A Spectral Anamoly [End]

These are areas outside of the realms of the Alliance. Venture out into Vescrutia's open world and explore. Go anywhere and show us a side of Vescrutia that might not have been discovered yet.
Okoye
Drifter

A Spectral Anamoly [End]

Post by Okoye »

The Aa'ola Korev was a mystical, verdant tropical forest where the rain fell endlessly and the soil was forever drenched.

Towering trees reached towards the heavens with branches adorned with cascading vines and shimmering epiphytes. Giant ferns unfurl their delicate fronds, their emerald hues illuminated by the soft glow of phosphorescent fungi that carpet the forest floor. Moss-covered rocks glisten with moisture, while delicate orchids bloom in hidden alcoves; their vibrant petals a stark contrast against the muted tones of the rain-soaked landscape.

Amidst the dense foliage, a symphony of life flourishes. Vibrant avian creatures with iridescent plumage flit through the canopy, their melodious songs echoing through the mist-shrouded trees. Butterflies, their wings like stained glass windows, dance on the gentle breeze, while elusive creatures with shimmering scales and luminous eyes slink through the underbrush, their forms blending seamlessly with the shadows.

Beneath the surface of the crystal-clear rivers and streams that crisscross the realm, a dazzling array of aquatic life thrives. Rainbow-hued fish dart through the water, their sleek bodies glinting in the sunlight that filters through the dense foliage above. Elegant water lilies bloom on the surface, their delicate petals unfurling to reveal hidden sanctuaries teeming with life.

But it is not only the flora and fauna of the Aa'ola that captivate the imagination. Deep within the heart of the realm, hidden beneath the tangled roots of ancient trees, lie mystical beings, guardians of the land and keepers of its secrets. Spirits of the forest, with eyes as old as time itself, are said to watch over the realm with a sense of quiet wisdom, their ethereal forms blending seamlessly with the mist and rain.

Within The Aa'ola, where the rain never ceases and the wonders of magic and nature intertwine, every corner of the realm is alive with magic and mystery, waiting to be discovered by those brave enough to explore its depths.

--

However, once Okoye was teleported here from Erigor's Sanctum, she was immediately taken aback. She found that the magical ecosystem was flipped upside down and any visage of life seemed to have been snuffed out under the unbearable heat.

The sky was a clear, blazing red orange. Not a cloud in sight. The arid was thick and dry. The once rich soil was replaced by jaggy, cracked sandstone terrain. The trees were dried up and splintered.. Every second she could hear the crack of snapping oak in the distance and the simmer of some not too distant ember. Okoye covered her nose at the repugnant scents emanating from the ground. Chemicals borne from whatever inferno that rolled through this forest poisoned the air with an industrial scent that burned the lungs. It was worse than she thought. Far more nightmarish than the images Erigor showed her back at Helidor.

Okoye was already starting to feel the heat.. She didn't even know which way she was supposed to go, but she was asked to meet up with this prestigious sage. A sorcerer who somehow predicted she would arrive at Helidor and asked to meet with her, by name. Well, by her title anyway.

“...”

She never met a psychic before, and never ran into a fortune teller that she trusted with her money. Yet this woman, only known by her sobriquet, knew everything about her. And seemingly her future as well. How she managed to survive out here for as long as she did was mysterious enough, but Okoye didn't want to just keel over before she found her. So she just picked a direction and started walking.
Last edited by Okoye on Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okoye
Drifter

Re: A Spectral Anamoly

Post by Okoye »

As Okoye trudged through the desolate landscape, her senses attuned to the eerie silence that hung heavy in the air. The once-lush foliage had withered and wilted under the oppressive heat, their emerald hues fading to a sickly brown as if drained of life itself.

Among the jagged rocks and parched earth, she spotted the charred remains of what once were towering trees, their blackened husks reaching towards the crimson sky like accusing fingers.

Cautiously, she approached one of the fallen giants, its trunk split open by the force of some unseen inferno. Within the hollow cavity, she discovered a series of intricate carvings etched into the wood—a language long forgotten, its meaning obscured by the passage of time. Brushing away the layer of ash that coated the surface, Okoye traced her fingers along the faded glyphs, trying to decipher their message.. but to no avail.

