The Realm of Helidor [End]

These are areas outside of the realms of the Alliance. Venture out into Vescrutia's open world and explore. Go anywhere and show us a side of Vescrutia that might not have been discovered yet.
Fate I
Drifter

The Realm of Helidor [End]

Post by Fate I »

In the mythical realm of Heliodor, the delicate dance between day and night holds a city besieged by constant invasions of monstrous creatures. However, the formidable guild known as the Gilded Fangs have emerged as Helidors staunch defenders against the relentless monster incursions. For centuries, these elite warriors,hunters, sorcerers and soldiers have safeguarded the kingdom, following in the footsteps of their legendary leader, Erigor Pharlonious. The guild's headquarters, The Den of the Golden Lion, serves as both a parapet against the creatures of the night and a symbol of hope for the beleaguered kingdom.

-Helidor's survival hinges on the guild's unwavering commitment to protecting the realm from the monstrous threat. Within the Den's towering walls, Erigor commands a legion of hunters and warriors, some of them descendants of the illustrious hero Valor Shadowbane, one of the first hunters who fought alongside Erigor during the Great Incursion. Since then, The Den not only stood as a testament to Helidor's strength but also functions as a nexus for vital services. Advanced healing facilities, provisions for the populace, aid to weary travelers, and a training ground for aspiring monster hunters converge within the Den, crafting Helidor into an epicenter of courage, fortitude, and the eternal battle against the encroaching darkness.

Beyond the city's limits, Helidor unfolds into a realm of enchanting wonders and formidable challenges. Verdant forests, alive with mystical flora and fauna, conceal ancient secrets within their emerald canopies. Meandering rivers, their waters imbued with magical energies, flow through the heart of the Helidor, reflecting the ever-shifting balance between day and night.

Mysterious swamps, cloaked in mist, harbor elusive creatures and concealed pathways. The air is thick with an otherworldly ambiance, and the glow of bioluminescent flora provides an eerie yet captivating illumination in the darkness. Hunters were trained early on how to navigate these treacherous swamps so they could remain ever vigilant of the lurking dangers that emerge with the setting sun.

Towerous mountains, their peaks piercing the sky, guard Helidor borders. These majestic heights are not only a testament to the kingdom's natural grandeur but also serve as vantage points for the guild to survey and anticipate monster movements. The mountainous terrain presents its own challenges, requiring a unique set of skills from the guild members who scale its slopes in pursuit of their monstrous adversaries.

Within this fantastical landscape, The Den of Golden Lions rises as a formidable structure, seamlessly blending with the surroundings. The massive fortress was built into the scaling mountains of Helidor, brandishing banners and trophies awarded to the prestigious guild throughout their years of servitude to the realm. Its architecture incorporates elements of both mystical aesthetics and practical defense, creating a sanctuary for the guild and a symbol of resilience against the relentless monster invasions. Helidor's environment, a tapestry of beauty and danger, sets the stage for the ongoing epic struggle between the monster hunters and the creatures that lurk in the shadows.

Outside the building stood monuments of forlorn hunters and sorcerers who dedicated their lives to the Fangs; golden statues immortalized these revered forerunners, marytrs and.. but the most decorative ornament had been the severed head of a enormous monster who threatened the realm of Helidor hundreds of years ago. The draconian beast, was now merely a skeletal trinket.. and a powerful message to fiends and monsters who sought to tread on their lands.

---

Aisha, Artier, and Cyrus were all teleported to the gates of The Den from the Forest of Resonance. Their mission to locate and terminate the Oni Leveled Monster known as the "Novik", resulted in premature departure on account of an unforeseeable obstacle. As the three hunters established a perimeter within the monsters known feeding grounds, they across a young woman had been found thoroughly assaulted via powerful magics and barely clinging on to life. She was alone and would have otherwise died due to the severity of her injuries if Artier hadn't intervened. Aisha, the highest ranking member of the troupe, determined the wounded woman to be a liability in the continued search for the target and decided to return to the Den where they could find her the proper medical attention.

"This is bullshit.."

Cyrus was incredibly upset by the matter.

"You've wasted my time, A'isha.. I was promised a memorable battle.. and now my fists grow restless.. Let it be known that any further deaths perpetrated by this shadow demon only transpire on your accord."

He said stepping toward the Den in a fury. Aisha was carrying Okoye on her back, and she was nonplussed with Cyrus' agitation. She was more concerned with the woman on her back .

"..."

"Do not listen to him Aisha.. That young woman on your back is proof you've done nothing short of what we've always done. Save a life..I assure you Erigor will praise this decision, as I do.. and as I'm sure she will as well."

Artier said, gesturing to Okoye sleeping silently on her back. Aisha responded with a modest nod, but she couldn't pull her mind away from her more divisive thoughts. She knew that despite his anger, Cyrus' words held more truth than bile. Aisha knew for certain the Novik would soon strike again, and she couldn't be certain how many had already suffered its wrath. She promised to the hunt fiend down following what happened to her friends, along with any other murderous abomination she encountered along the way. Okoye was the only concrete soul she'd been able save from it's grasp.. she would have to concentrate on that.

