Everglow: Interlude

These are areas outside of the realms of the Alliance. Venture out into Vescrutia's open world and explore. Go anywhere and show us a side of Vescrutia that might not have been discovered yet.
Fate II
Drifter

Everglow: Interlude

Post by Fate II »

Departing from the Janus Chamber and making their way across the common area should have caught them the gaze of ire from the people who revered Lambda and reviled Zero, but the streets were calm. It was getting dark, evening rolling in and with it a cool breeze to break the intense sunlight that razed the isolated oasis. The residents were retiring to their homes for the evening, just as David, Lana, Veronica and Bo were headed toward the cozy accommodations Lambda prepared for them.

David and Lana's demeanors were decidedly different from within the chamber. They both kept the conversation light, David especially enjoying the ease in tension. Lana was a wildcard, sometimes her anger would send her off in a random direction to scorn the object of her discontent, David's cool calm attitude mellowed her roiling emotions and together, they were a team whose energy was very missed back at Cold Frontier. Veronica admired the pair from a distance, walking alongside Bo just outside of earshot of them. They were all newly introduced and she had no other connection with them than being invited here by Lambda, but they intrigued her just as much as the Janus Chamber did. Where the members of Diamond Dust had a close connection to Zero it seemed, Veronica's expertise was in ancient artifacts and recovering them. She was an anthropologist from the Kingdom of Loire, a realm known worldwide for the rich ruins that cover the area. She cut her teeth as an Anthropologist there as the first individual to piece together some of the most obscure texts from a previous age, earning her a prestigious position among the other bounty hunters invited to the place.

Uran was fairly remote, a secluded area in the middle of a desert sporting enough water and foliage to sustain a sizeable community within it. The people lived there for generations, thankful for the rainy season and its ability to provide for them for so long until the next one. That thankfulness to the powers that be is what made them amazingly gracious hosts and vehement foes for those who disrespected that generosity. The invitation extended to "bounty hunters" as Lambda described them, were received by some of the best in their fields and Bo, a newcomer out of nowhere. The whole situation was kooky, and it just tickled Veronica. Her work with ancient texts and metaphors led her to believe that this was an auspicious meeting for everyone involved.

"So!," Veronica spoke up, mostly to try to keep up with David and Lana, who seemed to be locked in their own intense conversation with someone. "What would you all like to do for dinner? It's been quite a day, I'm sure we could use a... good..."

Landa and David kept walking, engrossed by their own conversation. Veronica slowed down as they approached the door to the inn, letting them go in before her before turning to Bo.

"They seem very determined, yes?"

The relationship between Zero and Lana and David seemed strained like a relationship between old friends, frustrated that one couldn't break old habits that has gotten them dragged out of similar sticky situations before. Veronica couldn't make any sense of it though, not if they kept ignoring her.

Dalazar Denkou
Drifter

Re: Everglow: Interlude

Post by Dalazar Denkou »

"They seem very determined, yes?"
Bo's eye scarcely left Zero. Perhaps he was the most naieve here, actually, he could confer that he was indeed the most inexperienced one there in a myriad of ways. However, something in his core refused to believe that Zero was some kind of malignant virus going around ruining societies. These folks around him seemed to have long-term relationships with him in ways that Bo still hadn't the slightest clue of. Were they all a part of some initiative? A group of some kind? As everything had been slowly revealed he wouldn't be surprised if Zero was a former pirate...or current? His mother always warned him of just walking off with strange men.

"Indeed, to what end though remains yet to be seen."

He said with a casually intrigued tone. He learned a little while ago that his opinion in the current scheme of things seemed to matter little. Whatever was at play seemed so much larger than he. Still in the back of his mind was the feeling that he felt when he first entered Uran. It wasn't just the familiar atmosphere that reminded him of home. There was still that voice he heard.
"3rd born star etched into the tapestry of the cosmos. Basin of the Emerald Ocean. Weaver of the Beryl Sun."
The Emerald Ocean, he was sure to have heard that phrasing before. The Emerald King's very existence was like that of a prophecy having many monikers and metaphors that described his brilliance and the vastness that was just the concept of his existence alone. Now that he thought about it...his father once explained the very title to him.

*Flashback*

Young Dazuma: Father, I get why the Emerald King is called the Hand of the Asharin. But what does it mean to be the Emerald Ocean? Aren't your powers lightning, not water?

Said a young lad no older than the inquisitive age of 5. Out of the three princes, the third born and the King shared the closest bond. standing beside him was a tower of a man reaching well into 7ft tall. Though slender for his height his body was poised and well-trained with a statuesque musculature. His eyes hummed with a soft yet powerful aura as he looked down to his son. The boy born with practically no magic power. His gaze was firm for but a moment before it softened after looking at his son's smiling face.