As she studied the enigmatic markings, Okoye discovered a peculiar sight– a cluster of wilted flowers within the hollowed tree, their petals shriveled and dried as if scorched by some ambiguous force. Kneeling down she examined the desiccated blooms and noted a faint residue of something incredibly powerful. Just reaching for the wilted flower affected her; it reminded her of spiritual energy, only it was far more malicious than anything she'd seen.

“...”

She narrowed her gaze, causing her crimson pupils to glimmer like polished crystal as they peered beyond the physical realm- one of the few skills Ellios passed unto her prior to his death. Among other things, it granted the user the ability to perceive the astral realm, as well as the various mediums of energy that fluctuate in between. And what Okoye saw stiffened the hairs on the nape of her neck.

“Like Mana, but..”

..Demonic..

The things she absorbed from Euriel's Reports were still fresh on her mind, such as his description concerning demons and devils. How they exuded a malignance so thick and pure it could distort the mind. She felt it in her chest, and it gnarled her stomach until she felt sick. And though she had never seen one before, the sensation was unmistakable.

”...”

She continued her exploration. Soon Okoye stumbled upon a dried-up riverbed, its once-flowing waters reduced to a mere trickle. Along the banks, she noticed strange symbols carved into the stone—an ancient script used to communicate with the spirits of the land. And though weathered and faded, the symbols seemed to pulse with a faint, ethereal glow, as if imbued with the lingering magic of the forest itself.

”What happened here?”

She thought, opting to follow the fading symbols along the craggy surfaces. If the Spectral Fang was a clairvoyant, then it was reasonable to assume that summoned Okoye here for a reason.. She had her suspicions, she just really didn't want to be right.

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

As Okoye followed the fading symbols deeper into the heart of the dismal forest, she began to sense a shift in the atmosphere—a subtle stirring of life amidst the desolation. The air was suddenly breathable and didn't burn her lungs.

Soon, she emerged into a small clearing where she found a “hut” that was unlike any she had ever seen. The exterior of the structure was crafted from a network of intertwined roots and branches that pulsed with a soft, rhythmic energy. All sorts of ethereal flora adorned the lawn as well, casting otherworldly glow unto the surrounding area.

This place, unlike the entire area around her, seemed unphased by the plague and she couldn't discern why until she noticed the sigils carved unto the ground, just outside the door of the hut. They were the same runes she'd seen etched onto the walls of Gilded Fangs Headquarters. She could tell they were powerful, but more importantly, she could tell she'd found the person she was looking for.

–Drawing a deep breath, Okoye approached the hut with a mixture of trepidation and determination. She had come seeking answers, hoping to unravel the mysteries that had brought her to this desolate corner of the world.

Once she stepped inside she was immediately fascinated by the structure of the hut, the likes of which seemed to defy conventional notions of space and time. It was larger on the inside, but not by much. The first thing she noticed were the bioluminescent plants lining the walls with delicate tendrils that mimicked strands of luminous thread. Their soft, pulsating light casted shifting shadows across the room, creating an amorphous tapestry of color and form. At the center of the hut stood a crystal obelisk almost eight feet tall, its surface etched with intricate runes and sigils that seem to shimmer with an inner light. And knelt on the floor in front of the idol was a visage of a woman, concealed beneath the hood of her majestic sapphire gown. The tail of her garments pooled along the floor like flowing water, and fit the woman more like a bedsheet than any sort of regalia.

She sat with her legs folded and facing the door when Okoye barged inside. Their eyes met, and Okoye felt a shiver run down her spine as she beheld the woman's penetrating gaze. There was an intensity to her presence, a wisdom that seemed to transcend the bounds of mortal understanding..

"Are you the Spectral Fang?" Okoye's disembodied voice broke the silence, her words echoing softly in the confines of the hut.

“Hmm, I wonder if Erigor even remembers my name at this point,"

Came the reply, tinged with a hint of bitterness that hinted at a deeper history between the two.

Undeterred, Okoye pressed on, her curiosity piqued by the womanw cryptic demeanor. "Do you know who I am?" she asked, her tone expectant as she waited for a response.

"No... But I know who you will become."

The Spectral Fang's reply was enigmatic, hinting at a knowledge that transcended the present moment. Slowly, she lifted from her position and started off toward the crystal obelisk. It was then that Okoye got a better visual of the woman beneath the veil; she looked to belong to a species of fae, but none that she'd seen before.