"Take her to Medical Bay, Artier. You and Clara will see to her survival.. I will speak with Erigor."

Aisha said handing Okoye into Artier's possession before they both walked toward the entrance.

Okoye
Drifter

Re: The Realm of Helidor

Post by Okoye »

The medical wing of the guild looked more like a fantastical sanctuary. Its architecture blended seamlessly with nature, adorned with luminescent vines and iridescent crystals along the floors and walls of the area. Wisps of ethereal mist envelop the entrance, leading to ornate wooden doors that seem to open on their own accord whenever a physician or patient sought passage. Inside, soft, otherworldly music resonates throughout these corridors adorned with tapestries depicting healing rituals as well as the prestigious physicians who developed them throughout the guild's lengthy history. Along with a bustling battalion of doctors, mages, and frantically rushing about trying to consult all of their patients. The sounds of their benevolent stampedes, stomping up and down the medical wing helped peel Okoye's eyes open.

She awoke in an unfamiliar bed, within an unfamiliar room, bathed in a serene and otherworldly glow. This soft light revealed tapestries and healing runes adorning the walls and ceiling, along with a host of other patients resting in similar beds surrounding hers.

”Ugh.. my head.”

She thought to herself as she sat up from the weighted blankets. The first thing she noticed was that someone replaced her originally tattered garments with new pair of clean clothes , folded at the foot of her bed right next to the scroll she'd been hauling on her back.

What the.. hell?

She said to herself while collecting her thoughts. Just then, she remembered her battle and escape from the B'halian Soldiers who attacked her within the Forest of Resonance. Memories of the searing pain she with her encounter with the deadly ice fae flooded her mind with vivid detail. Immediately she leapt out of her bed and onto her feet in a graceful display of frightened athleticism. She feared maybe she'd been captured.. The phantom pain of the FrostJack's frigid, serrated blade freezing her organs from the inside out still haunted her.. But upon landing, she discovered her chest, arm and waist had been swaddled in a unique fabric that reminded her more of medical gauze than shackles. It was gold in color and gave off a warm glow she could feel rejuvenating her body. No different than an IV, she thought.. A further analysis revealed she was also wearing a medical gown.

”..a hospital?”

Okoye was certainly confused, but far less apprehensive at this point. Her sensitive nose could tell that the air was also charged with subtle magics that were intended to soothe the mind. Her eyes silently traced every corner of the room and saw dozens of beds lined on opposite sides of the room, each individually contained with an opaque barrier to honor confidentiality no doubt. Robed figures were moving frantically about, attending to patients within the separated bubbles. One of which was approaching her.

“..Already on your feet?

Said the woman who didn't bother to look up from her clipboard as she approached Okoye's position. She wore a white laboratory coat exclusive to the practicing physicians of guild, along with a stethoscope hanging around her neck, and a pocket full of medical equipment budging from her left pocket. Her hair was the color of snow, only brighter. And her gaze was brighter than both of Vescrutia's Suns at sunrise.

“...”

Okoye had never seen her before, yet she felt an eerie familiarity with her..

“Remarkable.. considering your condition when they brought you in here, that is. I was hoping I'd get the chance to learn more about you before you ran off. You're the first patient I've seen in days that hasn't been infected with Sardonyx radiation.”

Said the woman, who shared a smile and glance with Okoye before her eyes immediately returned to the annotated clipboard.

“Don't be nervous.. that's a good thing. My name is Clara and I'm one of the acting physicians here. You don't have to tell me your name, or what happened to you for that matter.. I already know all of that. Your body seems to be responding well to my anthems “Jumpstart” ability. Which alone wouldn't surprise me much.. but.. I don't think I've ever met someone like you before.”

“...”

“For starters.. Though I've never operated on one before, I'm quite sure Mazoku Physiology isn't typically confused with that of a human woman. Yet here I stand, speaking with what is quite clearly the latter of two, while reading off the biorhythms of an adolescent Mazoku female..”

Clara said, while gesturing to her clipboard, causing Okoye's eyes to narrow in response. The doctor's coy smile left her a bit uneasy, but not enough for Okoye to feel threatened. She clearly took a blood test or something to identify her.. Still, there weren't too many databases with Mazoku DNA on record.

"Aren't you supposed to be seven feet tall, hairy and invincible?”

"Where am I?"

Okoye signed with her only hand, assuming Clara's extensive volume of knowledge as a physician would include affluence in Vescrutian Sign Language (VSL).

She was correct.

"Sign language? Oh, of course! That's right! You can't speak directly can you? Well, unless you decide to destroy the entire building or something to that nature.. Truly fascinating.”

Clara said, diligently jotting down her findings on her clipboard before she responded.

“Okay, well.. You are in the Kingdom of Helidor; a territory located upon the continent of Muu. This building is known as the Den of The Golden Lions, and it is headquarters to the protectors of the realm; The Gilded Fangs Guild.”

”Guild?

Okoye signed for clarity, to which Clara visibly struggled to understand. But only for a moment.

“Yes.. a coalition of hunters and warriors dedicated to defending the people of Helidor from the deadly monsters who stalk the land upon nightfall. You were brought here by a group of our more experienced members during one of their assignments within the Forest of Resonance; a dangerous environment located upon the Astral. They figured you were good as dead.. I'm sure they'll be happy to see they were wrong.”

