Hunting (Help Wanted) [End]

The Maaluukian Woods teem with many life forms. The name was given to the woods by the native Elvs, Vescrutian moths. Maaluuki have heightened senses and extrasensory abilities, they prevent travelers from finding their homes with Psionic abilities.
Qarinah
Drifter

Hunting (Help Wanted) [End]

Post by Qarinah »

The Forest of Resonance was incredibly vast, deeper than any Amazon and filled with more wildlife than entire countries. Within its coils of exotic foliage, skittering beats, and towering arbor, massive resovoirs of naten were hidden. They provided the flora and fauna with practically limitless resources.

Various agents, scientists, and soldiers of the Astral Kingdom were tasked with exploring the massive ecosystem. Doing so, scholars have discovered thousands of different species native only here, due to the powerful concentrations of Naten thereabout. Cartographers and geological pioneers created maps that exposed these pools of raw energy, so that the Kingdom could properly preserve the integrity of the forest. These were places and routes within the Forest that denizens were instructed to avoid, usually for their own protection. As animals born closer to these oasis were incredibly territorial.. with horrifying metrics of power. Most of them residing within the Maalukian Woods.

Qarinah was pretty familiar around these parts. Like her, most of the dangerous beasts within these lands were nocturnal. They roamed these woods under the mask of darkness, where their knowledge of pitch black territory made hunting for food a breeze. She been veering through its haunting shadows for about an hour now, and the moon was at its Zenith. There weren't too many maps that could lead you out of the Maalukia should you be foolish enough to wander to far. Voyagers who survive warn of whispers that beckon them further, foreign hymns that pervert the sense. Qarinah was here for one of them, but she knew she'd need help doing so.

She'd spent a long time whining about how she would find help after disbanding her temple, but making friends was harder than it seemed. Was she supposed to pass out flyers? She sort of did that but put to it as little effort as she could.

[Searching For Power Hungry Warriors and Hunters. Hunting For Beasts, Treasure Involved. Follow River Through Maluukian Woods, Meet There After Dark.]

Was the jist of what she wrote on about a dozen or so scrolls of eleven parchment. It had been some time since she ever needed someone else to accomplish a goal, let alone tried to make a friend. So she never gave another thought to what she was sure was a welcome invitation. She settled in a small clearing at the opening of the Maluukian Woods, near a woodland river that would hopefully guide her attendees. She sat pretty and poised upon a nearby Boulder, with her leg resting on her lap.
Last edited by Qarinah on Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zolgarious Gilden
Drifter

Re: Hunting (Help Wanted)

Post by Zolgarious Gilden »

The Forest of Resonance was incredibly vast, deeper than any Amazon, and filled with more wildlife than entire countries. Within its coils of exotic foliage, skittering beats, and towering arbor, massive reservoirs of naten were hidden. They provided the flora and fauna with practically limitless resources.
Amongst the natural symphony of the Maalukian denizen's creation, a small but solid thud would be heard colliding against the solid road-like paths. Their owner would've been thought to be a tower of a man but instead from the various brushes and towering plant life a little nugget of a boy would emerge. Hair fair as snow with eyes that pierced the darkness before them, a soft gleam to them that rivaled the very shine of the moon above them. His skin was like hazel and clasped in some manner of garb he received right before...

"I still can't believe it...Shareesha...all the others"

His soft light voice trickled through the expanse muffled over by the ecosystem around him. A little wolf-like creature rested on top of his head. He had found the little tyke abandoned and about to get smashed by a boulder in the dry land he wandered through some weeks ago. The boulder was smashed to pieces once it collided with his Kah and the creature has followed him ever since. He wasn't sure what kind of animal it was, but it had an uncanny sense of smell.

Zol, know this, where most Michio have been made to walk a predetermined path. You possess a fate that for once is not set in stone. You can choose to define what it means...to be Michio

These were the last words she said before smashing the escape pod that brought him here. Back to the Mother. Tasked with defining a purpose. His purpose.

"Gah I can't think about that right now...we came to do a job right Meru?