"When legend gives way to praise of the Emerald King's power it is often referred to as The Emerald Ocean. An attempt to give some kind of scale to the power that to this day has known few limits. His influence as wide as the horizon his might as deep as the ocean a bottom yet to be found."

Dazuma's eyes were lit with glee and amazement. Such a man was his father? The blood of a king ran through his veins. He just knew that one day his power would also awaken.

"That's so cool father! Can I become the Emerald Ocean? Is it possible for someone like me?"

His light dimmed a bit. Though the young lord held fast to the hope that one day his magic would manifest, there was still a piece of him that lamented not having very much magical might compared to his brethren even just the other noble houses in general. Dracovis's eyes glimmered in not pity but he did feel for his son. While in the Denkou kingdom magic power did not always determine everything a person was worth to the kingdom itself. It could not be said that its very structure and even leadership did not generally revolve around how powerful a hold of magic one had. To be in the house of Ri'ore already viewed as a threat because of his taboo birth, now to belong to such a house with no magical prowess. The burden his son must have felt. Dracovis would kneel before his son his hand firmly on his shoulder.

"The Emerald Ocean is a double entendre, it has two meanings. The one I just shared is the general knowledge. The other half is something that only one fated to walk the path of a true king can understand. Being king means shouldering the grief of your entire nation. Not just their grief, but their dreams, hopes, goals ambitions. Their fears and their anxieties. The title "Emerald Ocean" speaks also to the insurmountable weight that rests on the king's shoulders. Being a King let alone the Emerald King means more than just wielding power my son. To be a true king means to be an impeccable listener."

His eyes did not blink.

"Can you do this? Could you hold the weight of the entire kingdom on your back?"

Dazuma's eyes shifted with a moment of self-doubt. He wondered if something like that was within his ability to do. Then he looked to the mark of his clan stitched into his scarf, grabbed it tightly, and looked back at his father.

"I know not many people believe in me because I'm not as strong as my brothers. Myos is set to be the next to take the throne and Nazuma is already gaining fast with his powers."

He said gripping his scarf tighter

"B-but I am very good at helping people. I like to read and learn and heal so I know there is always something that I can do to make life easier in the kingdom. Mom, grandad, Evant, and Auntie Eme all said they believed in me too. So long as I have that...people who believe in me, father."

For the faintest moment, a slight green flare ignited in Dazuma's eyes

"I will not fail, I can also be king!"

Dracovi's eyes watered slightly overwhelmed with emotions at his son's dedication and bravery. He noticed the faint trace of magic and knew now there could be no doubt. His face and voice were filled with pride

"I believe in you my little Bo. Future Emerald King, the basin of the Emerald Ocean"

*present day"

Bo found himself snapping back to reality holding his scarf in the same way as the vision he had. His body was soon engulfed in this warm butterflies in the stomach feeling. Thinking of the grounding memories of the time when his father made him feel like he could do anything. Oh, how he missed him. Uran often made him think of the home his father built and the peace he was responsible for. Now his elder brother saught to crumble it all and rebuild the Denkou in his image. Cruel ruthless tyrants dedicated to domination and destruction.

"Father...are you trying to tell me something?"

He thought to himself. Why would he remember such a thing now?

"Right my mission... I must find the secret to the Beryl Sun. Doing so will unlock the truth behind how the Emerald King came to be... the font of our nations might."

"Veronica, have you ever heard of the term Beryl Sun?"

She seemed to have scoured the world over in search of Vescrutian secrets. Perhaps she might've heard of it.

Fate II
Drifter

Post by Fate II »

“The Beryl Sun?”

Veronica pursed her lips while scouring her memory banks for any mention of the Beryl Sun in her travels or studies. Her position as the chief Anthropologist for the Val Loire, of the Loire Kingdom brought her to many remote and intimate corners of Vescrutia in search of lost knowledge on her own kingdom. Though nothing readily came to mind in a profound sense, she did remember coming across a few passages in her time.

“I don’t think I have any particular knowledge about the Beryl Sun other than in some texts on the continent of Madeira.There is this tapestry I stumbled on somewhere about the western stretches of the continent. It looked like a normal flag to me at first glance, but there were these three distinct patterns they used to describe some particular panels on the tapestry and they all kind of blended in the center. I’d have to go over my notes to get you a better idea, but if we’re going to be here a while it shouldn’t be too har—”

Bo and Veronica walked into the lodge following David, Lana, and the ensnared Zero. As the inside of the building opened up into a cozy atrium with flowing water and pristine pools dotted with relaxed patrons enjoying each others’ company. When they passed the threshold, David seemed to move something into his pocket that caught Veronica’s eye. She stumbled through her recollecting on the Beryl Sun and rubbed her eyes to make sure she adjusted to the bright, marble indoors with silver adornments, but in that moment she refocused and David and Lambda stopped right in front of Bo and Veronica.

