Day In Day Out

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Day In Day Out

Post by Shabuto Venkage »

Clink!

The metallic thud echoed in the space.

Clank!

Another swing of the hammer as it fell into the hunk of metal against the pitch black anvil. Several brawny mean littered a cluttered space that seemed to be some form of work shop. Different weapons laid hung in various spaces some serrate by type like swords, daggers, gauntlets and others by armor types. In the more detailed parts of the space in a little corner to the east of the room stood a young man much shorter than the other folks around him. His hands were full of various materials for crafting. Strips of leather, a couple iron ingots and a piece of light chest armor. He was clad in a tattered black shirt and some black wolf hide shorts. He donned a medallion on his person that reflected the burning gleam of fire from the forge. A Sapphire crystal. There was a small marking etched onto it. The form of a small tree. It held no roots only branches. No leaves.

"Grr What it will yah!"

He barked after being shoved over wile walking back to his work table. His was the most organized here. Though given such a small space his materials were categorized and alphabetized. The different animal hides were in one space. The metals and other minerals in another. Finished products laid under the table as finishing creations laid dangling above the table. He had to meet a certain quota today or he was going to have to here the old bastard mouth about how he was slacking today. Which he kind of was. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.

That dream again

In this dream he was standing at the edge of a cliff. The clouds were plump and the sun was dazzling. The winds wafted through the expanse giving him the feeling of being just as formless as it was. A breeze that seemed to carry the scent of lavender upon it. His eyes, they did not carry their normal burning red hue but yet a relaxed amber color. He...was smiling.

But...then

The skies would grow dark. The clouds would drizzle a eerier black droplets as the very sky became black. And from the darkness that forbade him from seeing his own hands in front of him. A pair of hatful, burning, swirling red eyes would erupt open from the darkness and a low horrid rumbling, something like a growl would vibrate the very air around him. It spoke no words but he could understand what it meant. The growl.

Remember the pact...Give your heart!/color]

???:Day dreaming again...eh Shabuto?

A raspy old voice would whisper behind him.
"I had forgotten...What the tone of liberty sounded like"

"To think the path to freedom. Would be soaked in blood"

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

Re: Day In Day Out

That voice belonged to none other than the second in command here. The one who answered and reported directly to the ring leader themselves. Vargas. Shabuto's face was befallen with grimace. This was the third time this week he was caught being stagnant and this time he knew the punishment would be much severe than the last. He shyly turned to face the man making sure not to make eye contact. His eyes focused on the big beefy feet of the man who stood 6'5 over him. A looming shadow. Despite his age his body was well kept and tones. He was at least 215 pounds of muscle.

"N-not at all sir. I was just catching my--"Shabuto

Before he could finish Vargas had sent his fist straight to Shabuto's gut causing him to kneel over in both shock and pain. He was breathless and could barely move his arms to cover the site of impact. He spit up a bit of blood. If he really wanted to he could've avoided the strike. He knew doing so would make it much worse. He learned...the last time. The blow put him on his knees. The other works covered in soot tended to their works still. They would avoid this treatment at all cost.

"Little fuck, didn't learn the other day didja?!"--Vargas

A hefty kick to his left side sent him drafting into the stone wall. His body limped over. His consciousness was tittering. He grabbed his right side cringing in pain. Dammit, if he could just get a decent nights sleep he wouldn't be in this mess. What was with that dream anyway? What pact? Fuck he might've just gotten a broken rib. The eye patch wearing goliath was covered head to to in a varying combination of tattoos and scars. Story was he was some big shot commander in a legendary mercenary band. One that had seen many different sides of war for over the stretch of 25 years. Based off the power of his strike. Shabuto was obliged to believe them.

"You are the property of the Nightmare Wolves. You exist solely to bring our ambitions to life. Repeat."--Vargas

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

His long somewhat speckled hair laid covering half his face. That last blow wiped him out but if he did not rise to repeat the directive. He might end up in a worse state than this...much worse. He'd grit his teeth almost drawing blood from the intensity. Trying to battle through the pain. He gripped his side hard. It made it hurt more but it gave him enough adrenaline to at least began speaking and moving.