That was the name he gave the creature would let out a cute howl. The slight thud of his voyage became a little more intense. The main reason being...

"W-why'd it have to be so dark?"

He wasn't a fan of the dark at all. But this particular contract prefixed this time to meet at this the upcoming location.

"Come to think of it..."

He reached into his nap sack and grabbed the scroll he received from the guild earlier.
[Searching For Power Hungry Warriors and Hunters. Hunting For Beasts, Treasure Involved. Follow River Through Maluukian Woods, Meet There After Dark.]
"Geesh...but we kinda need the money huh, we do eat a lot"

Speaking of which he'd pause for a minute and put the scroll on the ground. Reaching into the bottom of the pack he'd pull out two packs of meaty snacks. Meru's nose quickly flicked before it stood right on Zol's head before shooting out a series of small yelps. Zol chuckle as he ripped one open and tossed his pal a snack. Meru would start eating while zol tossed a handful in his own mouth as well. They'd bang the bang and at the end, it would dawn on Zol that they needed to hurry to the meeting place, they didn't want to develop a bad rep for being late to jobs, they were still new hunters after all.

"Ok, Meru we're almost to the meeting spot, mind sniffing the scroll and leading the way?"

Meru finished his snack before nodding in compliance with Zol's wish. Meru hopped down beside the scroll and sniffed it two times. It would then sniff around the surrounding area before his ears perked up. He quickly faced the direction the smell was coming for and without any hesitation took off at full speed.

"H-hey Meru wait for me!"

He yelled as naten began to embed in his feet. The clothing he wore had tremor suppressant material woven into his shoes. This allowed him to run without tearing up the world around him. He begins sprinting though not at full speed, Meru was quick but Zol's strength was his legs, the chiseled canvas that was Michio's body allowed him access to enhanced physical traits so keeping up with Meru was simple. A few moments would pass and eventually Meru would stop just short of the boulder that laid beneath a tower of a woman.

Meru would stop dead in his tracks stopping a few yards from the boulder ad began barking. He was tense, why was he suddenly so anxious? Zol caught up to him and quickly grabbed him. He stared up at the being a bit awe-struck himself...

W-woa...

He had never seen such a woman before. He felt his own body tense up as well. He was sure though that Meru wasn't anxious for the same reasons he was...Meru only reacted like this...to danger.

"Sorry miss, he's a little on edge"

Zol said holding the scroll in his free hand. He kept himself steady as was his breath. He didn't want to give off any weird vibes until he could ascertain his situation.
Last edited by Zolgarious Gilden on Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qarinah
Drifter

Post by Qarinah »

Qarinah glanced over her shoulder to meet Zol and his friend once they shuffled through the darkness. The full moon was beaming on this shadowy glade, giving all three of them the proper lighting to make introductions. Qarinah was aware the effect she had on people beyond the sunlit hours. Elegance and poise aside, Q was taller than most humans. Her outfits were hand tailored and accented with opulent trinkets either coiled in her hair, or pierced through her flesh. And of course, her sharp eyes were a bit intimidating when they pierced through shade. But she couldn't shut that off even if she tried

Which was why she opted for this location to make her introduction, or lack thereof. Qarinah often relied on her beauty to sway opinions or manipulate emotions. In fact she was proficient in it. But despite her many years, she had little experience hunting alongside children, which her puzzled expression conveyed.

"Are you lost?"

She couldn't keep from smiling a bit as she gave him a brief once over, but she was careful enough to hide her fangs for the moment. Him and his furry friend looked tragically misplaced for one of the Astral's more dangerous biomes, albeit well dressed. She almost didn't notice her flyer tucked in his hand. But she just couldn't imagine him to be any older than... 12?

"..or did you steal that scroll and armor from your mother?"

Zolgarious Gilden
Drifter

She's really tall...and pretty Is she from the giant race?

