what is your ancestral birthplace. But it just highlighted the fact that he belonged here, in the observatory with the infinite expanding sea above him.

“You flatter me…”

He almost mumbled to the crown marveling at the vivid, roiling sight unfolding around him. It took him a few moments to get acclimated to the ocean of perception in front of him, but as things came into focus his excitement grew, his blood pumped and his chest heaved more deeply. He almost heard someone whisper his name in his ear while he regained his composure. He gripped the keys that opened the door to this splendrous room, excited what the future as Crown Horus would bring if this is part of the package.

But the Crown said what about his rank?

“Wait, what? What do you mean I don’t have the rank? I just won your stupid little fight and flight.”

It snapped him out of his fluster, holding 10 successfully acquired keys and his rarely displayed sense of pride.

“I didn’t even wanna be here, but nobody else was gonna show up and I still took the V. What was the point of this then?”

His shock brought out a stinging venom of resentment for just a moment, feeling this observatory slip through his fingers like sand in one’s palm. Ovan normally kept a very level head, a trait the Crown praised him for just a moment prior and one he ironically prided himself on when faced with most obstacles he encountered. He heard he was invited as the Horus crown to this event and traveled from the other side of Vescrutia just for the holiday. The Gulf of Trafalgar hosted him marvelously and the food was beyond delicious, he was already dreaming of the trip back.
"You collapsed under the weight of idealism, nothing to be ashamed of. Happens to all of us, not just the best of us. " - Sorith, Horus Crown

Ovan's Attire
"Ovan's Theme"

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Ovan Hellgate wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:40 pm
“Wait, what? What do you mean I don’t have the rank? I just won your stupid little fight and flight.”

It snapped him out of his fluster, holding 10 successfully acquired keys and his rarely displayed sense of pride.

“I didn’t even wanna be here, but nobody else was gonna show up and I still took the V. What was the point of this then?”

His shock brought out a stinging venom of resentment for just a moment, feeling this observatory slip through his fingers like sand in one’s palm. Ovan normally kept a very level head, a trait the Crown praised him for just a moment prior and one he ironically prided himself on when faced with most obstacles he encountered. He heard he was invited as the Horus crown to this event and traveled from the other side of Vescrutia just for the holiday. The Gulf of Trafalgar hosted him marvelously and the food was beyond delicious, he was already dreaming of the trip back.
The pale eyes of the Horus crown betrayed none of his inner feelings, giving him an almost blank and emotionless gleam. He listened to Ovan's frustrations and only after he finished did he offer him a subtle gesture of kindness by tapping his shoulder and smiling gently.

"Its not fair for me to complain about your attitude, the first thing you felt from me was my own frustration. In that way, we are even...however, that is the only place where we stand on equal footing."

He stepped away from the boy and walked over to a wall near one of the Observatory windows and watch gingerly as young Horus children, accompanied by their teacher, toured the facility.

"I said earlier that measuring a man solely by his destructive capabilities isn't good for a healthy and stable society; but, dont let that confuse you. There are times where only power can make things 'right,' and keep the balance of Order from slipping back into Chao's Grasp."

With an assuring smile his eyes left the window and burrowed deep into Ovan's own. Accompanied with his gaze was a distinct, unmistakable and tangible pressure that filled the room. It squeezed tightly on everything made of organic matter within the room, a threat that Ovan would feel noticeable discomfort from, but would be in little danger of. Yet, the much smaller and nigh helpless desert humming bird in the corner would begin showing extreme signs of distress from.

"Crowns represent the shield, the sword, the pen and the heart of this land and together those 9 crowns represent the whole of our legacy. Hellgates, people who bear the weight of responsibility in this lawless land and with frightening power ensures that the pernicious demons of this abyss remain in hiding or face the culling of their ranks."

The pressure the crown released in the room was building, growing in intensity with each word he uttered from his lips. The birds cry became more desperate. Flapping its wings in frustration while flying into the cage, frantically trying to break free of its shackles. Without intervention it would surely fall prey to crown oppressive will.

"It will take a sharp mind to survive when the odds are against you, but it will take more than cunning to overturn the will of evil, Ovan. Do you understand what i'm sayin"

*Roll 1 d20 to repel The Crowns will. You'll need a die higher than "6" to succeed*

Ovan Hellgate
Drifter

Post by Ovan Hellgate »

The room filled with the Horus Crown's aura and Ovan took a deep breath to gather the last of the easy air for himself. He felt the energy swell and witnessed it crush the little bird in the corner, poor thing stood no chance under the weight of the Crowns aura he casually let spill all over the place in the wake of his own agitation. The whole Crown Jewel Ceremony reeked of the same self important philosophy the Horus Crown let fill the air and crush the innocent under the weight of his own, rather, the Hellgate ideals. Ovan scoffed and moved through the thickening air to the cage.

"You sound like a broken record, forgetting yourself that what is pedestrian for the spider is chaos for the fly."