“...”

Okoye fell into a contemplative silence.. But soon she began to gather her things from the edge of the bed.

“..okay? Well I can see you aren't the appreciative type, huh? Not even gonna stick around to thank the folks who saved your life? Let alone me, for that matter..”

Clara said, feigning an attitude with her hand on her hip. Okoye did not not respond. She was happy to see someone took the liberty of giving her a brand new pair of clothes.. she felt a little bad she couldn't say thank you.

"..look, just get back in bed alright? Human or not your body is still recovering. And while I don't know exactly what is you're running from, whoever they are cannot find you here.”

”You are wrong. They will find me. No matter where I choose to hide, they will find me. You can be certain of that much.”

She signed after gingerly dressing herself in her new threads, doing her best not to irritate her injuries. Clara just shook her head in protest. How the hell did a fugitive to a notorious military empire find their way to Helidor?!

"Well hell, then maybe its time you stopped running. Have you ever thought of that? Geez, you hunters are so stubborn! And you're all the same.. Too proud to ask for help. You won't get far in your condition anyway. I'd really hate for all the work I've done to save your life to be a waste of effort.."

"My staying will result in your death.. and the death of everyone you've ever helped here."

"Tuh! I wouldn't be so sure! There's a reason this place has stood strong for three hundred years! The Gilded Fangs are no pushovers! Empire or not, we are the protectors of the realm."

Clara boasted proudly. She didn't anticipate to feel so emotionally charged by Okoye's dismissive attitude as it pertained to the Guild's capability to defend themselves. It was insulting to hear, but Okoye clearly wasn't from around here. She was ignorant to the legends this Kingdom was built upon. The work Erigor put into establishing one of the most powerful organizations known to mankind. Clara wouldn't let herself be rattled by the words of a stranger.

”..so I'll say it again. If you don't want to leave, you're more than welcome to stay.”

"..."

Clara's kindness, though a tad abrasive, forced a genuine smile to form along Okoye's face. The woman possessed a peculiar caliber of bedside manner, but it succeeded at making her patient feel better.. even if it was just a little bit.

"You don't understand.. I can't afford to just sit around, I have to get stronger."

”Well then help me understand! You have to recover first before you get stronger, right!? And who's to say you can't get stronger while you're here?"

Clara proposed, suddenly drawn to the large scroll that sat on Okoye's bed. It was thick and wound around an iron dowell emblazoned with the face of a demon.

”When our guild members found you, this scroll was found fastened to your back with twigs and blood stained fabric. Creative. You are a product of the Voudani Tribe, yes? Or at least that is the origin of this scroll.”

She said confidently as she analyzed the exterior symbols along the scroll before looking to Okoye, who looked a bit perturbed that Clara was privy to such sensitive information.

“...”

She wasn't sure whether or not to feign ignorance of the clandestine tribe. Ellios neglected to mention any known adversaries to the Voudani clan.. or allies for that matter. Clara seemed as knowledgeable, if not more so, about the culture Okoye was charged with immortalizing than she did.

”Oh, don't worry I didn't open it.. but I did recognize the sigil drawn on the outside of the parchment. There are several more volumes recorded within the Guild's Athenaeum that expand upon the clandestine sect of demon hunters, courtesy of one of their members who aided Erigor Pharlonious and the Golden Fangs in their efforts to defend Helidor during the Great Incursion..”

The Great Incursion; An event where a powerful wizard concocted a spell that forced the evolution of all known monsters, fiends, ghouls and demons within a thousand miles. This event tossed Helidor and several other Madeiran countries into chaos. Hundreds of thousands of bloodthirsty beasts flooded the lands, but they were held at bay by Erigor and The Golden Fangs.

”That was centuries ago.. and though I'm not old enough to have met any of them in person, I've read a bit about them when I was a student. Apparently, their talent in Taijutsu and Fuinjutsu made it hard to believe they were only human. ”

“..I met a man named Ellios. He entrusted me with this, along with the legacy of the Voudani Tribe. He was killed before he could relay the details behind “Demon Hunting.”

Okoye signed, unable to hide her downtrodden look of disappointment. Ellios was her tutor and perhaps the closest thing she had to family, and the memory of the barbaric assault that took his life was still fresh in her memory. Reflecting on it, she remembered being more afraid for her own life than willing to fight. But the Frostjack outmatched her in every aspect. She did all she could.. Ellios begged her to run and she did.. Still, it didn't keep her chest from feeling like it was going to explode whenever she thought about it. Clara noticed her conflict and calmly placed her hand along Okoye's shoulder.

”..well, maybe we can help you after all.” She said with a comforting smile.“That is, if you're willing to stay for a bit. The Guild's Athenaeum possesses an encyclopedia of information I'm sure you’d find useful. I can't train you, but I can give you a personal pass to check out as many books as you'd like. However, you cannot leave the premises until you are finished. You must allow your body to rest. Do we have a deal?”