Zol pondered briefly whilst also trying to calm Meru down. What was up with him? He didn't feel anything malicious are malefic about this woman, quite the contrary. Her poise, her voice. They reminded him...of royalty. She was giving him some kind of confused look. Had he done something strange? Zol hadn't had much experience associating with anyone that wasn't of his bloodline. There were so many weird and awkward social queues that tikeling Micho was still trying to wrap his head around. He definitely wasn't lost though, Meru's nose never failed. Speaking of which it was high time for Meru to chill out. If things were to go smoothly his friend would have to have an open spirit. He trusts his judgment sure but aggression was not the answer here.

"Meru..."

Zol's innocent expression became stern for a few seconds as he placed Meru in his line of sight. His spirit became firm, unshakable. Meru sensed this and began to quiet down keeping eye contact with Zol the entire time.

"Meru...Friend"

Meru would release a bark, it was one of confirmation. Meru did then to protect Zol quite dutifully and forcefully. However with them now being in such a widely diverse field like Monster hunting they were gonna meet all sorts of people whose moral lines were all intersecting and crossing. Because of this Zol has taught Meru a command. One where he helps Meru to know how to react to things he is unsure of. Whatever she had done before coming here Zol would not assume. They had a job to do. After the park, Zol smiled again rubbing Meru's head and placing him back atop his own.

"Hehe I'm not lost Meru here can smell things several miles away with some spot-on accuracy."

Meru would know in agreement. He was quite proud of his gift.
"..or did you steal that scroll and armor from your mother?"
"Mother?"

For a split second his cheerful demeanor got heavy, incredibly heavy as he remembered the last time he saw his mother's face. Then it dawned on him that she just accused him of stealing!

"Wh-what?!"

He responded with a slight hop and a shocked face. He'd never stolen a thing in his life! Well except that one time he asked for an extra cookie and his dad told him no so he snuck in the middle of the night for one but that was different, and thousands of years ago!

"We'll have you know that were are certified, Hunters! I got this scroll from the Monster Hunters guild not too far from the Lonely stone!"

Meru barked in agreeance. The little pup would hop into Zol'ss pack, grabbing Zol's Hunters license. He'd walk over to her and motioned for her to grab the object from him.

"As for the armor well..."

He remembered what Shareesha told him. About the daunting past of the Michio. How she advised him to only tell his lineage to those he trusts. At least until he was strong enough to shoulder everything that came with proclaiming the name; Michio.

"I used the last of my money from the last hunt to upgrade. "

Yeah, that's it. Confident in his lie he smirked feeling like he'd cover that base.

"Though...I gotta admit"

He said rubbing his head with his other hand bearing a Cheshire cat grin

"I haven't got a clue who it is that I am supposed to be meeting here...*

He'd chuckle nervously as Meru merely shook his head.

Qarinah
Drifter

Post by Qarinah »

"We'll have you know that were are certified, Hunters! I got this scroll from the Monster Hunters guild not too far from the Lonely stone!"

Meru barked in agreeance. The little pup would hop into Zol'ss pack, grabbing Zol's Hunters license. He'd walk over to her and motioned for her to grab the object from him.

"I'll be damned.."

She mumbled under her breath, leaning toward Meru to give Zol's credentials a fine once over with her own eyes and the truth stared right back at her. His name and profile in laminated form, embroidered on a card with the respective name/emblem of the guild he represented. The surname "Michio", hit a chord somewhere in the back of her mind, but she wasn't exactly sure why.

"The Astral hosts an organized guild of hunters? Well, had I known that I wouldn't have needed to make those ridiculous posters to lure one of you out here."

She pouted, crossing her arms and folding her legs atop her little boulder as she reflected on the time and effort she wasted developing that incredibly tantalizing poster Zol crinkled in his hand.

Then she wondered, Just how many other monster hunting guilds were there in the territory? Judging from his age, Qarinah figured there must have been a surplus number of different agencies throughout the alliance operated by private parties. Efficient.. considering the rising number of violent creatures throughout Vescrutia, but she did question the integrity of the men or counselors responsible for recruiting children. She couldn't help but wonder the criteria behind earning their badge of approval, and if it was worth it's weight in dirt. One look on the boys face, and she could tell he wasn't accustomed to fighting for his life.
"Though...I gotta admit."

He said rubbing his head with his other hand bearing a Cheshire cat grin

"I haven't got a clue who it is that I am supposed to be meeting here.."