"I-I am the pro-property of-"--Shabuto

He had begun attempting to stand on his feet. His rib was definitely fractured but judging from the fact that moving was easier than he thought it would be, it wasn't broken as he thought earlier. He was getting used to this...he was beyond sick of this. Vargas glared down on him with an wavering gaze of bliss. He enjoyed this, breaking spirits destroying independence. We, were to be a collective. Not a piece of singularity to be found. A living, breathing, fearing machine. He tightened his fist as if about to strike Shabuto again. The jolt of fear that ran through him caused his body to produce more energy. He ate through the pain in his side to meet Vargas with a straight posture. His blood trickling from his lip. His eyes were narrowed. They had began to glare red, the hue they adopted when he was under intense duress and highly emotional.

"The Night mare Wolves. I exist solely to bring life to the pack ambitions."--Shabuto

Vargas sneered this mut still had the guts to look at him with such a defiant glare? He would make sure with his next blow to install some extra discipline in it's programming.

"Pitiful"--Vargas

Vargas went in for a strong right hook Shabuto gripped in fear but never once stopped looking at Vargas. Right before the strike was about to collide with his jaw a sharp snapping sound was heard that echoed through the forge. It stopped Vargas in his tracks and caused a bead of sweat to manifest on his forehead. He knew that sound very well. They all did.

"Vargas...are you damaging my belongings?"--?

A low raspy sensual yet dominating tone was spoken. It commanded the absolute silence and obedience of every being here. The Leader of the Pack was here. Grixas; The Nether Fang. Vargas quickly retracted his fist as it now laid under his heart. He turned from Shabuto in an about face manner bowing before Grixas. Grixas, a man of terrible power. Evil, depraved and the living embodiment of greed. He cares nothing for anything that can not be made profitable and treats it accordingly. However he does not tolerate the damaging of what belongs to him.

"Sir. This createn was caught slacking. My actions were in order to preserve order."

Grixas's eyes did not move. He didn't even look at Vargas only keeping eyes on Shabuto who had been bowing as well. His sept laid in his right hand. A solid black obsidian cane. Said to contain the magic of a ancient witch he claimed the lucid south as her home.

"Oh? Who's Order would that be....Vargas?"--Grixas

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

The First Fang of the Nightmare's Wolves. Grixas The Nether Fang. This was only the second time Shabuto had seen him in the three years he lived under his ownership. The first being when the village traded Shabuto in the place of a pure bred Venkage girl and even then he didn't see his. Grixas was told of Shabuto ability. The power to Enfold. A power that manifested but 4 years ago when he unlocked his arbiter. A moment he would never forget. Shabuto peered over through a messy lock of hair falling in front of him. He'd never seen Vargas sweat this much. There was a complete and total silence over the forge. Was this man really so terrifying? Was his captors really so powerful and if so....Did he really have any chance of being free like in his dream? Just how the hell would he contend with someone who commanded a room this way simply by entering it. He almost couldn't contain the despair that began flush itself through him. Vargas looked to The Nether Fang with a concerned look.

"Consumer of the Vast, Conqueror of the many. He who advises death. Your order; The flagrant will of Grixas The Nether Fang. Pack Leader of the Nightmare Wolves."--Vargas

A supercilious smirk etched on his face before he took a step seeming to phase out of sight appearing right in front of both Vargas and Shabuto.

"Very good. I thought you might've forgotten..."-- Grixas

He said placing his hand slowly towards Vargas who was shitting bricks at this point. He was seldom trying to let it show the immense sense of dread overcoming him. Was he about too kill a member of his chain of command? Were the links that replaceable to him?

" The thumb that presses your back."--Grixas

He said as he gently patted Vargas on the back. Nothing happened though, that fear was enough. It was always enough. He turned his back to Vargas now standing directly in front of Shabuto.

"You...You may gaze upon me"

Shabuto body froze. It was as if he'd spoken a curse that took hold of Shabuto's very body. This was no spell though. It was the pure sensation of dread and authority. He had to obey, to follow directive. He could not chance angering such a man. But when he finally looked up. He wasn't even sure that a man described what he was looking at. When he looked up the stillness in his body changed to a immensely deep feeling like falling. It was as if he soul had left his body. His eyes were a piercing white that seemed to cut through the darkness of the soul. It was as if he could see you, all...of you. With a gaze that borrowed the overwhelming difference in your existences. A chasm of what seemed to be infinite. It's hard not to loose yourself in the space.

"Do not loose yourself in the void. Relinquish any hopes you have of closing the gap. It is a hole that cannot be filled."--Grixas

His words took root inside Shabuto heart. His vibrant red glare as faded back to its original amber hue. His eyes widened. This person. He was like a living shade. Darkness like essence flowed in and our of him. He was like a living shade. An endless catalyst of black. So young. He looked to be no older than Shabuto himself but the immense void between them. He...