Clara said, extending her hand to shake Okoye' and cement their agreement. Okoye hesitated, but quickly weighed the benefits of staying. She looked around. The place was literally built like a fortress. Even if those B'halian Soldiers hunted her down, she trusted these people wouldn't be defeated so easily. She didn't know why, but she wanted to trust Clara. She claimed to be a friend of Ellios, that alone gave her points. But Okoye was also anxious to get her hands on whatever information she could gain upon attaining power. She shook Clara's hand and returned her soft smile with a nod.

"Good. Get some rest then. I'll have someone bring you as many scrolls concerning the Voudani Tribe as we have in our possession. Whenever you regain your strength, be sure to introduce yourself to Erigor."

--End--

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

--[A Week Later]--

The Arcane Athenaeum was an extraordinary repository of mystical knowledge gathered over several generations and concealed within the heart of the Golden Lion's Den. Upon entering, the air crackles with arcane energy and magical symbols drawn unto the ground hum to life.

Only those branded with the sigil of the Gilded Fang were granted access to this invaluable resource. The towering shelves, intricately carved with ancient runes, harbor grimoires and tomes that pulsate with raw magical power. Floating crystals suspended in mid-air illuminate the library with a kaleidoscope of colors, reflecting the diverse disciplines of magic contained within the Guild's extensive collection. Winding through the sanctum are corridors dedicated to the schools of magic– eldritch halls adorned with bewitched artifacts, atriums filled with crystals that cause illusions come to life, and elemental chambers resonating with the primal forces of fire, water, earth, and air. The scents of exotic herbs and the crackling of gentle flames accompany readers as they explore tales and scrolls infused with elemental power.

The Central study area features an immense, sentient obelisk carved with ancient runes that pulsate in response to the spells being cast. Studious hunters and sorcerers of the guild frequently gather here, their spellbooks floating beside them as they delve into the secrets of the arcane.

This living font of magical wisdom was a nexus where sorcerers and wizards of the guild unlock the deepest mysteries of the mystical arts. And the Biblisoph, a figure draped in robes adorned with cosmic patterns, presides over this mystical library. They move throughout the alcoves of the Athenaeum like a phantom, ensuring the integrity and preservation of the powerful grimoires and antiquities collected by the Guild via powerful wards and enchantments that shield the library from unauthorized access. The exact identity of the Biblisoph was largely unknown to everyone save for Erigior, but even he was seldom seen ever conversing with the wraith-like entity.

After meeting Clara, Okoye was given a free pass to explore the boundless wonders of the Athenaeum, so long as she promised to stay long enough for her wounds to properly heal. And after three days of mandated bedrest, she didn't hesitate to exploit her new found permissions.

She spent another few days inside the enormous library, nestled at one of many tables located in the central study area behind a tower of books and scrolls that she'd either already read or planned to. During her stay, she often encountered the Biblisoph and found the sentient sentinel to be far more benevolent than its appearance conveyed. With simply a thought, the cerebral phantom guided Okoye toward scrolls she would have otherwise never located within this maze of ledgers and parchment. The Voudani Tribe and their esoteric protocols were recorded in memoriam to one of the only practitioners known to Helidor; A sorcerer who'd gone by the name of Euriel, a man who gave his life fighting alongside the Commander of Gilded Fangs. Okoye familiarized herself with his legacy, his triumphs and his failures. And as valiant as his sacrifice was, she was far more interested in the nuances of his techniques. To her fortune, Euriel was more than a powerful sorcerer of the Voudani Tribe, but he was a passionate academic. And before his passing, the man was adamant about immortalizing his teachings so that his culture would not die with him. He spent most of his free time reading and writing about their techniques, as well as documenting as much as he could about the creatures he'd been dutibound to destroy.

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

Euriel's documents were coded in the Voudani language; a thirty two character alphabet that looked more like calligraphy than anything else. This took about a day and a half for Okoye to decipher, but the scroll Ellios gifted her before his death gave her a key. It took nearly an entire day to do, but she discerned that Euriel volume of secrers were written in the form of journal entries. Nearly eighteen in total:

Voudani Report I
(( Please accept my deepest gratitude! If you are reading this, it is my assumption that you are a fellow academic eager to expand your knowledge on the Voudani Tribe and our reclusive, yet powerful customs. And for that, I applaud your efforts and hope you never succeed in your thirst for knowledge!.

However, it is far more likely that you are reading this because you have been chosen by the Elders, no different than I, to become a master of H'ruki. It is a heavy mantle our Elders placed upon your shoulders naming you Successor, but you have nonetheless persevered and have undoubtedly earned such accolades. If you are reading these excerpts, then you know my name and who I am. Much time has passed since I left the home of my youth behind, and in the myriad worlds I have since visited, I have gained much knowledge. On these pages, I intend to record a portion of that knowledge, the beasts I have felled, the techniques I have learned and the full extent of my empirical findings to paper. It is my hope that I can impart any knowledge or lack thereof unto my successor, hoping my triumphs and sufferings might lend light to any tasks I should fail. ))
–Euriel Muruwah

Okoye took her time flipping through the pages, but thanks to her photographic memory, she'd only have to read them once to store them forever. Each entry was nearly three hundred pages long, filled to the ledger with illustrations and annotations that emphasized what Euriel's rhetoric alone couldn't convey. Thanks to her training in the Astral, she knew most of the basics; she'd been taught how to perceive spiritual energy, as well as how to harness it on her own. However, there were incredible poignant details that her previous mentor didn't get the chance to touch on before his passing. Such as the proper terminology for spiritual energy, Mana.. as well as an in depth analysis about the enemies to the tribe. Oni, ghouls, phantoms, and Demons;

Voudani Report VI
(( The Demon Realm, known by various names such as The Realm between Realms, Tartarus, The Necropolis, The Splintered Realm, or simply Hell, exists as an enigmatic plane parallel to the physical world, teeming with horrifying abominations.