"Have you finished reading?" The woman continued with her back turned.

"Reading?" Okoye's confusion was palpable, her mind racing to grasp the significance of the question.

"Euriel's scripts... have you done as he asked and committed his ledgers to memory?"The Spectral Fang's words hung in the air, weighted with meaning. She talked as she pressed her hand to the crystal.

"Wait.. How did you–" Okoye began, her thoughts in disarray.

But then, a realization dawned upon her. The woman before her was a fortune teller, gifted with the ability to peer beyond the veil of time.

"Right– Yes.. I have," Okoye admitted, her voice tinged with reluctant acknowledgement.

"And have you carved the symbol onto your flesh? Chest, neck and back?"

The Spectral Fang's question cut through the haze of Okoye's thoughts, bringing her back to the present moment. Okoye's eyes widened at those words. As if she were embarrassed or ashamed at the answer. She didn't respond, but her silence was telling.

“..hm.. then you've truly committed your soul to the pact.”

"..Is this why I'm here? To just rehash things that we both know have happened?" Her voice held a note of irritation. Her patience was wearing thin. But that frustration simmered beneath the surface as she awaited the woman’s response.

“Why am I here?” Okoye finally asked, her voice tinged with a cocktail of curiosity and apprehension.

It was then that the Spectral Fang removed her hood and turned to face Okoye, revealing her spectacular appearance– and at first glance, Okoye could tell this woman fae born. She possessed flawless physiological features blessed from her mystical origins. Her skin was radiant and her hair a tamed stream of platinum, braided with baubles and trinkets. She was as beautiful as she was majestic. However, Okoye noticed beneath her gown that the Spectral Fang had been injured. She saw her hand gingerly pressed against a large gash across her abdomen, where a faint glow from her palm prevented her blood and organs from spilling out.

“You are here because you seek power. Or rather, you lust after it.. and thus believe that I have called you here because I can help you attain it. I cannot. I have asked you here to warn you against what you've already found.”

She continued, her voice harboring a weight of solemnity and concern. But Okoye's gaze had already shifted from the mesmerizing words of The Spectral Fang to the gash across her abdomen. A mixture of concern and fascination flickered in her crimson eyes.

"You're injured," she remarked, her disembodied voice soft and laden with genuine concern. "Let me help you."

The Spectral Fang regarded Okoye with a somber expression, her hollow gaze reflecting the weight of her injuries and the burden she carried. "This wound is not one that can be healed by mortal hands," she said, her voice heavy with resignation.

Okoye's brow furrowed in confusion, her mind racing to comprehend the implications of The Spectral Fang's words. "What do you mean?" she asked, her voice pinged with uncertainty.

The Spectral Fang sighed, a weary expression crossing her features as she spoke. "You seek power, Okoye, but you fail to understand the consequences of wielding it. Indicative from the marks on your neck, chest and back.." she explained, her voice tinged with a note of regret. "The path you tread is fraught with more death than glory, and if you continue on this course, you may find yourself consumed by the very forces you seek to control."

Okoye's heart skipped a beat at the gravity of The Spectral Fang's warning, a chill running down her spine as she considered the implications of her actions. Demons.. they were perpetrators of the Spectral Fang's injury and without a doubt the reason for this unexplainable drought.

"..I know what I’m doing.”

she asserted, her disembodied voice barely above a whisper. “I've read Euriel's scripts and I've tempered my soul, more than even Ellios could have predicted. If you've simply called me here to underestimate me, or ward me in some other direction than my destiny, then you're wasting your time.. and mine”[

The Spectral Fang's gaze softened, a glimmer of compassion shining in her eyes as she regarded Okoye. "You must learn to temper your ambition with humility, to wield power with wisdom and restraint." she said, her voice gentle but firm. "Only then will you be able to navigate the treacherous waters that lie ahead and emerge unscathed on the other side.”

Okoye's arms folded tightly across her chest as she spoke, her voice flint with skepticism. "I don't enjoy riddles." she stated flatly.

The Spectral Fang's smirk remained, her eyes gleaming with a hint of amusement. "Yet, you've managed to decipher them nonetheless." she retorted, her tone laced with a knowing edge.