“Oh boy! We can be all types of soup in here,” David said, marveling at the waterfalls and basins shining with crystal clear waters, the people in the hot or cool pools breathing in deeply the relaxation. He sure would hate to disturb them with the image of their most wanted criminal, so he didn’t. Lana sighed and walked off, waving a tired hand as she headed straight to her room.

“I’m outta here. See y’all later.”

David stuck around with Veronica and Bo, already sliding his top layer of clothing off and getting it into his satchel. He was determined to get into the pools whether anyone wanted to join him or not.

“I’ve heard of the Beryl Sun once, but it was a really long time ago. Something about some Elemental Fae and the fate of a human host. I think the story is like, the Fae tried to possess some guy but he wound up possessing them back. Wild stuff, I wish I remembered a little better.”

David was moving over to a hot spring, foot almost halfway submerged before his first sentence was finished. You could tell he really wanted to relax, the stress melting out of his tightly wound body as he steeped himself in the warm water. He didn’t break eye contact with Veronica or Bo, inviting them to continue talking without missing a beat. He lightened the load and started to kick his feet up, toes dancing just barely above the water’s surface.

Veronica peered at him with daggered eyes. She wasn’t sure what just happened, but was unsure why she felt on edge and couldn’t care less about him stripping to near naked right in front of them. But comparing notes on the Beryl Sun might be fun, even if she felt like she was missing something.

Dalazar Denkou
Drifter

Post by Dalazar Denkou »

“I don’t think I have any particular knowledge about the Beryl Sun other than in some texts on the continent of Madeira. There is this tapestry I stumbled on somewhere about the western stretches of the continent. It looked like a normal flag to me at first glance, but there were these three distinct patterns they used to describe some particular panels on the tapestry and they all kind of blended in the center. I’d have to go over my notes to get you a better idea, but if we’re going to be here a while it shouldn’t be too har—”
Madeira, the continent home to the Jaida coast one of the few such places where Evls have learned to live in understanding with humans. Though he wouldn't go so far as to surmise they were friends hence the term understanding. After several small skirmishes and one with the Atlanteans so fierce the Gafren and Titans almost stepped in, the whole of them created a peace treaty and agreement. That for as long as all respected the borders and did not seek sole dominion over the coast war would not be waged and peace would be the goal. A solid agreeance for the Denkou never held aspirations of expanding merely maintaining and evolving their space. Over time that hostile peace simmered into an uneasy alliance. Should the coast ever face a danger that reaches the borders of the Denkou domain they would act with full force to help protect The Emerald Ascension and by extension the Jaida coast.

"A tapestry?

His inquisitive nature had already begun clamoring for more. Just the fact that she heard even echoes of the phrase filled his body with adrenaline. He had to contain his excitement and not begin burrowing her with questions. Where did she see it... if she could at all recount in greater detail his mind could allow him to potentially bring the clouded pieces together. He needed more.
“Oh boy! We can be all types of soup in here,” David said, marveling at the waterfalls and basins shining with crystal clear waters, the people in the hot or cool pools breathing in deeply the relaxation. He sure would hate to disturb them with the image of their most wanted criminal, so he didn’t. Lana sighed and walked off, waving a tired hand as she headed straight to her room.

“I’m outta here. See y’all later.”

David stuck around with Veronica and Bo, already sliding his top layer of clothing off and getting it into his satchel. He was determined to get into the pools whether anyone wanted to join him or not.
This was his very reason for following Zero into the mouth of the Ant Lion. As the scenery shifted from the evening sky to bright marble his eyes were unaffected. His gaze was sternly on the ground his thumb gingerly on his bottom lip. Despite David's rather impressive physique once Dazuma's scholarly engine started running he would not be deterred. As great as the opportunity to dive with Dave seemed. Veronica could very well hold the key to the future of his entire civilization. Even if she had no idea the role she played in it either it's rise or fall.
“I’ve heard of the Beryl Sun once, but it was a really long time ago. Something about some Elemental Fae and the fate of a human host. I think the story is like, the Fae tried to possess some guy but he wound up possessing them back. Wild stuff, I wish I remembered a little better.”
"..."