"So, you took on this assignment willingly, without knowing who or what you were looking for? Did you even stop to consider what was being hunted? Or who, for that matter?"

She teased through a rather devious, solemn tone.

"What if I was the monster?"

Qarinah proposed, gesturing to herself using one of her beautifully manicured, razor sharp talons. It was abundantly clear that Zol's coalition of hunters neglected to perform background checks on their clients, but that didn't surprise her. Most guilds weren't too particular about how they made their coin. So long as the offer stood, they could careless about details and anticipated that their Hunters would be able to handle whatever situation they signed up for.

Her brazen stare trailed from Zol and slooowly crept back to the Earth, where her eyes rested on Meru's small furry frame. The two of them had the qualifications, but Qarinah doubted if they held the conviction necessary to kill another living thing fighting tooth and nail for its life. Hunting was not a game. And the monsters beyond this clearing were incredibly dangerous.

Zolgarious Gilden
Drifter

Upon the card, Q would find the name "Michio Zol" inscribed on it. In the top right corner, there would exist a symbol of the Golden Lion. The Mark of the Gilden Fang Guild. It hadn't quite dawned on him also that if he was trying to keep his Surename hidden then it might've not been such a good idea to let Meru show her his license so easily. Though just the same he worked hard for that badge and was darn proud of it. Novice or no. Zol knew that titles did not dictate ability. He wasn't the strongest person alive, sure, but he was far from the weakest. He had proved that much to Gilden Fang, lead by Erigor Gilden Fang a warrior recognized by the Official name of "The Orion Consortia". He'd take his pack off and set it down beside him placing the scroll in it as well as his badge.
"So, you took on this assignment willingly, without knowing who or what you were looking for? Did you ever stop to consider what was being hunted? Or who, for that matter?"
"What if I was the monster?"
Zol plopped on the ground beneath him, his collision with the earth caused a weighty thud. Meru would run up his arm to perch atop his head.

"I mean sure we thought about that but it's not like the scroll was detailed to begin with. Besides, it said they were looking for power-hungry hunters. Gilden Fang said we'd find out the rest when we got here so long as we made it by nightfall. That's all we needed to know"

He fasted the lace on his shoe.

"The worlds filled with all kinds of strange and scary things. Nature is fierce and harsh..."

He said as he stood back up and stretched his legs out. Dusting off the dirt.

"But I have seen death, felt it, survived it. That's why I have to get strong."

He said staring at her in those piercing mirrors of hers. Seeing his own crimson gaze reflecting in her retinas.

"If you were the monster. Then you'd be just another scary thing I'd have to face."

He was by no means a cocky kid but he knew what it was to walk with a goal in mind. His pursuit of strength was not just to prove he was the strongest around. He had something worth growing for. A family worth protecting.

"Wait are you here for the same contract? Are you with one of the other guilds?"

He knew that most people would underestimate him not only for just his age but his size as well. He didn't get discouraged. He knew he could hold his own despite being a newbie. He had his eyes fixated on the future to come and the promise he was to keep.

Qarinah
Drifter

Post by Qarinah »

"The worlds filled with all kinds of strange and scary things. Nature is fierce and harsh..."

He said as he stood back up and stretched his legs out. Dusting off the dirt.

"But I have seen death, felt it, survived it. That's why I have to get strong."

He said staring at her in those piercing mirrors of hers. Seeing his own crimson gaze reflecting in her retinas.

"If you were the monster. Then you'd be just another scary thing I'd have to face."

"Heh, well aren't you brave? Michio Zol.. Maybe a bit green for a hunter, and a touch naive.. but brave. An admirable trait for a man."

She was intrigued; at least enough to finally lift up from that uncomfortable little boulder and thoroughly dust herself off. Qarinah would be a liar if she said she didn't see anything burning within Zol's crimson peepers. Ambition aside, she could see there was real power pumping through those tiny veins. Sure it was latent and criminally untapped, but it was certainly present. Raw. Rigid. And old by the smell of him. There was clearly more to the young man than she was ready to give him credit for. But whether or not he met criteria was irrelevant. He was confident enough to journey all the way out here, so she'd give him a shot.