"You seek power.." she continued, her voice carrying the weight of her cosmic wisdom. "But power demands sacrifice."

A spark of defiance flickered in Okoye's eyes. "I understand the risks." she asserted, her tone unwavering.

The Spectral Fang's gaze bore into hers, a mixture of concern and sorrow in her eyes. "But do you truly comprehend them?" she countered, her voice heavy with warning. "Euriel's techniques are steeped in darkness.. He bartered his immortal soul for power and was ultimately swallowed by his own ambition. His journal serves as a cautionary tale, yet you intend to follow in his footsteps.. What makes you think your fate will be any different?"

Okoye's jaw tightened, her resolve unyielding. "I am not Euriel." she declared firmly, her gaze unwavering. "I will carve my own destiny."

The Spectral Fang regarded her in silence for a moment, her expression a mix of admiration and sadness.

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

As the conversation unfolded between them, Okoye found herself at a crossroads, grappling with the weight of her untapped potential. Meanwhile the Spectral Fangs calm smile remained still and warm, despite the crimson rivulets running down her fingers.

"Have you discerned the nature of your Demon Art?" She asked. The only question Okoye heard so far that didn't sound rhetorical.

She hesitated. “I'm familiar with it, but I haven't fully mastered its application.”

Demon Arts were techniques developed by the Voudnai Tribe for the sole reason of hunting demons, spirits, or entities otherwise native to Unseen. Okoye read about it within Euriel's journal and even managed to develop the basis of her own.. but not much beyond the basis.

“Your Demon Art is perhaps your greatest tool against the forces of the Unseen–one that can turn the tide against even the most formidable of foes.”

The Spectral Fang's words hung heavy in the air, a reminder of the daunting task ahead. “The use of the skill is intimately different from user to user, no different than your anthem. But it is paramount that it is learned to be used not only reflexively, but with precision.”

Okoye's resolve hardened as she made a silent vow to harness the depths of her abilities. “And you're going to show me how, right? I'm ready.”

“I am not.” She said, wincing at the pain stemming from her dripping midsection. “There is no time.. we must address the being responsible for my wounds. The same beast has been feeding on the life force of this forest and its inhabitants..”

“N-now?!”

Okoye looked stunned by the woman's words. She certainly didn't feel confident about confronting a demon capable of harming someone as powerful as one of the four Perennial Fangs. But just then, a sense of urgency crept into her heart and suffocated every other emotion she thought she would feel. Fear.. anxiety.. doubt.. all of it was drowned out by the sound of her own inner voice. She didn’t realize it, but she was smiling.

"How do we kill it?"

“Carefully.” The Spectral Fang's response was measured as she outlined their strategy. With a flick of her wrist, the crystal obelisk behind her morphed into a staff forged of the same material. It began to hum with a soft green glow that stretched from its base to its sharpened tip before warping into her grasp. This caused the “hut” of roots and bioluminescent foliage to disassemble slowly around them, revealing the scorching clear sky overhead once again.

“Your Demon Art will be the only tool in your arsenal capable of affecting its body. My ability allows me to perceive various timelines and parallel worlds, through which I've learned the creature's strength and vulnerabilities. It absorbs moisture, and its avarice has claimed the lives of over a million creatures so far. And it has only been three days.”

Okoye nodded to herself as she readied the only fist she had for battle. had made a full recovery barely a week ago, but she was filled with more of an appetite for battle than ever before. She felt stronger, faster than she did when she fought for her life within the Forest of Resonance. And she knew this feeling wasn't just hubris. It was a part of her Mazoku biology; any event that drew her close to death strengthened her body's cellular integrity. This notion had her practically salivating at the opportunity to test her power. Whether or not she could perfect her Demon Art on the fly was the only variable.

“Just give me an opening..” Okoye said as her eyes narrowed into daggers, vindictive and anxious as she steeled herself for a battle unlike any she'd had before. Her eyes began to glimmer with her crimson hue, prepared to see the Unseen. “I need to get in close, but I'm not afraid.”

“Embrace your fear as a guide, not your jailer.” The Spectral Fang retorted as she began to channel her spiritual energy. This caused the sigils along her porcelain flesh to begin to sift like living serpents. “True strength is measured not by the absence of fear, but through mastery of it.”