He felt a tightness in his chest. An Elemental Fae tried to possess someone? The person ended up possessing them instead? If this was correct...it would mean that what the Denkou have been taught about their rise to power...could have very well been a lie. He didn't know what he should do next.

" We are taught that the powers of the Emerald King were blessed to us. A gift for the courage to travel the mother in search of a home. For all the years we went without one. Could this...Fae be referencing the Djynn of legend? If so then it is still in alignment with what I know. But the way she expressed it. It sounded like the Fae had aggressive intentions.

He could be jumping the gun a bit. Language was as plentiful as the stars in the sky. Many words often were used to define a multitude of things. Possession did not mean force, not especially. When he thought about it a bit more deeply the original text of his homeland used the term "merging" suggesting a fusion-like process. Could it be an oversight, or something more intentional?

" That fae is known as the Asharin. A Djynn Of Lightning"

He said softly to her after taking a breath. Regaining his composure. His next words were more

"I get the feeling, Veronica, that we could have quite the conversation. Wanna ditch them till dinner time?"

Zero and Lana were already moving a different route to avoid alarming the locals. David himself was in the springs. Seemed a better time than any.

Fate II
Drifter

Post by Fate II »

Veronica and David shared a prolonged gaze, both unflinching in their focus, brandishing smiles that could cool a torch. David was just looking to relax now that they had Zero in custody, it was hard enough to find him in the first place and keeping him in one spot was also a challenge in and of itself. Veronica recognized the care with which they treated him, in spite of his persecution. It piqued her curiosity.

“Let’s ditch, indeed!”

Veronica turned sharply away from David and scooted Bo along with her, heading straight over to the front desk a ways off into the establishment. David waved lazily as she walked away, relieved to be able to relax for a moment. His and Lana’s journey to Uran wasn’t without its own perils, and he enjoyed a good recovery period. These springs were a godsend, a much needed reprieve from the stress that followed them all the way from the Tarkan Plains. With her dismissing him, David settled into the steamy pool.

“Where do we go from here? We could go to the bar or see what our rooms look like.”

Toward the end of their conversation with Lambda, her stamina depleted and she whisked away before revealing many details to their lodging. Veronica was following David and Lana’s lead as they arrived sooner than she did and were already talking to Lambda when the Diamond Dust members joined the scene. As her guests, the lodge should be able to help them out.

“Welcome to The Mirage, how can I help you?” The person behind the counter spoke up well before Veronica and Bo approached, almost raising her hand and waving them over to her. Veronica’s attention was caught, but she worried that they looked lost or out of place whit how far off the woman flagged them down from. They approached and the woman seemed relieved form to finally have approached her, giving her some much sought out attention. Maybe she was bored, eagerly awaiting the next check in to break up what Veronica imagined could be a pretty boring job if everyone who came to the place was as gracious as the people they met out in the market earlier. Veronica obliged the receptionist’s kindness and walker Bo and herself to the counter where the woman’s smile stretched ear to ear while her eyes gave both Veronica and Bo a solid two-second once over. “You seem to be a bit lost, can I help you with anything?”

“I think we’re looking for some rooms reserved by the Urani Historical Society?” Veronica said, wondering why she seemed so joyful.

“Ooooooh, you’re guests of Miss Lambda’s. I’ve got the perfect room for you two lovebirds,” the receptionist said as she reached directly beneath the counter in front of her and produced two tall flutes of sparkling wine. She slid them right across into Veronica’s hands, nodding eagerly to get the snatched up. Veronica took one of the glasses and handed Bo the other, pausing to appreciate the uncanny mistake.

“Cheers?’

Dalazar Denkou
Drifter

Post by Dalazar Denkou »

“Let’s ditch, indeed!”

Veronica turned sharply away from David and scooted Bo along with her, heading straight over to the front desk a ways off into the establishment. David waved lazily as she walked away, relieved to be able to relax for a moment.
She hurriedly scooted them along excitement bullying her. It was a bit infectious he couldn't help but crack a nervous smile. Veronica had a personality type that for Bo betrayed her scholarly prowess. Most of the bookworms he knew were prunes set in their ways. Veronica's can-do whimsical demeanor was refreshing.
“Where do we go from here? We could go to the bar or see what our rooms look like.”
Hmm, now that was a thought. Bo wasn't sure what the customs for Urani were but back home it was not customary for teenagers to drink before their 18th birthday. Bo had never tasted alcohol before and a part of him felt like even here at 16 he could get away with sneaking an early manhood sip of something. Then he thought to himself how incredibly winded from this whole ordeal he was. The time he spent with the older gentleman earlier who gave him the sandy display of Urani history was about as much rest as he had this entire journey. From start to finish the trek had been nonstop filled with anxiety-boosting encounters namely a trial.