"However, you should know.. in this realm of strange and scary things, the brave always die first. Despite their strength they usually learn the hard way that a goal without a plan, is a child's wish."

The words fell limp from her lips like a tired old parable she'd been force fed since childhood. But her credulous tone wasn't to detract from the importance of the message. Qarinah couldn't the tally the number of soldiers and wizards who pointed their blades at her without any form of tactic or strategy in their arsenal. Drunk on power and bravado, men often deluded themselves beyond the need of caution. Talented hunters, powerful warriors.. all of them now their own cautionary tale each more gruesome than the last. But rich with wisdom that an aspiring huntsman like Zol could benefit from.

Another time, perhaps..

"Never risk your life without hedging your chances first. I figured you would have learned that at your guild, or at the very least, I figured they would have scouted whoever hired you. But it seems they have no qualms about sending out alone."

She couldnt help herself from saying a few words before taking a couple of leaf crunching steps toward the maw of the haunting wilderness. Where timbres of skittering critters and snapping branches bounced beyond the shadows. Qarinah's gaze was focused, as if she had already found what she was looking for. Which wasn't too far off from the truth, but she looked back to make sure Zol was prepared to proceed. She was a loquacious woman whether she liked it or not, so she had trouble managing people with short attention spans.

"Means they think you're either really strong, or not worth the effort-"

But suddenly, Qarinah cut her lecture short as something else demanded her immediate attention. Her eyes cut to her left and fixated on whatever it was rustling through the trees.

"Oi, but he isn't alone is he?"

Said the man who exited the shadowy timbers first, followed by his personal caravan of fellow hunters. This man's name was Dawli, a desert elf born from the crimson dunes whose body was covered from head to toe in an array of different weapons. His left arm and legs were outfitted with protective armor while his chest and face laid bare. Save for the unique, auburn markings engraved in his flesh. He carried a permanent smirk on his face as he glared at Q; confident and smug as his allies stepped forth. Beside him was an older man named Opa,and his bearish body seemed to be the only weapon in his arsenal. His pale skin was decorated in scars and muscles that seemed to quake with every breath he took. His eyes were white like the moon which explained his lifeless gaze.

And behind the both of them, towering at the very least 8 feet tall, was Aisha. A powerful tiger warg born from the frigid artic lands surrounding the Astral Chaos known as the Frozen Wastes and she hauled on her massive shoulders a backpack full of scrolls and spells she deemed appropriate for the mission. Her tribe specialized in the mystical arts, one of spells those being  "Subterfuge."  A masking spell that hid their presence from Qarinah and Zol until Dawli gave the signal. The sand elf was the undersignated leader of their three pronged squad, and completed more missions than eighty five percent of the entire Golden Fang Guild. And unlike Zol, Dawli was a cocky little shit.. but he did earn the accolades to be considered a superb hunter.

"You wouldn't of-- couldn't of known this little tid bit, but us Fangs typically come as a package deal, I'm afraid. But don't beat ya'self up love, you weren't completely wrong. The boy there is stronger than he looks, much stronger. So.. useless ain't the word to be usin'.. Expendable is a better term. Right? Opa, am I usin' that word right? Expendable? Whatever tha case, Michio can be pretty hard to kill."

The older warrior wouldn't budge and inch. He had already focused all of his enhanced senses(aside from sight of course) on Qarinah. His milky leer was waiting for her to pop off at any moment. He warned Dawli about amusing their employer, but Dawli insisted they could use the Michio child as bait. If Qarinah was truly attempting some half baked assassination attempt or any caliber of skullduggery, the Michio boy would probably survive.

But in cases like this, they could simply show up and take over the mission from there. Qarinah never specified how many hunters she needed or exactly how large the reward was. But the scroll was written on eleven parchment; an expensive and rare cloth with trade value through the roof. The scrolls alone could be sold for a fortune. It only made sense that the woman had more money than she knew what to do with. So Dawli saw an opportunity, and gathered the best hunters he knew to cash in.