While the realm's true origins remain shrouded, legends suggest it's an extension of the primordial darkness that enveloped the universe before the emergence of creation's burning light. Within this ominous domain, pure-blooded demons are born, and the souls of the damned find eternal bondage or imprisonment. Demons manifest from the misery and darkness resulting from the destruction of mortal souls, universally embodying malevolence and immorality. They are extra dimensional entities, feared for their grotesque appearances and the dark magics they wield to possess, haunt, corrupt, or annihilate the living. Their survival in the physical realm hinges on Naten, produced from mortal souls.

In their native realm, demons are capable of unimaginable strength, sparking power struggles and giving rise to numerous independent territories. Amidst this chaos, Ashura, one of the oldest and most formidable demons, lies in a death-like slumber at the heart of The Demon Realm. Ashura's colossal presence induces madness in demons, compelling them to offer sustenance or unwavering servitude. Despite his unconscious state, Ashura wields a formidable almost psionic will capable of commanding an infinite legion of servants and avatars, orchestrating them to flood Hell with more souls. Should his hunger ever be sated, Ashura's awakening would shatter the foundation of reality.

Commanding his dark armada, Ashura set forth to drain Vescrutia of all life. The Voudani Tribe valiantly resisted, warding off the abhorrent creatures, yet not without enduring millions of casualties. The clash between the demonic forces and the defenders escalated, painting a vivid tapestry of conflict within the realm of the supernatural. ))

-Euriel Muruwah

Okoye's fingers were practically shaking as they flipped the pages. She visually shuttered at Euriel's illustrations, whose artwork masterfully captured the terrifying nature of entities she still didn't want to believe existed. Even on paper, some of them were so disturbing just their likeness left a stir in her belly. Yet and still, she couldn't peel her eyes from the pages. She spent hours upon hours staring at the images; redrawing them, coloring them, adding her own annotations until she saw their haunting “faces” in her dreams. From any vantage, the young woman looked possessed. And in a way, she was..

As she familiarized herself with their names and eldritch appearances, Okoye fixated on what made them powerful. Euriel diligently broke down their abhorrent nature and deadly abilities, and she armed herself with what made them unapproachable.

Voudani Report XI
The hierarchy of the Demon Realm can be determined by a combination of power, influence, and the demons' unique attributes. Here are some factors that my empirical experience believes contributes to the hierarchy:

1. **Power Level:**
- The most straightforward determinant is raw power. Demons/Oni/Djinn with greater strength, magical abilities, and destructive potential could hold higher positions in the hierarchy. This power might be measured by the scale of destruction they can unleash or the extent of their control over Mana and dark forces.

2. **Influence Over Souls:**
- Demons who excel in manipulating and harvesting mortal souls could rise in the hierarchy. The ability to gather and harness the essence of damned souls might grant them a significant advantage, as it contributes to the overall strength of the Demon Realm.

3. **Unique Abilities:**
- Demons with rare or unique abilities that serve strategic purposes may hold prominent positions. These abilities could include dominion over specific elements, control over emotions, or manipulation of reality. Diversity in skills ensures a well-rounded hierarchy capable of facing various challenges.

4. **Political Savvy:**
- I have theorized thar The Demon Realm could have a political landscape where they vie for power through alliances, manipulation, and cunning strategies. Those adept at navigating these complex dynamics might ascend the hierarchy even if their raw power is not the highest.

5. **Favor of Higher Entities:**
- Demons who have earned the favor of ancient, primordial beings or cosmic entities within the Demon Realm might enjoy elevated status. This could result from acts of servitude, offering powerful artifacts, or completing significant tasks in the name of these higher beings.

6. **Control Over Territories:**
- Demons who successfully control and expand territories within the Demon Realm may rise in prominence. These territories could be rich in resources, Mana, harvested mortal souls, or strategic advantages, and their rulers could gain influence and recognition within the hierarchy.

7. **Age and Seniority:**
- The longevity of a demon's existence might play a role in determining their position. Older demons may have accumulated more knowledge, experience, and possibly more power over time, granting them higher standing within the hierarchy.

-Euriel Muruwah

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

Okoye had fallen asleep a few times, only to be awakened by the sounds of her heavy snoring before she immediately continued reading where she left off. She'd only ever left her table to use the restroom or fetch a snack. She never bothered to speak or introduce herself to anyone, despite Clara's very clear instructions to meet with Erigor. Not that she planned to.. It had been nearly a month at this point and Okoye was finishing up Euriel's comprehensive exposition, but the girl hadn't noticed how much of a disturbance she'd become to the residents of the Golden Den. Aside from being incredibly antisocial, Okoye hadn't showered since the day she arrived. People were actively avoiding her position as if she were the plague, but she was still attracting perturbed glares and pointing fingers. Nobody aside from Clara and Biblisoph were aware of who she was and why she was here, and the former was far too preoccupied with her patients inflicted by the Sardonyx epidemic to hover over Okoye's poor hygiene.