"Actua- I"
“Welcome to The Mirage, how can I help you?” The person behind the counter spoke up well before Veronica and Bo approached, almost raising her hand and waving them over to her. Veronica’s attention was caught, but she worried that they looked lost or out of place whit how far off the woman flagged them down from. They approached and the woman seemed relieved form to finally have approached her, giving her some much sought out attention. Maybe she was bored, eagerly awaiting the next check in to break up what Veronica imagined could be a pretty boring job if everyone who came to the place was as gracious as the people they met out in the market earlier. Veronica obliged the receptionist’s kindness and walker Bo and herself to the counter where the woman’s smile stretched ear to ear while her eyes gave both Veronica and Bo a solid two-second once over. “You seem to be a bit lost, can I help you with anything?
Before he knew it they were speaking with a woman who worked here. As Veronic inquired about the rooms Bo's gaze continued to roll over the aesthetic of this place. Uran truly had some gorgeous architecture.
“Ooooooh, you’re guests of Miss Lambda’s. I’ve got the perfect room for you two lovebirds,” the receptionist said as she reached directly beneath the counter in front of her and produced two tall flutes of sparkling wine. She slid them right across into Veronica’s hands, nodding eagerly to get the snatched up. Veronica took one of the glasses and handed Bo the other, pausing to appreciate the uncanny mistake.
* A loud clearing of his through in shock*

L-Love birds?

" Oh no you see I barely know-"

In a swift motion, Veronica had already slid him a glass of wine. It fizzled slightly bubbling up towards the brim of the glass. Though he was hesitant at first it seemed like those rules didn't apply here in Uran. With a nervous and slightly confused sigh, Bo gave up. He picked up his glass and clanked it against Vernoci's

"Cheers...to us?"

He said jovially. The die had already been cast might as well roll with the result. He would take a modest sip of the wine. It was crisp, and smooth with a slightly bitter taste sending a slight shiver down his spine. This was alcohol? It was a bit bitter. His aunt loved the stuff. He still wasn't too sold on why.

"To answer your earlier question though. I'd love to see what the rooms are like. It's been a long and arduous journey."

Fate II
Drifter

Post by Fate II »

Veronica clinked her glass with Bo’s and took a sip of the bubbly beverage, smacking her lips softly.

“Mmm, tasty.”

The receptionist’s eyes narrowed as she watched Bo and Veronica enjoy their welcome package.

“Oh, I see you’re in separate rooms, 403 and 404. I’ll grab those keys for you and you can take the stairs to your right.”

The receptionist motioned to the stairwell with a coy smile and walked them over, stopping just short of the first landing. She gave a slight bow and kept eye contact with Bo while she almost whispered, “Enjoy your stay and let us know when you’re crying for help.”

“Umm, okay. Crying might be a bit dramatic, but we’ll let you know.” Veronica chuckled off the receptionist’s poor choice of words and invited Bo up the stairs with her. It was about time they could relax after the harrowing trial of Zero earlier.

He and Lana seemed to just disappear into the building once they arrived, she assumed to get away from the prying eyes of the public and to make some sense of the depth of anger she felt for the man. Veronica couldn’t remember a time when she was ever that angry at anyone, so they had to have some very deep history together, something good to find some closure on before he gets locked in some mystic jail to rot. But she didn’t walk up with him in hand. It was almost like they entered the inn and Lana left by herself. Strange…

“So, tell me about the Asharin, I was happy to shed some light, even if I don’t know the… Illumination.”

By the time they were made it to the first floor, Lana took the biggest yawn she’d experienced since her all nighter studying for this trip.

“Oh boy, I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me. But yeah, the Asharin.”

She took another sip of her drink to keep herself refreshed and hydrated, but as she took another sip, she’d feel even sleepier making it up to the second floor. Bo would feel the same drag come over him, making his body heavier, more sluggish and just straight up sleepy.

Dalazar Denkou
Drifter

Post by Dalazar Denkou »

After receiving their card keys Bo's felt a slowly encroaching dragging sensation creep into his body. He must have been far more exhausted than he first believed. It was a good call that he chose to see what their rooms were like instead of going to the bar.
The receptionist motioned to the stairwell with a coy smile and walked them over, stopping just short of the first landing. She gave a slight bow and kept eye contact with Bo while she almost whispered, “Enjoy your stay, and let us know when you’re crying for help.”

"That w-was a bit strange right?"