"..good work lad. This could be your first real hunt. Stick close to me and I'll show ya few things."

Dawli said to Zol as he and his team approached. A Michio joining thejr guild was news that spread like a plague, and whether he knew it or not, Zol's his name was on everyones radar.

Qarinah's expression however was more or less the since before they arrived. She wasn't necessarily upset, but she was already thinking about how dealing with more bodies could be a hassle in the end. She didn't want to babysit Zol, let alone three others. But at first glance, they certainly looked more qualified than Zol.. although, far less charming.

"Using the boy as bait was your plan? Guess you hunters are kinda clever."

Zolgarious Gilden
Drifter

"However, you should know.. in this realm of strange and scary things, the brave always die first. Despite their strength they usually learn the hard way that a goal without a plan, is a child's wish."
Zol placed his hands on top yet somewhat behind his head leaning back against a Boulder in the clearing. Q sure was motherly for someone who spoke like a battle hardened warrior. It was a trait that Zol found to be somewhat endearing. Though he could be a brat at times Unlike most children Zol had ample respect when folks shared wisdom with him. Though his face might always portray that.So what was it about her that gave Meru the chills earlier? He couldn’t ignore her words though, his father once told him the very same...then he gave his life to give Sol a fighting chance. He wouldn’t toss it away so easily.

Nor would he allow it to be taken...

His gaze drifted from her and lazily toward the moon. There they rested as she he continued.
"Never risk your life without hedging your chances first. I figured you would have learned that at your guild, or at the very least, I figured
they would have scouted whoever hired you. But it seems they have no qualms about sending out alone."
In truth Zol practically begged Erigor for this job. Zol was of low rank in the guildhall system but to reach his goal he needs to climb the ladder. The Sapphire comet...only he...
"Means they think you're either really strong, or not worth the effort-"
His gaze snapped back from the moon towards her locking in as she confirmed his readiness. The thought of his father sparked a little flare in his belly. He was getting his head in gear.

“I will not fall...”

He said as he lifted from his slightly rested position

“Besides I—“

Meru would jump up as his ears twitched. He hopped down from Zols head and growled at the woods behind them. Zol would turn face Meru when..
"Oi, but he isn't alone is he?"
Rang a familiar voice from the shadows of the woods. Zola laid back expression was crumbled as not only Dawli but Opa and Aisha both appeared out of no where. Had they really been able to trail them in secrecy this whole time.?

“D-Dawli?The heck are you three doing here”

What in the Vaeroth bogs was going on here? He thought he they had a deal!

“Dang it Erigor...you jerk. When I get back I swear...”

He said with his eyes closed and first clutched. He was gonna rock that man one next time they met for jipping him like this. He gave him all his gold to let him come on this hunt to represent Gilden Fang to whoever the rich wealthy patron was. Greedy bastard just wanted his money.
"You wouldn't of-- couldn't of known this little tid bit, but us Fangs typically come as a package deal, I'm afraid. But don't beat ya'self up love, you weren't completely wrong. The boy there is stronger than he looks, much stronger. So.. useless ain't the word to be usin'.. Expendable is a better term. Right? Opa, am I usin' that word right? Expendable? Whatever tha case, Michio can be pretty hard to kill."
“E-expendable?!”

The nerve of that guy. Dawli was a arrogant knuckle head but he had the goods. Despite being some kind of weapons expert his tactical prowess was far from dull. It had earned him the title of Blood Fang. Opa and Aisha were also heavy hitters in the guild as well. Opa always had such a strong and stern look. He had met a Michio before in battle and wasn’t impressed with Zol at all. He often dismissed his presence.He was known the War Fang. For the monstrous strength that often made his fights one sided.Aisha was his favorite,of course, Zol loves animals and the fact that she was a Warg was the greatest thing ever.

They had more of a relationship as she and Meru are quite fond of each other. He had actually met her for the first time during a break she was taking after finishing a job that took 3 monthsto complete. She’s the only one Meru never growled at. During that time they often trained together. More like Zol annoyed her until she finally caved in. She was helping him to learn to read the current vescrutian tongue as well as helping him with Naten control. She was a tenacious spell weilder embodying the ferocity and majesty of nature. She wasn’t known as the Mystic Fang for nothing.