But she didn't mind the vindictive glares.. She would be gone soon anyway. The amount of time she spent here resting allowed her injuries to mend all the way back to a hundred percent. She would have to thank Clara before she left, but Okoye had no intention of meeting whoever the Hell Erigor was. She didn't owe him anything.. And she didn't want to accrue any more debt than necessary. There was only so much left she needed to read.. she would do so and leave Helidor as quickly as she could. If her fathers troops found her within the Muu, then it was only a matter of time before they discerned her location again. She didn't want the people here to suffer simply for helping her out; her quick exit would be the best thank you she could give them.

It was then that she stumbled upon the rhetoric of exactly what she'd been looking for. After familiarizing herself with Euriel's terrifyingly vivid bestiary, his following reports focused on the Voudani's techniques and abilities.

Voudani Report XV

((Below are techniques, abilities, and skills that I have learned from the Voudani Tribe. I have accounted for the hundreds of different disciplines practiced by our Elders and have distilled them into what I imagine to be the most important. The strength of one's Naten and Mana will determine the potency of each technique.

I. ** Enchanted Weapon Mastery:**
- Proficiency with a variety of weapons such as swords, daggers, and ranged weaponry are paramount when engaging demons in combat. However, the use of weapons capable of being infused with Mana are necessary for effectiveness against demons.

II. **Fuuinjutsu and Seals:**
- Knowledge of protective symbols, wards, and seals to create barriers or traps to contain or repel demons. The use of totems and the appropriate sigils will become consequential when engaging with enemies who are unable to be defeated by conventional means. Some of your enemies will be beyond physical reproach, immortal, invisible, or deviants of the physical realm. Proficiency in Fuuinjutsu is the lifeblood of any Voudani Warrior. Indoctrinate them in your mind as soon as you can.

III. **Exorcism Rituals:**
- Mastery of rituals to expel demons from possessed individuals or banish them from a specific location. I have acquired several different techniques of relevant power, but have also developed my own and categorized them in accordance to the tasks they have accomplished.

IV. **Magical Resistance:**
- Training to resist and counteract demonic magic. The use of totems and crystals will assist you in preserving an area, should you be unable to be present.

V. **Astral Projection:**
- The ability to project one's consciousness into the astral plane to gather information or confront demons on a metaphysical level. This is how I have been able to uncover as much information as I have without having to endanger my life unnecessarily.

Our Elders take great care upon choosing their heirs. Ours is a bizarrely ironic task—to safeguard over the physical realm from the malevolent forces of the Unseen. And for the majority of my life, the warmth in my heart and unfailing dedication to my duty was all I needed to take pride in my mantle- it was what I imagined my predecessors felt during their tenure. We are protectors.

I have taken to wandering the world, and seen much darkness festering within it. I fear it has taken a turn for the worse. The coming apocalypse has eclipsed any iota of hope. These monsters, oni, and Demons alike feed on these negative emotions of these people..and grow as strong as the nights are long. I can sense them now.. everywhere, but here most notably. It is why I have found myself here in the Kingdom of Heliodor.. hunting Demons, monsters and Oni alongside a Guild of capable warriors, led by an Erigor Pharlonious; a powerful Elf from a tribe and land in which I am unfamiliar, but we share a similar resolve. The people of Helidor need help.. and we are lucky to have arrived when we did. ))

-Euriel Muruwah

Okoye glanced eerily over her shoulder. It felt odd to read about Erigor.. when this report was supposedly written nearly two centuries ago. She wondered why Ellios never mentioned him, Euriel or Erigor, during her time training within the Voudani Shrine. The next excerpts woke her right up, as they detailed the two of them terminating monsters and demons alongside each other in defense of the people of Helidor. Their triumphs proceeded to describe them more like gods than warriors.. and truthfully.. sort of made her want to meet Erigor.
Voudani Report XVI

(( ..I would be dead if not for Erigor.. The Gilded Fangs engaged a sorcerer who was capable of harnessing Demonic magics by allowing one of them to possess his body. His power was unlike anything I'd ever seen, even if he hardly a man at this point. With horns and hooves, and feathered wings he was more oni than mortal.. My techniques barely phased him.. all but one.

When facing a foe that is otherwise invincible, our teachings instruct us toward the use of seals.. but by abiding the Voudani protocols, our Fuuinjutsu can only accomplish so much. Our Elders have always emphasized the use of totems when binding demons as opposed to sealing them within oneself. Even as an acolyte, too young to have ever seen a demon, I was taught to never use your body as a totem.. that the mortal soul was easily corruptible. But after what I’ve seen today, I couldn't disagree more.