He said though his words were a bit delayed. Alarming to say the least Bo was a very poised and articulate speaker. He didn't fumble over his speech really at all. His body was steadily becoming heavier like he didn't have the strength to support his own weight. Was this intoxication? Is this strong from one sip? It must've been some powerful wine. Needless to say, he didn't like the feeling, at all.
“So, tell me about the Asharin, I was happy to shed some light, even if I don’t know the… Illumination.”

By the time they made it to the first floor, Lana took the biggest yawn she’d experienced since her all-nighter studying for this trip.

“Oh boy, I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me. But yeah, the Asharin.”
"R-right, well. The..Arashin is a fae...of. Wait Veronica...are you ok"

He noticed her stumbling as they reached the second floor. She looked like she was about to trip going up the steps and Bo used his sluggish body to support her dropping his glass in the process.

"Some...something is wrong"
“Enjoy your stay and let us know when you’re crying for help.”
Could she have spiked their drinks? Why? Uran had been nothing but hospitable to them since arriving why would they be targeted now? Where had Lana gone with Zero? Bo yawned deeply struggling to hold himself and Veronica. Veronica did not hesitate to drink, Bo could assume this was not new possibly not enough to have her as drowsy as she was. Could...could they have been drugged?

"Whatever is happening right now...if we both pass out we'll be at the mercy of whoever is behind this..."

As his consciousness wained his anxiousness rose, sending tremors of adrenaline through his body a faint symbol manifested on his forehead as a glimmering gel-like light began to saturate his body. Light magic, ancient origins steeming directly from his birthright. The Favor Of Rai began coursing through his body revitalizing and working against whatever drug was intoxicating his body. Within seconds he felt the effects start to take root alleviating some of the drowsiness. However, this magic typically required diligent preparation using it so abruptly reduced its effectiveness. His first love was healing magic so he had enough control to wield it for himself despite lacking the proper preparation. He wished to use it on Veronica who was slumping even faster than he. But as he was right now he could barely manage his own body dealing with the intense drowsiness. He grabbed her arm dropping it over his shoulder. The effects of the drug still had a hold on him but he could at least manage to walk stable more so than she at least. Where was David? Should he go back and try to find him?

"Veronica? Are you still with me? Stay with me!"

His breathes ragged

"W-what should I do... What can I do?

Before he could even think about the answer his mind bellowed as loud as he could to the only other person in this realm who could hear him right now.

"ZERO!!"

He didn't hold out much hope though. Even if Zero could hear his telepathic message, the last Bo saw of him he was still shackled. Bo was panicking. He had to focus on getting himself more stable, should the need to defend himself and Vernoic arise...and from the looks of things. It would.

Zero Venkage
Drifter

Post by Zero Venkage »

It was nice being carried for once, it let him get some much needed rest outside of the suspended animation Lambda snatched him up in. Up until that point, he had managed to slip through those glimmering rays all the way out into the desert and back over the Ganjun Wastes. Child’s play compared to getting blasted by one full force.

He played nicely with Lana and David as well, seeing them without Fenri leading the charge let them catch up while they interred him. Their casual conversation also gave him the chance to marvel and David’s craftsmanship. They matched the cuffs Bo slapped on him when they arrived in Uran, only appearing more developed, higher quality, and a faintly different grain pattern that was familiar, but still unknown. Looked like something Zero would have made himself. Looking up at it from the inside of the bottle at Lana’s hip, Zero appreciated being in good company again, even if the steps up to their fourth floor accommodations jostled him around a bit. The gentle rocking reminded him of the high seas of Vescrutia, terrorizing terrorists and traffickers and plundering their wares, exploring with Leviathan Order and building their horde and arsenal. Although he retained most of his collection back at home on the Jaida Coast, the Leviathan Order was no more, a sobering memory against the backdrop of what he thought was a pleasant reunion, given the circumstances.

This chance to reflect also made him more appreciative of the amends he meant to make with Uran and Lambda. He spent the better part of a decade learning to be a better, more productive member of society without actually doing any jail time. All the lying, deceiving, cheating, and stealing he committed bundled in any transitive guilt he felt melted away when he found himself back on the trail of a new lead, he just changed course and left those feelings behind him. Being forced to come to terms with them during his training in the Way of the Arbiter, and learning to work in harmony to repair the relationship with the Atlanteans and the Jaida Coast really put into perspective that there existed somewhere consequences for his actions. But with consequences came the chance to gain retribution, as long as he could weather them and make amends properly. The grain of the prison glass reflected enough to let him examine his actual reflection, and her chuckled at the irony as they crested the final step into the fourth floor hallway.