“Aisha you’re the reason Meru couldn’t sense you guys right? That’s a mean trick to play onna friend!”

He said scolding yet somewhat joking manner. Meru didn’t care he was just happy to see her again and jump from Zol to her without hesitation.

I thought dogs and cats didn’t get along —_—

He thought as he got a little jealous every time Meru ran for her like that. Zols the one who feeds him after all.
"..good work lad. This could be your first real hunt. Stick close to me and I'll show ya few things."
“Yeah right with the way you fight I’d sooner join the enemy “

Dawli was the top hunter and Zol self appointed rival. Now that he was here Zol was fired up.

He absolutely would not fall behind. He was going to make sure folks remembered the night that the name Michel once carried.

“So that means... You are the person who sent out those scrolls then. Talk about luc-“

Meru would glare at Zol with a men’s icing look as he was about to give away praise that surely belonged to him. After all of everyone had been following Zol they benefited from the night of his nose which Followed Q scent here

“I-I mean all thanks to you Meru buddy!”

That Cheshire Cat grin crept up again. Man...having friends was hard. He could not lie though, it felt good to know that they were watching his back. Zol was gifted but still young and often allowed his ambition to cloud his judgement. No doubt the Guildmaster knows this and made sure to send him back up for a fee of course. If Erigor made sure to send three of them on this job then it might’ve have been more troublesome then he first thought...he needed to know, though he should’ve asked this much sooner...

“Just what are we out here hunting anyway?”

Qarinah
Drifter

Post by Qarinah »

Qarinah took a second to gather her thoughts before she spoke again, but the way her slit pupils sized up the three hunters suggested she'd already chosen violence. Or at least she was ready to.

Aisha was not the first Warg Qarinah encountered in her long life, and she certainly wasn't the first she'd had the pleasure of killing. But the caliber of skill required to cast a spell strong enough to fool her vampiric senses separated her from her fallen kin and clansmen. Her body was covered in coarse striped fur, bearish might and enchanted garments but her dwarfing stature was the smallest dagger among her lethal arsenal of weaponary.

..talented.

She thought to herself before leering toward at Opa whom despite his age, appeared to be the sentinel of this tiny caravan. The way he stood in front of his two allies, poised, shoulders squared, chest out, conveyed true confidence without having to utter a word. His silver pupils seemed frozen in place, but he was more than aware of everyone's exact location. Qarinah, especially. His physique suggested that he compensated his lack of sight with mind numbing discipline and training, the sorts of which were unclear.

Dawli's voice was incredibly irritating; coupled with that unflattering backwater accent made Qarinah want to abandon this voyage altogether and just kill all three of them instead. His charisma and bravado must have seduced his comrades into following his guidance. Were they self loathing? Or just easily manipulated? It was obvious by the smell of him that Dawli was the youngest and least experienced of the trio. She didn't bother to look at him for too long, but something he said did have relevance.
"..the boy there is stronger than he looks, much stronger.. Michio can be pretty hard to kill."

..this boy..

What was he exactly? And from what pit did these Michio hail? She looked him over for a second. Zol's blood smelled older than the earth they trekked on, but he was the smallest of them all.
"Just what are we hunting out here anyway?"

"And while you're at, maybe you'd like to clarify how much we'd each be collectin' on this lil' trip."

He added, with as little tact as possible. Much to Aisha's visible dismay. She clearly wasn't comfortable with allowing Dawli to speak for her.

"Anyone who survives the voyage will be handsomely compensated, I assure you."

She answered apathetically..

"The creature has never been given a name, as it has never been seen by anyone who lived long enough to build a on study it."

..before turning around to walk into the woods, with or without her entourage of hunters. The moonlight seemed to dim the further the shadows stretched into the green, so with twirl of her hand Aisha created a controlled sphere of blue energy that doubled as a torch. She filed in behind Qarinah, followed by Dawli and anchored by Opa.