What I learned that day was that, despite their foresight, the Elders lacked ambition. They were afraid of the potential the Unseen offered the physical realm, and for good reason. The sorcerer who was devoured by the demonic energy was a prime example of what they feared would happen to someone unversed in the spiritual realm.. But I am not. I was always curious as to why I was chosen as the successor to our Tribe, and deployed on this nomadic voyage across Vescrutia. Now I understand my purpose.. I only wonder now if the precursors of our Tribe could see this coming?

With the help of Erigor, along with a few others of his closest friends and wisest sorcerers, I have developed my own seal. It draws upon the powers of Ashura.. capable of absorbing the souls of demons, spirits, and ghouls alike into my own, without the need of totems or the proper etchings for a binding ritual. I feel them clawing at the walls of my mind when I sleep.. I hear the warnings of my Elders taunting me, but I have felt more powerful. Not even Erigor can rival my might.. I have captured hundreds of them.. and call upon them at my leisure. The Realm of Helidor has never been safer.. And it will remain that way, so long as I draw breath. ))

-Euriel Muruwah

--------
Voudani Report XVIII

((Erigor is far from the man I thought him to be.. He is weakened by peace.. like the Elders, he lacks ambition. The Apocalyse looms ever closer and while we do nothing but languish in our false security, the Horsemen grow stronger. I wont allow them to destroy what I've built. Erigor has condemned my initiative; convinced my soul has been corrupted by the creatures I've conscripted to my legion and my thirst for friegthens him. He feigns compassion.. and projects his inadequacy. I remain unbothered in my quest. Soon I my strength will rival that of the stars, and the Demon Realm itself will become my hunting grounds.

The Gilded Fangs speak of forming alliances with other Guilds; they mean to expand their influence. Other realms are experiencing a flood of monstrous activity, demons funneled away from Helidor and into more vulnerable settlements. I will go there myself.. I will singlehandedly avail these realms of their plagues.. absorbing every breathing monster or demon in my wake..

Upon my return, I will relieve Erigor of his duties.. Helidor should be protected by someone with vision. He will be unable to stand up to me.. I haven't seen him lift his sword in years. I will not allow my home to grow so vulnerable.

-This will be my final entry.. Should I perish, I have coded my records in the Voudani dialect. So If you are reading this, you are my successor.. and you must memorize every word and syllable I have written. Ever picture and sigil responsible for my power.. then you must burn these records. Set them to flame as soon as you can.. These Forbidden Techniques must never fall into the hands of the weak. ))

-Euriel Muruwah

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Today was the day.. Aisha was done procrastinating.. Nearly a month had passed since she rescued that mysterious woman from the lands of Muu during her hunt for the Novik, a deadly beast. That Forest of Resonance was its last known feeding grounds as far as the Guild was concerned, which was why it was so incredibly rare that someone was found alive. In less than a year, nearly a hundred hunters lost their lives trying to exterminate the notorious entity. And about a hundred more returned to Helidor too traumatized to ever leave the Den again. Aisha wondered what made Okoye so special.. Clara discerned it was because she was not what she seemed. Aisha was shocked to learn that not only was Okoye not a human, but she may as well have been a walking nuclear bomb.

Aisha knew about much as the next man about the B'halian Empire and the wicked, racist Mazoku Elvs who reside within their protective borders. She'd never seen one with her own eyes, but she was certain they would look far more terrifying than the 5 '8 woman she saw sitting within the Athenaeum. Walking into the central study, Aisha found Okoye sitting at a table surrounded by a mountain of books and scrolls. From a glance, Aisha could tell most of them were at least a century old. Aisha wouldn't have taken her for a book worm if she hadn't seen it herself.

“Can you honestly read that? That book has been here longer than I have, yet I've never seen anyone snap its seal--"

Aisha mentioned as she casually approached her. However, once she got a whiff of Okoye's rancid, month old B.O. and she stopped in her tracks before she passed out from over exposure. She covered her nose with her paw before speaking.

“Ugh– good lord.. Have you not been shown to a room? You smell like you haven't moved from this spot in days..”

Aisha was normally far more tempered and patient, especially when it came to someone she wasn't familiar with. But her sense of smell was far too sensitive to pretend as if she couldn't smell her awful stench.

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

”..Can you honestly read that?--"
Okoye nearly leapt out of her skin at the sound of Aisha's voice suddenly towering over her. She wasn't normally so skittish, but she'd been so enthralled with her reading up to this point that she somehow didn't hear the encroaching footsteps of a 7’ tall anthropomorphic tigress. Despite the thick blanket of silence pervading the Athenaeum.
..That book has been here longer than I have, yet I've never seen anyone snap its seal.. Have you not been shown a room? You smell like you haven't moved from this spot in days..”
“..”

Okoye looked up to Aisha with a withdrawn expression strewn across her face. That sorta look someone would make when they were interrupted from doing something they loved. Her eyes were naturally cold, but today they were especially so. She didn't respond to Aisha, but every bit of her countenance conveyed she wanted privacy. She closed her books and collapsed her scrolls with the intent on keeping her secrets, secret. Okoye never personally met Aisha, and hadn't the slightest clue that she was the one responsible for saving her from certain doom within the Forest of Resonance. But Okoye knew better than to be unnecessarily rude whilst traveling in unfamiliar territory. She was a guest here after-all, even if she hadn't met the appointed leader of the territory. Clara made it clear the people of this Guild were far more approachable than they seemed. Okoye wasn't exactly an extrovert, but she knew how to be cordial. No reason to leave with more enemies than she arrived with..