The sandstone architecture was lined with a scarlet red carpet with golden embroidered trim that Zero remembered well, it was almost his favorite part, the lush fabric on his tired toes did his body good the last time he visited.

Just as his mind started to wander, imagining the lush interior he wouldn’t be able to actually enjoy from the inside of a bottle, a figure stood at the opposite end of the hallway cloaked in black. The soft light of the lodge hid their face completely from sight and they stood directly in front of one of the doors. Zero couldn’t tell from inside the bottle if it was friend or foe, but they looked at least a bit familiar. Something about their cloak rang a bell, just another nod to days long passed.
Dalazar Denkou wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:54 pm
Before he could even think about the answer his mind bellowed as loud as he could to the only other person in this realm who could hear him right now.

"ZERO!!"

He didn't hold out much hope though. Even if Zero could hear his telepathic message, the last Bo saw of him he was still shackled. Bo was panicking. He had to focus on getting himself more stable, should the need to defend himself and Vernoic arise...and from the looks of things. It would.
What Zero heard was nothing but a faint whisper. The same glassy material that was able to keep under lock and key also prevented any energies from penetrating it, and it cut him off from Bo completely. As a prisoner, he went where his captors went and they seemed to mean to isolate him for the evening, they didn’t even let Bo talk to him before they get here.

”Hmmm… Weird. Lana, you know that guy?”

It definitely wasn’t Bo waiting at the end of the hall, it had to be someone else and they looked like they were expecting someone. That realization and the strange sound from before made Zero a little bit worried, unfortunately with little recourse from the inside of a bottle.

Fate II
Drifter

Post by Fate II »

From the other side of the lobby, soaking in his lovely smelling bath, David watched with bated breath the drink exchange. Neither he nor Lana were offered drinks when they arrived and upon a slightly closer inspection, the crowd was speckled with familiar faces. Not members of Diamond Dust, but a select cast of infamous faces that Fenri informed them would probably be in attendance.

The Gemini Triplets were the first to catch his eye, he couldn’t miss their matching uniforms and bratty behavior, getting rowdy with one another in a further away pool. They played well with others, civilians, and were known as some of the best trackers and hunters to come out of the Marches Islands. According to his mental notes, they were known for recon, recovery, and restraint, unlikely to cause much of a fuss aside from their young age clouding their otherwise mature judgment. They didn’t look to be up to no good.

In a corner on the opposite end of the room, a pair of people engaged in a lovely dinner, the smell of which managed to pervade the room even in the midst of the water vapor and natural pheromones. The Arceneauxs, envy of every couple in Rahk City. Not only were they soulmates, paired perfectly in every from head to toe to one another, but they also owned the weapons corporation that funded Rahk City’s economy. They might as well be royalty how they run their company and city. The highly sophisticated technology the Arcenaux Corporation grew wealth from more than likely placed detailed surveillance on the hotel, regardless of why they were here. ANother very capable set of individuals with motive for being present in this particular moment in time, but not necessarily hostile. Just capable of becoming very hostile. As they meandered through their dinner, they occasionally made eye contact with David, confidently holding it and even greeting him quietly with a wave from the Mrs.

Neither of those groups worried him, but the Roman he saw behind the counter serving Bo and Veronica sent a chill down his spine. Her dagger-like eyes, dark hair and sinister grin spelled trouble if she was who she resembled. She and another individual, just as dark and sinister looking and twice as sadistic, Fenri noted as members of Falkensekt, a syndicate invested in some questionable activity whom Diamond Dust have crossed paths and traded blows with on many occasions throughout history. Their shadowy operations put them on the opposite end of Diamond Dust’s humanitarian efforts and have led them into deadly situations more than once. David also knew that Zero had a more personal relationship to Falkensekt when dealing with Mistral entities like the Janus Chamber, but only knew cursory details about the situation, he and Zero’s relationship fell short of that level of intimacy. If this woman was the operative code named VNYM then her partner, code named HNTR probably accompanied her. David’s survey of the room left HNTR’s location unknown, and that only made him more anxious.

Watching them move toward the stairs, David worked up a cold sweat in the hot spring.

Shit.

David started to stand and wade to the edge of the spring to exit, looking for where he placed his clothing. A quick scan showed him they disappeared, but how? Was he too fixated on Veronica to notice someone pickpocket his whole outfit? They even took the complimentary towels by the pool, or the inn was out and that was just misfortunate timing.