"..but I can warn you of it's abilities. As it isn't something brute strength alone will save you from."

She directed her advice at whoever could benefit the most. The whispers of the Maalukian Woods were as haunting as ever, and the fluttering drone of its many denizens magnified the deeper they traveled.

"Griots of my tribe have seen the monster you speak of. And if I'm correct, the creature has existed for hundreds of years. Feeding uncontested throughout these woods, using hymns to dilute the senses and--"

Aisha's voice was strong but her every word was chosen carefully and used with intention. It had a polar opposite effect than her leader's did.

"Oi, like one of them Sirens, right?"

But that didn't stop him from undermining her the first chance he got.

"Pfft, I've killed plenty of Sirens before. Hell, Opa here could probably do this one on his own, couldn't ya? He's barely got any senses left to fool."

Opa did not respond, Qarinah shook her head in subtle disappointment, and Aisha heaved another heavy sigh.

"Where I am from, it is called The Novik, little Michio. The Skin Snatcher."

Zolgarious Gilden
Drifter

"Where I am from, it is called The Novik, little Michio. The Skin Snatcher."
His eyes would widen as he stared up at Aisha. Meru was chilling on her shoulder, nestled under the fur around her neck. Meru was small enough to fit in a teacup. He and Zol were really two peas in a pod. Despite their smaller-than-average demeanor, they had the hunger pangs of titans. He often wondered if Meru would grow any at all. He couldn't explain it but he felt like there was something special about Meru. That like himself, most people assume that because he is small he is incapable. That because he does not tower over his foes, he can't beat them. Zol knew his truth though. He walked with the confidence of a goliath. For he had a point to prove, an oath to hold. That is what he saw in Meru. Perhaps not in the exact same sense as the case with Zol. Zol could feel the mana inside his friend and it was big...very big. He hoped to find out more about Meru's pieces. If there is or ever have been anything like him here.

"Wh-what Skin snatcher?"

He said trying to mask a slightly worried expression. Despite his own skin being hard as diamonds, he was unsure about an opponent that was known to snatch it? He pulled at the tie on his hoodie. His mind started pouring over the possible skill sets such a name could suggest.

"Novik? Just at a first guess it almost sounds like a parasite or something"

He said tugging his hood a little bit causing it to shrink smaller. He placed his hand under his chin as he further pondered. A siren? He thought to Dawli's bravado-soaked words earlier.

"Siren... it's unlikely though some kind of possible."

He said walking forward with eh rest of the gang. It was a proud moment for him. Zol had always been given oddball contracts that the lesser guild members were afforded but he always tackled them with 110% effort. That was what separated him from most. No matter how small or insurmountable the task. He would do his absolute best not to fail. After all, he was on a mission with some of Gilden Fang's best.

He would bring glory to the Michio name once again. He would remind this world why they once revered that name. Why there were known as the Great Protectors.

With that said he would go into his pack and pull out a bestiary that he had personally begun to scribe. It was partially started by an old man Zol me who had lost his leg on a hunt. The man was smitten with Zol ideal and passion around the ecosystem. He gave it to him as a gift and he’s been planting his own experiences within it. It mentioned sirens…

"Meaning that though Siren are typically known to be aquatic in nature who's to say the Novik is not some kind of variant...if not the origins of Sirens...there still so much about the world of monsters that we just don't know."

More to Q's earlier point. Prideful warrior often met their end without making sure to galvanized themselves with both the power to hunt but also the wisdom needed to make it out alive. This is why he had come. I order to protect the people of this world he needed to know what that world was. Everything, even the very landscape has been shaped, molded, and in many cases withered by time. To think...it had really been 10,000 years.

"Of course we can't rule out the possibility that it could even be some kind of shapeshifter or doubleganger..."

As a matter of fact.

"Aisha...how do your people know of a creature no one has lived to study?"

A genuine question of curiosity. Strange tracks, marking, bodies could all have lead to possible siting of the aftermath of the creatures hunt It was just also important for him to amass as much of an understanding as he could to better temper himself for this fight. Death could take any of them if either of them were careless.

Return to “Maaluukian Woods”