The Storm After The Calm

TBC
Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Re: The Storm After The Calm

Post by Shabuto Venkage »

"If I could just warp off this island and back to the Jaida Coast I would. I've been trying to get back home since The Fall... I definitely didn't wager being marooned on an outpost of despair for 10, 11 years now? I guess it's been that long..."
Shabuto's eyes widened at the mention of how long he had been here. A whole decade? Shabuto had been here a few weeks and already found himself tired of being here. Haylin however had spent so much of his life here already wrapped in the coils of Rudrals intense ecosystem and ways. Shabuto's gaze drifted back to the box he was holding. He placed his hands near the locks that were fastened tight.
"Were you waiting on somebody?"
He was, now however found himself contemplating offering Haylin a possible way to make his wish come true. A wish they both shared. It was a complete gamble but if true could change the course of their lives once more." A few weeks ago I was sent to this place alongside a small armada of mercenaries. Commissioned with the task of learning what made the leaders of this place tick." Shabuto looked around him briefly. Now one was within distance of them so he felt safe to speak lowering his tone a bit just in case."We... clashed with the storm I was the only one of my fleet to survive. Only thanks to Mara and Zane two other mercs who happened to come to before I had. They saved my life and we began navigating this place as a party." Shabuto gripped the box in frustration a bit."But after we met the village apothecary Beneva they were kidnapped by SEED..." The meter mentioning of SEED in most places struck fear in the hearts of the natives.

He made sure to say it as quietly as he could despite the irritation in his voice."So Haylin... If I told you there was possibly a way off this floating piece of hell would that lining be silver enough for you?" He said placing the box back into his cloak." Help me save my friends and when we do let's all leave this place. I know it sounds like wishful thinking and I don't even know all the pieces that are currently moving but when I think about sitting here and doing nothing my blood boils. Nothing is absolute... even despair." Beneva's parting words to him. Would he spend another 10 years barking at the moon about his ill-gotten fate? Or would he risk it all on the chance that he could wield his own destiny once again?
"I had forgotten...What the tone of liberty sounded like"

"To think the path to freedom. Would be soaked in blood"

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Shabuto Venkage wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:29 pm
"So Haylin... If I told you there was possibly a way off this floating piece of hell would that lining be silver enough for you?" He said placing the box back into his cloak." Help me save my friends and when we do let's all leave this place. I know it sounds like wishful thinking and I don't even know all the pieces that are currently moving but when I think about sitting here and doing nothing my blood boils. Nothing is absolute... even despair."

Or would he risk it all on the chance that he could wield his own destiny once again?
"Heh, strange you expect me to believe you have a way off the island when your whole squad got murdered on the way here. That doesn't sound just a little bit fishy to you? You could be Seed yourself, I've seen them fool people in here too many times and your Goldilocks offer fits the bill of a scam."

As much as his interest was piqued, common sense and the content of their conversation so far left Haylin with little reason to believe anything coming out of Shabuto 's mouth. He only looked a little foreign so he could be a plant by Seed itself, his whole presentation a deception, and Haylin rarely made gambles he thought he would lose.

"Is what's gonna get us off the island in that box? You don't even know if I'd rob you once I found out. And I do think I could take it from you. You'll have to show me something a bit more convincing than than a sob story."

He wanted so dearly to go home, feel the highland plains between his feet and the zesty air filling his lungs. This 10 year rainfall got old after week one and they rarely got a peek at good sunlight. The thought of eating a meal with friends made his mouth water, thought of a hug ran shivers down his spine, he missed his family so much.

"So convince me."

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Shabuto smirked and that smirk soon turned into a chuckle. Probably the first one he's had since coming here. Him? Apart of SEED? Ha! That was laughable. Though considering the cutthroat nature of this place Haylin's line of thinking was totally understood and in truth, Shabuto couldn't surmise what he could say that would convince Haylin of anything. I all honestly Shabuto was betting everything on the words of a witch and the vision a spirit bequeathed to him. Neither of which he could attest to the validity of their claims. The promise of freedom from this island must have been used an incalculable amount of times to lure and trap the weary-hearted stragglers. Haylin had probably in his many years seen and heard that promise broken and weaponized constantly. Despite that though...underneath Haylin's skepticism was a glimmer in his eye. A glimmer that conveyed he had not yet given up hope.