However, Aisha's comment about her rancid odor did force her eyes to sharpen into daggers. Okoye was awfully conscious of her personal hygiene.. it's not like she knew where to go or who to ask around here to have those parricular needs met. The only room she had was a one she shared with a dozen other patients too ill to leave their beds. No one else aside from Clara even bothered to address her and tell her where the guest rooms were or where the toiletries were located. She knew what she smelled like, she didn't need a reminder. Not that it would have mattered anyway, she was clearly busy!

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Okoye nearly leapt out of her skin at the sound of Aisha's voice suddenly towering over her. ..She wasn't normally so skittish, but she'd been so enthralled with her reading up to this point that she somehow didn't hear the encroaching footsteps of a 7’ tall anthropomorphic tigress..

..She looked up to Aisha with a withdrawn expression strewn across her face.. She didn't respond, but every bit of her countenance conveyed she wanted privacy.. She closed her books and collapsed her scrolls with the intent on keeping her secrets, secret.
"Oh- forgive me, I didn't mean to frighten you."

Aisha pleaded with genuine remorse weighing on her voice. She took a step back as an act of contrition, in hopes her bestial appearance hadn't fouled her first impression. She also adopted a hushed tone in reverence of the many individuals reading within the library.

"My apologies.. My name is Aisha. I am a member of this guild as well as the one responsible for your being here.”

She explained whilst holding out her wrist so that Okoye could see the sigil of the Gilded Fangs emblazoned on the back of her hand.

“I, along with a few of my allies, were deployed to the land of Muu in pursuit of an incredibly dangerous, shadows based entity known as the Novik. We tracked its wake of destruction to the Forest of Resonance, but when we arrived we found you unconscious and nearly dead. We didn't know or see whatever attacked you, but we brought you to our headquarters to see to your wounds. We both owe Clara a great debt.. I didn't want to see anyone else die to that monster..”

Aisha said, with a slight bow of her head. The Novik, the entity she spoke of, was a mysterious, malevolent monstrosity that had already taken the lives of so many. Okoye had no idea how lucky she was to still be alive.

“I'm glad to see she helped you pull through. I wanted to see how you were doing, but I was instructed by Clara to give you time to rest. Of course, you are free to go whenever you please. But I'm sure you have questions.”

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

Okoye's expression softened considerably after Aisha mentioned that she was the one who saved her from dying in the woods. Her memory of the parlous event was still a bit too raw for her to discuss without it causing her scars to tingle beneath her bandages. But aside from the modest dressing of gauze along her arms and abdomen, mottled with a fair level of psychological trauma, Okoye had undergone a full recovery. Physically anyway.. And she owed that to Aisha and her allies.

”Thank you for saving me.. but you should know that I was not attacked by a shadow monster..”

She signed, using the only hand she had left. Slowly and gingerly as to not tear through her bandages.

Fate I
Drifter

Post by Fate I »

Okoye's expression softened considerably after Aisha mentioned that she was the one who saved her from dying in the woods. Her memory of the parlous event was still a bit too raw for her to discuss without it causing her scars to tingle beneath her bandages. But aside from the modest dressing of gauze along her arms and abdomen, mottled with a fair level of psychological trauma, Okoye had undergone a full recovery. Physically anyway.. And she owed that to Aisha and her allies.

”Thank you for saving me.. but you should know that I was not attacked by a shadow monster. It was an Ice Fae..”

She signed, using the only hand she had left. Slowly and gingerly as to not tear through her bandages.
“Oh, umm–”

Aisha was immediately embarrassed. The Arcane Athenaeum offered a wealth of information collected from across the planet, most of it was useful guidelines toward learning skills and other precepts salient for guild members, but the collection wasn't exclusively tailored toward combat. Aside from mystical techniques, there were volumes pertaining to elite diplomatic strategies of known politicians, articles underlining the xenobiology of all known species encountered in Helidor, and hundreds of other scholarly articles.

Unfortunately, while Aisha was a regular within the halls of this studious edifice, she honestly never tried her hand at linguistics. Not that she didn't see the value of being multilingual, she was just so busy with other things to sit down and really master language. Since she was already fluent in the common tongue and her own native language, she spent her time as a Gilded Fang studying bestiaries, archaic tomes and vaunted compendiums; enough to consider herself an artisan of the mystical arts, but she was merely a novice at Vescrutian Sign Language. The only signs she could distinguish were 'you' and 'me' as Okoye communicated silently infront of her. Her eyes frantically darted around the room and traced the many shelves in hopes of spotting a familiar cover. Sadly, she could not.

“I– I don't understand VSL.. Clara told me much about you and your culture.. but aside from the rumors and negative connotations surrounding the Empire, I am unfamiliar with the Mazoku as well. However..”

She admitted, while holding up her open paw with one hand and creating a magical mantra with the other. This generated a tiny notepad and pen from a blister of sapphire light.

“I figured we should still be able to communicate while you were here.”

Return to “Exploration”