Grixas

He was never getting out of here.

"You've seem to now understand. You've something to say? I will permit one question."--Grixas

Shabuto resolve had been shattered. Whatever iota of a defiant spirt he was accumulating was washed away with that one look. Within him a change was occurring. A surrendering of his fate. He was tired of fighting, tired of getting beaten. It wasn't like the life he lead before coming here was any greater. But after meeting this man and accepting his reality. This one question was going to shape how he moved forward from now on.

"I am the property of the Nightmare Wolves. My sole purpose is to fulfil the packs ambitions."--Shabuto

He repeated the law that had been drilled into him morning noon and night. Something he rarely even challenged honestly up until this point with Vargas. He said with his eyes still laid connected to the Alpha. A face of inquiry, he truly wanted to know...what destiny he was now enslaved to.

"W-what are the packs ambitions? Your ambitions sir"--Shabuto

And for the first time ever Grixas actually chuckled in front of his pack.

Yes...you'll do nicely

"Money, War, Death. It is my destiny...to possess everything of value in this world...in all worlds."--Grixas

Shabuto Venkage
Drifter

His eyes stayed glued to Grixas's gaze. it was as if he was trapped in a reality loop. Traveling the void within. The truth of his world. One where he would be the property of someone as grand and powerful as Grixas. It was also at this very moment that he understood something else. There was an old hermit that stayed between the border of the native Venkage Isle. He would often be the only person Shabuto would even speak to or better yet that would speak to him. He told him one day after Shabuto had gotten his ass handed to him for stealing food and hygiene supplies and laid bruised and defeated on the hermits door. That "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." For years despite the horrific life he had lead and the chained captivity he now lived, he held fast to the belief that one day he would be able to muster up the courage to change his fate. To escape his destiny and forge his own path. A path of true independence to where he would belong to none other than himself.

But that was all over now...

He now standing here before a being that could speak such a desire. To possess all he wishes, and actually have the ability to do so. It was power that shaped the world around us. It was power that created change and without it, he was just another cog in the machine. He also understood one other thing however as well. That he was somehow pivotal to the nether fangs ambition. He was afforded some perks that others where not and believe it or not Vargas didn't assaults' him on the regular as harshly as today. His blood. It was worth something. That would be his means then. In order to gain the power he needed.

He would submit to this fate. He would release ownership over his humanity. From this day forward he was ready to do whatever was needed of him to obtain the power that had made him feel so small.

"Most venerable Lord Grixas. Should you need a blade I will be it. Should you need a shield call me. Fashion me as you see fit."--Shabuto

Grixas glared the entire time. His eyes trained on Shabuto as he made this declaration. He loved it when someone submits to his will. Yet another treasure . He wondered though. Just how valuable this one would prove to be. Words mean nothing. There would be action to prove worth.

Hm...Is that so?--Grixas

Grixas turned away from Shabuto. He could sense it. The lust for power welling inside Shabuto. However there was no malicious intent. no blood lust. He could tell that Shabuto was not seeking to usurp him. Of course not, the boy had learned how foolish that would be. Grixas would snap his finger and the two men serving as his personal guard would rush over with his hat and leather jacket.

Vargas...--Grixas

He said as he placed one arm into his jacket.

"Sir?"--Vargas

That one is ready...--Grixas

Vargas jumped up. Shabuto kept gazing at Grixas as he began to make an exit placing his hat on his head.

"You wish to be a blade? A shield? With a will as fragile as you own? You must be forged...tempered...used. I'll not have an crumbling armory....War will mold you. Lets see how you still feel about those words of yours after..."--Grixas

W-war? He means...to the front lines?

He worriedly thought. Fuck why'd he'd have to go and get all poetic. He meant that he would forge whatever was needed it didn't dawn on him this would be the response. He peered over to Vargas who had just the knurliest smile. He knew exactly what this meant. Shabuto as about to get the wake up call of the century.

Grixas would leave the place. For but a single moment the tension in the very air lifted. Until Shabuto was met with the hungry stare from Vargas.

"You know what this means now? The boss got his eyes on you...you just stepped into hell buddy."

He released a mighty laugh but no one joined him. They knew what Shabuto was about to experience. They had heard horror stories of those who are sent to the front lines. Barely any every make it back alive and the ones that do... are changed forever. None have kept their sanity...

Return to “The Market Square”