Not entirely

Shabuto could not force him to believe especially when himself was even less aware than of the working of this Island. But god dammit what he did know is that his friends indeed were captured by SEED and currently the place that was Occupied was the seat of power for the literal backbone of this place. The Storm Gods shrine. Seat of Azlan. "Think so?" Shabuto said as he took the box out and tossed it to Haylin. SHabuto was very confident that he could not be able to wield. Mostly because what was inside was something that only one of Shabuto's bloodlines could use."Go ahead open it up give it a whirl". He said going back to his meal. When and if Haylin opened the box he would find a ring. The band gave the illusion of steel. In truth, it was crafted from bone mistral. Directly tethering Shabuto to the ring allowing none but him to wield it. A truth lost to Haylin.

In its center was an amber stone that upon closer inspection one could see a swirling aura with tiny crackles of lighting-like energy.It's a resonator and amplifier. As it stands it's the only way someone not of SEED can enter the Storm gods shrine, the seat of Azlan's core. That there is my gamble... I'm prepared to go it alone if need be. But then I'd be sad thinking about how I had to leave you and your bird fellow here all alone without my cheery demeanor to keep you warm at night." A cheeky smirk before tearing into a meaty leg washing it down with another glud of his drink."Listen you've every reason under Xelphis not to trust me, in all fairness, the feeling is pretty mutual. I'm gonna go out on a limb here though and say you haven't given up just yet Haylin. You can't sit here and tell me you're fine with wasting away here without trying everything possible to leave. If you are, then perhaps my judgment is lacking more than I care to admit."

The young venkage wiped his mouth of the residual juice before adjusting his strap. His gaze met Haylin's."If the scholars above have weaved a fate that involves me dying here...that means abandoning the promise I made... then to hell with Rudral, SEED, hell even the scholars themselves. I'll tear the very constellations asunder if I have to. I'm not staying here." His eyes began echoing a faint amber glow as he balled his hand around his fork. He meant it, he was fully prepared to risk everything, and if one didn't possess that kind of conviction he'd be better off without them.

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

Cass had woken up, hearing Shabuto refer to them as a mere bird and squawking in disapproval.

"Yeah, Cass is more than just a bird, thanks. And you're sure that this ring can get us in?"

Haylin glossed over a lot o fthe details, knowing that with enough convition behind him, anything was possible and everything is permitted if it means getting off this island. Cass hadn't spazzed out yet, seeming pretty calm throughout the whole conversation, a rarity for the perceptive poultry. Haylin and Cass locked eyes while examining the ring, unable to make heads or tails of its design. It looked stormy, a little magical in some way, but was overall unimpactful to him. Then again, it matched its owner, unassuming in that kind of non threatening kind of way, but still too soon to be trusted. Heading into Azlan's Throne never once crossed his mind knowing how much unsavory Seed activity takes place there, but a whole team of mercenaries died to take them on if Shabuto's story checked out. Something worth at least a glance if it meant making it back to the Gafren Plains.

"Actually, nevermind, I'll just let you know now that on the first sign of stank activity, anything fishy at all, we're out." Haylin pauses. "And I mean it. I will leave you in a ditch if things get too unreasonable."

Haylin didn't know what to say, but he couldn't sign up to risk his own life on the off chance that he was about to get double-crossed. He had two lives to think about and neither of them included dying on this island in a Seed-y double-crossing he shouldn't have walked into. His accompaniment was a tacit agreement at best for now, until Shabuto proved otherwise. Cass cawed confidently, ruffling its feathers and stepping off the barstool into all its 7 foot glory. Its whole body sat lithe, but solid, each press of its talons into the floor huffed with pressure.

"That cool with you?"

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

"Yeah, Cass is more than just a bird, thanks. And you're sure that this ring can get us in?"
Shabuto wiped the sauce off his hands on a napkin before slightly bowing toward Cass." But of course, forgive my impertinence won't you, Cass?". He said as Myra began making her way from her rounds. It was time for their break before they got started on the choirs needed for the midday shift.
"Actually, nevermind, I'll just let you know now that on the first sign of stank activity, anything fishy at all, we're out." Haylin pauses. "And I mean it. I will leave you in a ditch if things get too unreasonable."