Ovan opened the cage with a enough focus to grant an insulating force to the small creature, calming it and protecting it from the force of the old man's lesson. He watched it for a moment, letting it calm down and rest within his palms before removing it and turning back to the Horus Crown. He had a slight headache, his body felt far more fatigued than it did "fighting" his brethren in the actual Ceremony, but if he didn't kick the bucket then, he wagered he wouldn't kick it just in conversation before he was supposed to assume his new designation, so he weathered the pressure of his predecessor with no guard, holding eye contact with the blind mage.

"I've traveled all over the world and seen beyond chaos and order. The verses are indifferent to our struggles."

Ovan's body faltered ,he felt a little shaky in shielding the small creature from the force of the Horus Crown, but he weathered these old fashioned ways of teaching for the moment, determined to usher in a new era for the Hellgates. Traveling the wilds of Vescrutia alone, he met so many people, experienced so many things, and often had the opportunity to learn from shamans and elders with insight greater than that of his family's Anthem. Oftentimes, he found himself hunted as prey in the untamed wild by creatures who knew nothing but their will to live; were they evil? His own cunning served him well and his experiences kept him safe, even in the face of uncertainty and sudden chaos. Clearly, as his invitation to the trials of his forefathers proved, his power lied in his insight and worldliness, his ability to navigate the uncharted and unknown to bring together people and ideals from all over Vescrutia and synthesize new paradigms through which they understand the world.

Good, evil, chaos, order, all were pedestrian in the cosmic dance Vescrutia flitted across the cosmos. Even now, this 'lesson' for which he sat inflicted abject terror on the innocent to prove a point. Is this the order he was expected to uphold?

"What I understand is that the 9 Crowns need some fresh blood and a new perspective."

Ovan's eyes flickered with a glossy glow similar to that of the Horus Crown, activating the Lens of Truth, his birthright, the Anthem upon which his right to the Crown was predicated and he stood tall, facing the uncertain future with as much strength he could muster.

"A new 'order', if you will."

1d20

Ovan's Attire
"Ovan's Theme"

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Ovan Hellgate wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm
"You sound like a broken record, forgetting yourself that what is pedestrian for the spider is chaos for the fly."
The crown, still resting his back against the cold wall of the Observatory control room, cut a sly smile as he heard Ovan's carefully selected words. He could feel deep within his own heart that the young boy was about to do something amazing, revealing to the crown, the bird and maybe even the entire desert what he was made of. What latent power lie dormant within him. The crippling pressure that he had forced both Ovan and the bird to endure was cruel and he knew that. Yet, he wanted to give him a little edge, something he couldn't ignore- the blight of the helpless.

This same lesson was one he had inflicted on many of Crown candidates before and all who stood where Ovan is now, simply left or crawled to the door with pools of tears filling their eyes, Ignoring little Darwin's suffering and taking the easier path. He had begun to wonder if Horus youth would ever have the will of fight, worried that their obsession with the unseen had given way to a deep sense of escapism.
Ovan Hellgate wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm
"What I understand is that the 9 Crowns need some fresh blood and a new perspective."
Ovan's eyes flickered with a glossy glow similar to that of the Horus Crown, activating the Lens of Truth, his birthright, the Anthem upon which his right to the Crown was predicated and he stood tall, facing the uncertain future with as much strength he could muster.
"A new 'order', if you will."
The crown's smile slowly faded into his signature blank expression, a look of empty intention and will, one he shared with the Vesta crown -Zeik Hellgate. Ovan's words didn't annoy nor anger him, but he would be lying if he said he was impressed. They were the words of gilded youth and a mark of naivety. It was often held within the minds of the young that the ways of old were barbaric and lacked creditable purpose and perhaps they were right; but, by the time life had finished trimming the fat of their idealism they were often left hollow or made in perfect image of the very regime they sought to overturn.

"Wide eye idealism would be a formidable threat to evil and the compassionless nature that this world is drowning in, if even once in a lifetime it were accompanied by power and the will to make the tough decision."

His words were accompanied by a soft breeze that caught the collapsing boy, preventing him from banging his head against the cold and hard flooring of the Observatory. His oppressive will came to a halt and the small bird, darwin, gently tugged at the boy’s pale hair.

Darwin:You were too harsh on the boy, Sorith. You could have stopped after he freed me.

Sorith Horus Crown:You may be right….but it's not supposed to be easy. That's why there are only a handful of great men in this world. When he awakes he’ll have a grudge against me and if the will within burns as bright as Xelphis, then he’ll be sure to get his ‘Lick’ back. It'll take determination and anger to overturn the Axis of Evil and curb the quixotism that has gripped the Horus youth.

Ovan Hellgate
Drifter

Post by Ovan Hellgate »

Ovan unfortunately succumbed to the weight of the Horus Crown, falling to his knees and passing out on the observatory floor. The last thing he remembered was activating his Anthem and his sight being drowned out by the wall of Naten. He thought his monologue and his determination would be enough after surviving the Crown Jewel Ceremony, but there was a reason he chose not to engage his brethren. Ovan, as skilled as he was at what he was good at, didn't have the output to keep up with the raw power other Hellgates prided themselves on. He found his path in cunning and intellect, connecting the dots to find his way through the world without having to rely on brute strength. He enjoyed what some called the finer things in life, good food, good people, and a good time with good friends. He journeyed all over each continent making friends in high and low places with his charisma and pragmatism, most conflicts he encountered were solved with pragmatism unless he was in the wilderness traveling alone.