With those words, the surface beneath their feet began to shift and throttle. The already arid atmosphere grew more stringent and dry, as a twister kicked up from every square inch of the wasteland. The empty canvas of blazing orange hanging above the heads of Okoye and The Spectral Fang began to twist and darken until a sentient shadow assembled before their eyes. It was massive, larger than hundreds of storm clouds and infinitely as violent. Black bolts of malevolent spiritual energy rattled the heavens with enough force to rip Vescrutia's crust into splinters. Slowly a face and features forged from the swirling darkness- a terrifying face fueled from the destruction of a million mortal souls. This entity had no name, but carried a rich history that extended to the homes of archaic generations buried beneath the tides of time. It held no solid form, the sky itself was its muse. Arms and legs that whipped about like tendrils of black ether, where disembodied pools of water served as its core. Its fangs were thick and its eyes darker than the bowls of the sea. Both of which found their sights pointed at the tiny mortals below. It wasted no time and hardly any thought. In an instant, it's smog like appendages coalesced into tendrils that ripped through the sky in their effort to assault the two women. It immediately recognized one of them as a notable threat, while the other one was simply food.

Both of the women struck a defensive stance as they struggled against the sudden gales of wind. “Brace yourself, Okoye!!” She urged as she plunged her staff into the earth once again, generating a translucent barrier of crystals around them.

Okoye glared through the crystal surface of their protective domicile, taken aback by the sheer magnitude of the creature above them. This was a demon.. The very first she'd ever seen. It was abhorrent.. as much of an eldritch nightmare as Euriel and Ellios described them to be. “Shit- He's way bigger than I thought he'd be.”

Okoye could feel her teeth chattering, but her heart only quickened with fervor. She began to harness her own spiritual energy into her fist, following the directives Euriel laid out before her. An immense degree of concentration was required for someone on her level, as well as a conscious focus on her breathing. “How long can you hold this barrier?” She asked with her voice tense with urgency, still refusing to divert her focus from her hand. It began to manifest an opaque bubble of spiritual pressure around her wrist.

“In my condition, not long enough..”

The Spectral Fang admitted, her voice strained with effort. But despite her words she pressed on-applying both of her hands to her staff and causing the crystal dome to ignite with a powerful ivory inferno. This rebuffed the tendrils of the demon and forced it to recoil in pain upon collision. “But you will be given your window.”

Okoye
Drifter

Post by Okoye »

As the barrier strained against the relentless assault of the demon's tendrils, Okoye remained within, her focus unwavering as she channeled her spiritual energy into her fist. The opaque bubble of power surrounding her wrist grew brighter with each passing moment, pulsating with raw energy.

However, the demon intensified its onslaught after it was burned and lashed out with renewed ferocity. Thousands of tendrils descended from the sentient cloud and whipped across the surface of the barrier. With each blow, the domicile trembled, threatening to collapse under the relentless assault.. adding stress to the already injured Spectral Fang

“Whatever you are planning, Okoye.. you must do it now.” She pleaded through gritted teeth. "The creature has retained more strength than I thought.. I cannot.. hold on--"

Sensing the urgency of the situation, Okoye made a split-second decision. This would be the first time she ever employed her Demon Art, but without a proper metric she had to rely on instinct to discern whether or not she was ready. But she knew that the time needed to be now. So with a determined expression, she emerged from the safety of the barrier, her fist still charged with energy. She lowered her body and buckled her knees before launching herself toward her airborne target with explosive impetus.

Okoye sliced through the sky like a bullet enroute for the swirling mass of evil. Her fist, now an iridescent orb of ivory light, had been lunged behind her shoulder. Accumulating more and more energy the closer she encroached. But it would be for nought.

The demon's tendrils had triplified during its murderous assault, and several of them intercepted Okoye mid-flight before she managed to reach her foe. They assaulted her from every direction; fifty– eighty– nearly a hundred different sentient streams of boiling hot darkness whipped at her flesh before one of them slammed her back to the ground, with ten times the force she used to catapult to the sky. The impact of her body dug out a massive crater into the ground and left her writhing in agony.

Witnessing Okoye's plight, The Spectral Fang's eyes blazed with determination.

“NO!!”