“Tch,” he scoffed, stepping one soaked foot out of the spring when a loud ~*POP*~ filled the room from the Arceneauxs corner. When he looked over, The couple’s eyes were locked on David as they smiled, opening a magnum bottle of sparkling wine with a bang, accepting the soft applause from the other patrons over whatever event they assumed the couple were celebrating. While Mr. Arcenaux poured a perfect glass for his lovely wife, leering at David, Mrs. Arcenaux planted the tip of her index finger into the table with her knuckle facing the wet operative, mouthing silently what looked to David to say “sit down.” He considered it for a second, whether or not he should make a move in his knickers, but Mrs. Arcenaux tapping her finger a few times brought his eye beneath their tablecloth where he could see his whole kit underneath her chair.

You gotta be kidding me… This could not be any worse.

His hands were tied. The Arcenauxs clearly wanted him to stay put, so they had a scheme to work out here. If so, he couldn’t risk endangering Lana or Zero on a very well founded hunch. A brawl in this lovely space would tarnish Diamond Dust’s reputation and that was more important to him than convicting Zero. Lana’s livelihood he couldn’t compromise on, knowing that one wrong move could jeopardize the whole operation for them. David begrudgingly sat back down in the hot springs defeated in this battle. He and the Arcenauxs watched the receptionist follow Bo and Veronica up the stairs and out of sight.

The receptionist was chuckling as she followed the drowsy pair to the third floor, where her potent solution brought them to their knees. Veronica collapsed completely out of Bo’s arms while he tried to steady himself.

“Just do me a favor and take a nap, yeah? I got a job to do, so it’s nothing personal.”

The receptionist stepped over Veronica and Bo and laughed her way up to the next flight toward Lana and the glass bound Zero Venkage at her hip.
Zero Venkage wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:59 pm
Just as his mind started to wander, imagining the lush interior he wouldn’t be able to actually enjoy from the inside of a bottle, a figure stood at the opposite end of the hallway cloaked in black. The soft light of the lodge hid their face completely from sight and they stood directly in front of one of the doors. Zero couldn’t tell from inside the bottle if it was friend or foe, but they looked at least a bit familiar. Something about their cloak rang a bell, just another nod to days long passed.

What Zero heard was nothing but a faint whisper. The same glassy material that was able to keep under lock and key also prevented any energies from penetrating it, and it cut him off from Bo completely. As a prisoner, he went where his captors went and they seemed to mean to isolate him for the evening, they didn’t even let Bo talk to him before they get here.

”Hmmm… Weird. Lana, you know that guy?”

It definitely wasn’t Bo waiting at the end of the hall, it had to be someone else and they looked like they were expecting someone. That realization and the strange sound from before made Zero a little bit worried, unfortunately with little recourse from the inside of a bottle.
“I don’t… “ Couldn’t he hav just been wrong this one time?

Lana got the same briefing from Fenri before being dispatched to Uran and the individual before matched the demeanor and modus opera did of the Falkensekt op, HNTR. Conveniently, this operative was the only one who Lana remembered, she had been fuming over being assigned to this Zero Venkage search party throughout most of Fenri’s lecture. Still, fuming would get her nowhere here, face to face with anticipated resistance.

Lana stopped at the threshold of the hallway. The figure sighed, finally able to make their move on their prize. They started slowly closing the distance between them and Lana, an eerily calm voice coming from the shadow beneath their hood accented by a dulcet jingle accompanying each of their footsteps.

“I’m going to give you 10 seconds to hand over that bottle. After that, I’m going to take it from you. Choose wisely.”

“I’m surprised you can count that high.”

“8.”

Lana took a step back, keeping some space between her and the encroaching foe. She kept eye contact, confident he’d keep his word until the countdown got to 3 or so. With five seconds to spare, her mind raced with options and scenarios, having great difficulty with options that could prevent unnecessary damage to the building or its guests. She could make a break for it and rendezvous with David downstairs, or so she thought until she heard a mischievous voice from the flight below her.

“7,” the receptionist said, joining in on her partner’s countdown. Lana’s neck snapped around to see who it was and she immediately recognized another player from Fenri’s lecture. Like David had assumed, unbeknownst to her, HNTR’s partner VNYM alighted after knocking out the other members of Lana’s party a floor below. Locked between HNTR and VNYM, Lana’s heart dropped. What started as a controllable situation quickly devolved into a dire ordeal.

“6,” HNTR said, encroaching on her closer, dropping his hands loosely to his sides as some bony digits appeared from his sleeves and started coiling up and around his arms.

“5,” VNYM said, brandishing a karambit twirling around her pointer finger, eyes trained on Lana like a panther on its cornered prey.

Lana kept stepping back, moving to get her back to the wall to make sure she could keep both predators in her eyesight, but still moving slowly. She had a second left before she needed to move and very limited options.

Return to “Exploration”