The coming trials as the Successor Crown proved to call more of him than he was able to meet with his current abilities.

~~~

It took some time to recover, but Ovan began to rustle himself awake with a pounding headache. Lens of Truth was still active in some way and his eyes painfully adjusted to being awake and drownedin abject representations of energies he had no focus for. He groaned in pain, his whole body throbbing as he tried to pull himself to his feet.

"Uuuugh... Wha... Happened?"

His eyes still adjusted to the surroundings coming into focus as his Anthem deactivated, the observatory slowly melting back into view. The Crown probably laughed at his monologue, but Ovan still meant every word of it. No matter what happened after The Ceremony, Ovan was the only one to retrieve all 10 keys and survive every challenge, so his succession would still follow, but he needed something more to become the Crown he intended to.

This was his starting line.

Maybe I should get more serious about TInjutsu...

Ovan's Attire
"Ovan's Theme"

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Ovan Hellgate wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:45 pm

"Uuuugh... Wha... Happened?"

"You collapsed under the weight of idealism, nothing to be ashamed of. Happens to all of us, not just the best of us. "

The tiny desert hummingbird looked at The Horus crown with a tinge of disgust before flying over to his shoulder. Sorthie expressions were as stoic and emotionless as ever, but what he lack in physical presentation he made up for with tangible emotions. Often times his thoughts and feelings were clearer to read in silence then with word and the events that transpired just before Ovan collapsed, should be replaying in his head as a feeling . As sorth couldn't hide his guilt from as astute perceiver of the unseen.

"We were discussing your need for greater prowess, as Crowns are the community last line of defense. Should you still be interested in the crown, I have a not so simple quest for you."

Ovan Hellgate
Drifter

Post by Ovan Hellgate »

"Well, I'm not in business of just giving up."

One of the simplest ideas to understand was that of ownership, something Ovan experienced varying levels of throughout his travels. Crafting the lenses for his circuit of observatories and planetariums gave him a powerful sense of satisfaction, bringing the dynamic limits of his Anthem's vision to the rest of the world warmed his heart, so he could come to part with those works of art. This destiny he intended to claim for himself.

The kind of training he knew stood before him chilled his bones. But that only meant the path before him intended to make a king of him yet, folding the weakness out of him in a crucible forging his future into the blade to carve out his destiny. He shuddered at the thought, regretting his scoff at the end of the final challenge.

Sure he was crafty and survived a tiny supernova, but he also couldn't have done much to stop his brethren of they pressed him for violence. Sorith's mere presence brought him to his knees after the event. He loved his craft but he couldn't just ignore this call to heed.

"Of course I'm interested. I wouldn't have heeded your invitation if I didn't think I could conquer the trials. Ill be ready to begin the work tomorrow."

Ovan was still recovering from his headache, light and sound still a bit sensitive for him but he could still see ripples in the air around him. He felt a day gave him enough time to recalibrate himself after two near death experiences. The Horus Anthem brought them close enough to doom for Ovan's wide eyed sensibilities. His very remote work with Diamond Dust utilized his pragmatic nature far more than his destructive capabilities. He held a deep appreciation for the Horus traditions, yet couldn't help but turn his eyes to the sky if given the choice. The weight of the crown readjusted his scope, bringing his shortcomings to his full attention.

Ovan had a lot of homework coming up, one night to rest and recover couldn't hurt.

Ovan's Attire
"Ovan's Theme"

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Sorith:"You can get started when ever you like. My request wont require your swift return, just you return alive and with a few items in tow."

-He lifted his back from the wall he'd been resting on and made his way over to a table. He reached beneath the table and grabbed a case made of emerald. Sorith brought the case over to a clear table within the room.

"I would like you to complete three task for me. The first is to bring me 1 Leviathan Shard, you may only find and acquire these by Locating a leviathan in the Alps of chaos and destroying it under specific lunar presence. Twice in a month, two of Vescrtia's closest moons are full at the same time as a few other smaller and slightly further moons. During these hours, these moon are also much closer to the planet than any other time within a month. This lunar activity has a great effect on Leviathan. Increasing their appearance rate, making them predictable and trackable due to the loud sound burst that happens when they materialize."

Sorith opened the emerald case after unlocking the seal he'd placed on it. A slight chime could be heard from the moment the case unlocked and as he opened the lid, a bright blue hue filled the crowns face with a bright blue hue.

"They're usually incredibly difficult to find in the safer, more habitable, areas of the alps , even though we estimated there could be twenty of more thousand of them living within the massive , iced topped ranges that border the Land of Chaos.

He twisted the case towards Ovan, revealing to him its contents.

"under these atmospheric conditions leviathan compress down to shards when they're destroyed, like this one here. I should warn you, Ovan. Leviathan are dangerous at any time of the month, but even more so during intense lunar activity. It has a profound effect on their fight style, combat efficiency and the amount of stress they can endure.

Return to “Acrix Solara”