Behind a primal roar, she ignited the fiery barrier, causing a burst of energy to ripple through the air in undulating waves of heat. This directly affected the demon's amorphous body and weakened its grip on the physical realm. Its howls were disturbingly unnatural– sharp, unintelligible whines that literally bled the color from the sky. The demon noticeably shrunk in size and stature, but the Spectral Fang's effective technique quickly made her its main priority. Immediately, the shadowy creature retracted its swarm of tendrils and solidified its body into a more concrete arbiter of death. It stood nearly twelve feet tall, with vascular clawed extremities tailored for terrestrial terrorism. The demon moved via teleportation, appearing instantly in front of the Spectral Fang’s barrier and using all of its might to bash through her defenses. Each blow of its scaly fists brought cracks to the mystical shell of crystal and fire.. the effort of maintaining the construct had brought the Spectral Fang to her knees.

But Okoye had long sense pushed through the pain, and her resolve was still unwavering. Her body looked as if she'd been submerged in boiling water: most of her skin and face was covered in scalds and blisters. But her fist was still blazing with that same unearthly glow. She managed to rise out of own crater and sneak up on the demon during its rampage on the Spectral Fang. This was the window she spoke of. A clear shot at an unsuspecting enemy. She wouldn't waste this opportunity.

She charged the beast like a rapid animal. The demon was too focused on its target to predict or intercept Okoye's tenacious strike, but managed to turn its head around just in time to see their killer's face-- a twisted mixture of excitement and intrigue. Okoye's fist struck true, and landed on the back of her target. Upon collision the blistering orb enveloping Okoye's fist seemed to burst, unleashing a worldshaking amount of spiritual energy- enough that to literally leave “cracks” along the air itself where her punch connected. The damage dealt to the monster was incomprehensible, and eviscerated its corporeal form beneath a tempest of explosive force. What remained of the creature was a fleeting wisp of energy, the likes of which Okoye subconsciously inhaled during her desperate gasps for air. This caused the markings along her chest, neck and back to shimmer with a bright light before ultimately fading away.

As the echoes of their victory faded into the distance, Okoye and The Spectral Fang stood amidst the aftermath, their breaths coming in ragged gasps. But despite the exhaustion weighing heavily upon them, a sense of triumph burned bright in their eyes. "We did it." She thought to herself as she shared a weary but triumphant smile with the Spectral Fang, who nodded in agreement without a word ever being said.

"You did well. You possess extraordinary power." She commented with a sense of pride. "Do you think you'll be alright?"

"I'll survive.." Okoye replied, using her earrings to convey her thoughts. "Clara is an excellent doctor.. besides I heal faster than others.. I thought you'd know that."

"Your physical wounds are not my concern." The Spectral Fang approached Okoye tentatively, as if their battle had not quite ended. She held her staff tight before she spoke again."Upon excorcising that demon, I saw its essence merge into your body.. Even now I can feel its presence in your soul. It is feint but.."

Okoye's expression softened, a flicker uncertainty crossing her mangled face before she responded with determination. "..listen to me when I tell you this, Spectral Fang. I know what I'm doing. I appreciate your guidness.. but I'm fine, alright? And if I'm not.. I'm sure you'll be the first to know."

She affirmed and the Spectral Fang nodded in understanding. Her silent support a comforting presence amidst the uncertainty ahead. "You may call me Azele'-- and when you return, do remind Erigor of that. " With a tap of her scepter, the powerful sorcerer released a wave of Mana that jumpstarted the revitalization of the A'aola Korev, starting the subtle cracks of thunder followed by a downpour of rain. The ground immediately responded by unearthing a network of roots that traveled under and across the recently arid crust.

The progress would take weeks if not months, but without the demon draining the life from the rainforest, balance would soon return to this ecosystem. Azele' then performed a handsign that caused a rune to appear beneath Okoye's feet, initiating the process of returning her to Helidor.

"Wait-" Okoye harked as her body was enveloped in celestial light. "Why did you help me?" She asked with urgency, unsure how long the process would take. "You're a psychic-- you knew how this would end, and that I wouldn't listen. Why do it?"

Azele responded with a warming smile. But Okoye would be telported away before she could speak.

"Because I have seen beyond your pride.. your passion, your heart. An Emporer with your qualities will be good for Helidor.'

-End

Return to “Exploration”