Haylin didn't know what to say, but he couldn't sign up to risk his own life on the off chance that he was about to get double-crossed. He had two lives to think about and neither of them included dying on this island in a Seed-y double-crossing he shouldn't have walked into. His accompaniment was a tacit agreement at best for now, until Shabuto proved otherwise. Cass cawed confidently, ruffling its feathers and stepping off the barstool into all its 7 foot glory. Its whole body sat lithe, but solid, each press of its talons into the floor huffed with pressure.

"That cool with you?"
"Heh hold it you two. Brom, the stuff."

Said Myra as she neared the Bar top. She nodded toward Brom who made his way toward the back. Shabuto fitted his teeth his anxiety going towards the roof. Had they heard his mention of SEED? Were Myra and Brom agents for them this entire time? Barely on foot onto the journey and he's already screwed up this badly? "Myra-". She raised her hand and then her scowle went into a smile.

"Listen, Kid, I don't know what trouble you're about to get Haylin here wrapped into. Not that he and Cass need any help in that department."

She said throwing a cheeky wink at the pair. After a bit of rustling in the back, Brom brought out two bags. They were moderate in size scrolls rope and some other basic traversal gear could be seen.

"We can't let you strut out of hearing on some expedition ill-equipped. This island is far from forgiving."

Shabuto almost melted back into his chair. Geez man...nearly gave me a heart attack". He said as he sighed heavily while Brom placed the pair of supplies on the countertop and slid them down to the party of three.

"There's food In there to dried fruits and VEGGIES. You better eat them or I swear I'll drag your half-dead corpse back here and force-feed 'em to you myself."

Said Brom folding his arms and staring Shabuto down with a cold glare. Shabuto looked at Brom with an equally intense glare"What're my dad?! He barked back. Shabuto reached for the packed closet to him but found his arm grabbed by Brom. Looking like he was going in for another chop Shabuto prepared for impact but was instead met with the soft pat of Brom laying his massive hand gently on his head.

"Seriously kid, take care of herself"

Brom said before taking his apron off and heading to the back to enjoy his break. Shabuto found himself flustered and even blushing a bit. That was the first time anyone had ever shown him such affection and kindness. It was like a knife through the heart. A gruesome reminder of all he lacked in this life and yet, an affirming one at the same time. That there were still people who held some kind of light in their hearts. That someone could see even an iota of his even when he himself was still blind to it. Before he knew it his hand was resting in the spot Brom touched, smiling. Swiftly coming to his senses he placed his hood over his head letting a dry false cough escape him before grabbing and placing the bag on his person.Eh em, to answer your earlier question Haylin. That's fine by me. I have you back, for as long as you have mine. Well, you and Cass." He began to exit the tavern, just before passing the doors he looked to Myra and mouthed silently the words thank you. She smirked and flipped him off turning back to Haylin before she made her way to the back as well.

"There's a map in your buddy's pack. Years ago Brom and I scoured the entire southeast side of the island. That map is a copy we made. Some of the notable rivers and places of safe gathering for food. It was decades ago so I'm sure a lot has changed. Should do as a rough draft as best. In your pouch of snacks for Cass."

She said as she entered the back

"I would say see yah around but, something tells me that it is unnecessary. Find peace, Haylin"

Shabuto would be waiting outside for Hyalin to join him. His pendant in hand, his eyes staring down Azlan.

Haylin Gafren
Drifter

Post by Haylin Gafren »

"We'll be back in those stools if it doesn't pan out. Keep the soup rolling."

Haylin laughed as he took the bag from Brom, rummaging through it to find the map he referred to. Hopefully they were as good a pair of cartographers as they were restauranteurs. It was sweet to see Brom and Myra take a liking to Shabuto, they tried not to play favorites in the tavern, but always wound up showing their hand. Shabuto, Haylin, and Cass all were in their good graces and for good reason, they never messed up the place. Haylin and Cass walked out and looked into the expanse and towards Azlan.

"So, I guess we're on the way?"

Return to “Erosia”